Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:48 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

OP, I don't know why people who are actually educated about the culinary scene in the US would laugh that you rank it relatively high on your best food list! American food is far more than just hot dogs and bagels. Even to the extent that we've borrowed from elsewhere, we do it damn well and/or have made it our own. I love BBQ, the chowders and seafood of the NE, creole/cajun in Louisiana, southern comfort/soul food, fresh white fish from the Great Lakes, etc. Making myself hungry just writing this!

As to the initial post:

Best travel destination for food
1. Ghana (haven't been, but I'm very familiar with Ghanaian cuisine)

Best for natural beauty
1. USA - such great variety abounds

Best for relaxing
1. Australia

Best for history
1. UK

Best for the people
1. India

Best for architecture
1. Turkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Food:
France. But there is a lot of mediocre food so it is not a sure thing.
I've found this, too, which is what made my visit the France all the more disappointing. When a country's cuisine is hyped as much as France's is, anything that doesn't live up to the hype probably weights heavier than it should in terms of bringing down the country's culinary reputation. At least it does for me.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've found this, too, which is what made my visit the France all the more disappointing. When a country's cuisine is hyped as much as France's is, anything that doesn't live up to the hype probably weights heavier than it should in terms of bringing down the country's culinary reputation. At least it does for me.
There is absolutely no better country for food than France. The dairy products, the vegetables, the bread and pastry, the wines. The precision and standards they apply to ingredients and cooking are un-equaled. In French cities, every block has shops for cheese, fruit, veg, seafood, chocolate, oil, vinegar, not to mention cutlery, everything you need to make an artful feast. And though other cities may have these shops as well, none compare to the quality of the French. The fresh markets are also un-equaled.

Entire articles have been written about one brand of French butter, just one brand. The same can be said about so many other French ingredients.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...d-7546092.html

As the chef in that article says, "To get the best results, you need the best possible ingredients." That's pretty much the French motto.

There are even shops in other countries, like Japan, devoted to selling French Echir̩ butter Рand only Echir̩ butter.

However, if you think bread from the grocery store is just fine, then France and its food are not for you.

Last edited by sinatras; 04-18-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
There is absolutely no better country for food than France. The dairy products, the vegetables, the bread and pastry, the wines. The precision and standards they apply to ingredients and cooking are un-equaled. In French cities, every block has shops for cheese, fruit, veg, seafood, chocolate, oil, vinegar, not to mention cutlery, everything you need to make an artful feast. And though other cities may have these shops as well, none compare to the quality of the French. The fresh markets are also un-equaled.

Entire articles have been written about one brand of French butter, just one brand. The same can be said about so many other French ingredients.

The best bit of butter: What makes Echiré a stand-out spread? | The Independent

As the chef in that article says, "To get the best results, you need the best possible ingredients." That's pretty much the French motto.

There are even shops in other countries, like Japan, devoted to selling French Echiré butter – and only Echiré butter.

However, if you think bread from the grocery store is just fine, then France and its food are not for you.
We clearly disagree, but that's ok.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Food
1. USA
2. China
3. Italy
4. Mexico

Natural beauty
1. USA
2. China
3. New Zealand
4. Italy

Relaxing
1. Caribbean Island countries, too many to list
2. Thailand
3. USA
4. Italy

History
1. Israel
2. Italy
3. China
4. Mexico

People
1. China (only as a foreigner)
2. USA/Canada
3. Thailand
4. Mexico

Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
the classic, well planned Florida Road trip is always fun.

you can spend a very nice 2 week vacation taking a loop of gulf and atlantic beaches all the way down to the keys. throw in Orlando and do all the water parks while you are at it.
Plan well, and it will be a blast.

we clocked 1500 miles over a span of 16 days, and hit most of the beach areas. we planned for non touristy beach towns. Florida State parks are well kept. We did Orlando for a few days, those big wave pools are the best.

we went for the best deals on car rental and hotels with free breakfast or lavish activity pools. Some hotels had lazy rivers! Research and plan is key.

Some of the non chain restaurants / pubs / smoke BBQ places offered the best home cooked meals.

Yes there are other exotic locals, with pristine scenery, but don't overlook what you have at home.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the classic, well planned Florida Road trip is always fun.

you can spend a very nice 2 week vacation taking a loop of gulf and atlantic beaches all the way down to the keys. throw in Orlando and do all the water parks while you are at it.
Plan well, and it will be a blast.

we clocked 1500 miles over a span of 16 days, and hit most of the beach areas. we planned for non touristy beach towns. Florida State parks are well kept. We did Orlando for a few days, those big wave pools are the best.

we went for the best deals on car rental and hotels with free breakfast or lavish activity pools. Some hotels had lazy rivers! Research and plan is key.

Some of the non chain restaurants / pubs / smoke BBQ places offered the best home cooked meals.

Yes there are other exotic locals, with pristine scenery, but don't overlook what you have at home.
Yeah I also like that kind of roadtrip travelling, I prefer Arizona/Utah/Colorado/NewMexico/California for that though. In terms of landscape, Florida is too flat for me. Well, that is why America is my top1 for natural beauty, it is extremely diverse and you have everything from beaches to snow covered mountains.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Food:
Mexico
China

Natural Beauty
USA (Hawaii, USVI, Colorado)

Relaxing
USVI
Cayman Islands

History:
USA

People:
USA
Mexico
Jamaica

Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no better country for food than France.
For you this is true, for me it isn't. I'm happier eating in Thailand, India, or China than in France.

Quote:
I like French food just fine, but this is a logic fail of epic proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel