Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was surprised by that incident. I used to travel a lot and never once have I seen it come down to taking someone off the plane. The gate crew were aware that they were over booked and found volunteers before the plane was boarded.

You know how overbooking happens right ? The airline intentionally over sells flights betting that some people will not show. AND rather then fly with empty seats, they oversell.
basically they don't want to take the risk of having empty seats (despite the fact that those seats were paid for already), but want to let the passengers take the risk of paying for the seats and not being able to fly.

What kind of logic is that?

It is fair when there are volunteers who want to change the flight for a compensation. But if they don't, it is purely the airline's responsiblity to make everyone happy. A passenger has no responsibility to give up his paid seats just because the airline sold more than it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
basically they don't want to take the risk of having empty seats (despite the fact that those seats were paid for already), but want to let the passengers take the risk of paying for the seats and not being able to fly.

What kind of logic is that?

It is fair when there are volunteers who want to change the flight for a compensation. But if they don't, it is purely the airline's responsiblity to make everyone happy. A passenger has no responsibility to give up his paid seats just because the airline sold more than it has.
The no-shows at the gate could already have applied for a refund at the last minute... when people book tickets months in advance, they never know what might come up at the last minute that could prevent them from taking a trip. Thus the reason why cancellation insurance is sold. If a no-show is getting a refund processed, then there's basically an empty seat at the last minute that *isn't* paid for. I guess that's the logic of the overselling, to hedge against those circumstances.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

And another thought: is there any other business besides airlines that does such a thing? Overbooks customers and then bumps some of them? I can't think of any.
Have you ever showed up to your Doctor's appointment (or some other appointment--your car repair took longer?) and had to wait a long time for your appointment? Lots of doctors overbooked because they know so many people with cancel same day or be a no-show. When you are on time--probably someone canceled out. If you have to wait--you have been oversold! The difference between doctor appointments (or most other appointments) is-you don't get compensated. You have just been bumped to the next available time slot.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Have you ever showed up to your Doctor's appointment (or some other appointment--your car repair took longer?) and had to wait a long time for your appointment? Lots of doctors overbooked because they know so many people with cancel same day or be a no-show. When you are on time--probably someone canceled out. If you have to wait--you have been oversold! The difference between doctor appointments (or most other appointments) is-you don't get compensated. You have just been bumped to the next available time slot.
AND the doctor is obligated to see you, no matter how late it is. They won't drag you out by force.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The no-shows at the gate could already have applied for a refund at the last minute... when people book tickets months in advance, they never know what might come up at the last minute that could prevent them from taking a trip. Thus the reason why cancellation insurance is sold. If a no-show is getting a refund processed, then there's basically an empty seat at the last minute that *isn't* paid for. I guess that's the logic of the overselling, to hedge against those circumstances.
Yes they could have, but more likely they just missed the plane for whatever reason. Very few people actually buy tickets that are fully reimbursable on the day of the flight. If you don't believe, try to buy a ticket, don't show, and then ask for a refund. You won't get it. The very rare case they can be refunded is the expensive ones for corporate trips.

When people book well in advance, yes there is always a chance they can't make it, but cancellation insurance is far more restricting than that. You have to be really sick (like need an major operation sick case) or major natural disaster. In 99.9% of the case, it is a waste of money, and just another way for airlines to make more money (even if it is only $15). Have you tried it? The beauty of cancellation insurance is that you almost never quality for a payment.

I understand the logic of overselling of course. However, the airline is by NO WAY justifed by removing a pasenger forcifully when he had already checked in and sat in his seat, and explicitly said he didn't want to change the flight.

You can't say "well, but businesses always have the right to refuse service", yes they do, but refuse BEFORE accepting the payment and making a contractual agreement!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I can't think of any valid excuse for the airline to bump you off if you already paid for your ticket, picked your seats, and checked in and got to the gate on time. If doing all of the above doesn't guarantee that you won't be kicked off because the flight is overbooked, then please enlighten me.
Every ticket purchased on every airline has a disclaimer that states you might get bumped without recourse. When you purchase that ticket, you agree to it.

If the airline has a crew that needs to get to your destination, they are priority because they fly and man the planes that make that airline money.

This kind of thing happens every day, all over the world. The only reason United's incident is in the news is because one person decided to have a temper tantrum, forcing the airline to physically remove him from the plane. He was asked nicely to leave several times, and he refused.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Although it is legal to oversell airline tickets (because the airlines write their own regulations), I still consider it fraudulent. Just imagine if the NFL sold 95,000 Superbowl tickets for a stadium with 75,000 seats then offered to buy them back at a price far below their value ($400 first offer, $800 second offer, and forceful relocation for the final offer). I think in these situations, the airline should be required to buy the tickets back in a fair non-coerced transaction. Of course no one will accept $800 bucks - it doesn't nearly cover the cost of the inconvenience. But at $2,000 I bet they would have had a taker and at $5,000 they certainly would have.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
As long as you're in coach, you're at risk. Pigs will fly before they even remotely consider bumping anyone from first class.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I think it's very unfair and a rotten thing to do to customers. People fly because they need to get somewhere, usually need to get there fast. A person is not going to accept any amount of money if he is flying to his mother's funeral the next day. How about a person who's having a job interview the next morning? Gonna sleep in a hotel and take a flight the next afternoon?

What about the person who is flying to a cruise port? Is the ship going to wait an extra day for them? No, they miss their cruise. What do they do then? Their vacation is ruined.

Many people plan these trips for months in advance and won't be able to get time off from work again for a long time. I just can't imagine that many people have the flexibility to accept a payment and have their flight delayed until the next afternoon. It seems that profit is always more important than how we treat another human being!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:44 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
If they offered outright cash you would get more volunteers. Most people know an $800 voucher with a bunch of limitations and blackout dates just isn't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel