Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM

16,344 posts, read 12,301,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Just jumping in to share this antidote. I recently returned from Puerto Rico and had a doctor's appointment where I was asked if I was out of the country within the past 30 days. At first I said no, and then I said, well, I went to Puerto Rico, does that count? Apparently it did!
They probably meant to ask if you've been out of the Continental US, but worded the question poorly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 03:38 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,488,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
All those signs are vertical, except for the small ones. In Hong Kong the signs go like _______, but in other Chinese cities they go like
|
|
|
|
|
The ridiculousness of you thinking the direction of the neon signs makes it like a different country aside, here are some vertical signs in HK:

Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, if you visit Tahiti you visited France? That does not make any sense.
Yes. If you visit Tahiti you visit France. People are French and you get a French stamp on your passport. Doesn't matter if you don't view them as French.

If I visit Tahiti, I don't tell people I went to France, I tell people I went to Tahiti. Does that make sense? Tahiti is as much a part of France as Paris, but obviously it would create confusion if I simply tell people I went to France. If someone cared enough to clarify, I could say I went to Tahiti which is part of France.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,380,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Using that rule you can technically go to the Great Britian consulate office in downtown Houston or wherever they have them and then say you've been to Great Britian.
Claim to have taken a trip around the world? - Go to DC and visit embassies.
No, you can't. This is a common misconception. Embassies are still the territory of the host country. Legal immunities simply apply.

That being said, I would not say that I've been to the UK. I'm in a similar position as the OP. I've been to the British Virgin Islands, but not the actual UK.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yes. If you visit Tahiti you visit France. People are French and you get a French stamp on your passport. Doesn't matter if you don't view them as French.

If I visit Tahiti, I don't tell people I went to France, I tell people I went to Tahiti. Does that make sense? Tahiti is as much a part of France as Paris, but obviously it would create confusion if I simply tell people I went to France. If someone cared enough to clarify, I could say I went to Tahiti which is part of France.
No, Tahiti is not as a part of France as Paris. France has 5 overseas departments, all are identical to French department, as they use the euro and are member of the European Union. French Polynesia is not even part of the European union and uses a different currency.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,086,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Just jumping in to share this antidote. I recently returned from Puerto Rico and had a doctor's appointment where I was asked if I was out of the country within the past 30 days. At first I said no, and then I said, well, I went to Puerto Rico, does that count? Apparently it did!

All this business about counting probably matters on the context. Territories are and are not a part of their "mother" countries all at the same time.
That was probably because of Chik V and Zika concerns

Old 04-23-2017, 11:02 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,967,402 times
No. Some Territories are thousands of miles away from their host country.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,967,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yes. If you visit a territory you visit the county. Doesn't matter what cultural or language differences there are. A territory with a French flag is part of France. British Overseas Territories are part of the U.K. Hong Kong and Macau are China. Guam, USVI, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico are the US. Etc etc etc. French Guyana is as much a part of France as Paris.

Now if I visit the British Virgin Islands. I don't tell people I just returned from the U.K. even though I did, why, because it creates confusion and misunderstanding. Doesn't make it not true.
The British Virgin Islands are not part of the United Kingdom.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 12 days ago)

34,440 posts, read 16,527,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
The British Virgin Islands are not part of the United Kingdom.
My passport from my 1991 honeymoon says otherwise. A funny story.

My wife and I took a day trip from what was then the Hyatt to BVI. Being a honeymoon we obviously went the same day. When we next traveled I noticed that her passport said "May 14, 1991" and mine said "May 15, 1991". I said "honey we have something to talk about." I was kidding but I forget which of the two days we went, since our honeymoon ran from May 10, 1991 to May 19, 1991. Either day was possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel