Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,697,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Stansted isn't a small airport. It carried 23 million passengers last year.
Not small, but Heathrow had around 70 million passengers and Gatwick had 40 million.

Stansted does have a small feel to it though, just the layout and feeling after herding through Heathrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,565,161 times
LHR definitely. I say this because of tube access to central London. The immigration lines can be long but hey have a well oiled machine for getting folks through it. I have done gatwoch before but won't do it again unless it's a lot cheaper or it's a connector and that's where it routed me through.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,857,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
LHR definitely. I say this because of tube access to central London. The immigration lines can be long but hey have a well oiled machine for getting folks through it. I have done gatwoch before but won't do it again unless it's a lot cheaper or it's a connector and that's where it routed me through.
The tube is the cheaper way of getting into central London from Heathrow but it is slow and it can be a pain if you have luggage because it does get crowded. My preference is the Heathrow Express (train) which is expensive but pretty fast.

Location of central London hotel also makes a difference. If you are in west London (Kensington, Earls Court, Hammersmith, etc.) then the tube is a better option. If your hotel is close to Victoria or London Bridge stations then flying into Gatwick and taking the train from there can be a better option.

Personally, I don't have a preference when it comes to Heathrow or Gatwick. It all depends which one has the better flights (which is usually Heathrow). Both have good rail connections into central London and I am more interested in speed and ease of access than I am in the cost.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,968,676 times
Don't get the Thameslink service whatever you do!

Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 AM

799 posts, read 529,706 times
I'm looking at Icelandic Air, they have two flights both leaving here the same time, and landing in London at the same time, and they cost exactly the same. The only difference is the airport. I'll be staying near The Regent's Park. I'm just trying to choose the airport. Advice?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,249,059 times
Hi Margaret, either London airport is just as bad as the other one. Choose the one with the better transportation into town, I'd say. But I have another question: why are you traveling on Icelandic, if you don't mind my asking. There is a nonstop on Westjet, cheaper too, and I've flown that route with them - it's fine. Icelandic has to go into Seattle and stop there, then on to Reykjivic (or however you spell it)and stop there, and then on to London. Two stops. I've done that, too, twice at least, and I would choose the nonstop if it were me - or maybe you are traveling with colleagues?

The airport in Iceland has plans to renovate, and they really need it. There is not enough room for everyone to sit down out in the open area where the food is, so it is like musical chairs - if you see a spot you grab it to sit down. We are heading out that way this summer again - stupid us - with the new WOW airline, which will also go through Reykjivic, adding to their overcrowding troubles.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 AM

799 posts, read 529,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
why are you traveling on Icelandic, if you don't mind my asking. There is a nonstop on Westjet, cheaper too
I didn't see a flight to London, England on Westjet, only to London, Ontario.

The flight via Icelandic is $343 round trip, with only an hour and a half at Rekjevik (sp?). The next cheapest flight was over $800.

I was looking at Westjet.com. Is that the wrong URL?

Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,249,059 times
Hi - Westjet just may not fly on the date you wanted. I chose a random date of June 8 and got Vancouver to Gatwick round trip for $570 US dollars (I looked on Expedia). Not as cheap as your Icelandic flight but make sure you check about luggage costs, seat choice purchases, etc. Airlines are getting pretty sneaky these days. We have had to upgrade to be able to choose seats, check baggage, and get a meal on the most recent flight we took (Norwegian). Pretty soon it will be that they are charging to use the toilets!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:16 PM

7,471 posts, read 13,480,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I'm looking at Icelandic Air, they have two flights both leaving here the same time, and landing in London at the same time, and they cost exactly the same. The only difference is the airport. I'll be staying near The Regent's Park. I'm just trying to choose the airport. Advice?
Heathrow is closer and faster to the Steiner House area.

Assuming you are on the flight that arrives 1145 A, here is an example of connections:

From Heathrow:: 33 min travel, 21 miles, 1 transfer
https://goo.gl/maps/Qo1aw4sEqT62

(and still suggest a taxi from Paddington direct to Steiner to avoid walk from Baker St tube station.)

From Gatwick: 1 hour travel, 40 miles, possibly 2 transfers
https://goo.gl/maps/zTFeFffivny

BTW, $343 RT from Vancouver, really ? Paid $900 from Boston on Virgin Atlantic last Sept after reservations in April . Plus more $$ for extra leg room. Was non-stop, and yes, the inbound vs outbound fares were different.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,687,451 times
Most UK airports have sizeable departure taxes, making that part of the round trip significantly more expensive than the inbound flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel