Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to Rome tomorrow. This may seem like a bit of an odd question but what are the breakfast eatery options? Talking to one friend who's been, we're told that the locals don't really "do" breakfast - beyond anything more than just a croissant and cappuccino or coffee. While that's fine, I have to think there are some additional options (and not really referring to a typical American style breakfast). Plus I want to avoid eating at the hotel as much as possible. We'll be staying near the vatican. Any thoughts on t his? Or should we just wait for Lunch and dinner

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Well, you can have two croissants and a small cup of muddy coffee. There is no reason to go hungry. Or, perhaps hit a grocery store for something to eat in the morning, like fresh fruit.

If you are staying in a hotel that caters to out-of-the-area tourists, they might possibly do some sort of breakfast.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Euro hotels will usually offer a micro slice of dried hamen, and crunchy melba toast for breakfast.

We usually go to the fresh market for fruit and fresh fruit juice. If in a metro city, we use a grocer, bakery/meat shop. Good to do that for a light lunch too.

In Italy, I just do ice cream 3-5x / day

Last yr we traveled international for 12 months, used 8 hotels, never ate in a hotel. Used 8 Airbnb's (they were pretty terrible), 100's of "free to $20 / day" guest hospitality homes. They were great, as was the food and frequently packed lunches and abundant daily fruits and veggies. The friendships and GREAT ideas / free passes / free rides / free guides / translation services / opportunities to learn from others... were priceless. Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-04-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:20 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Our hotel had croissants, pastries, 3 types of cereal, yogurt, fruit and also what looked like slices of ham, as well as cheese.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Cafe Vaticano (across from the museum entrance) had delicious cappuccino and pastries. Looked like there were sit down menu options as well.

Have a great trip!!!

**Private guided tours made all the difference in the world for the historical sites and that Vatican. WELL worth it. "Walks inside Rome" was a delightful company to work with.

*San Clemente, near the Colosseum, was a very cool church to tour. 3 layers, built on top of the one before it, dating back nearly 2000 years.

(Forgive me if you've already heard all of that! )

Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Oh yes!! I second the "ice cream 3x a day" rec! Absolutely! And we tried a new place every time--only repeated ONCE! Yum!

Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Rome offers many breakfast choices, don't worry. Just check around your area with tripadvisor and you will always find some places.
Hotel breakfast is sometimes quite good - depending on the hotel (local brands/independently owned) nothing comparable to the junk of an American "lousy stay inn". They often offer local pastries, cheese, sausages, ham, any kind of fruits or yoghurt, warm and cold dishes... But depends of course on what you book.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Our hotel had croissants, pastries, 3 types of cereal, yogurt, fruit and also what looked like slices of ham, as well as cheese.
Pretty typical of hotels in southern Europe, and often included in the price of the room. Not sure if it was included in the original poster's room.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Our kids were pretty disappointed with Euro Breakfasts, so.... they got to go to McD once or twice a week to "Carb-Up".

When traveling, I am not keen on 'burning daylight', so usually 'eat-on-the-run' (Or before sunrise, or after sunset) Since I am a farmer, I do the same at home. Thus Spain is GREAT... cafes don't even open till well after dark! We would sometimes take the kids out(9 PM) before 11pm bedtime and be the first and ONLY ones in the cafe.

Breakfast can be had on the street (Markets). Very fast and no 'downtime' waiting... I don't think the French are impressed with my style of eating...

Old 05-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Turns out the breakfast idea is really moot - we'd rather save our appetites for a nice lunch and dinner, and random gelattos throughout the day lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel