Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Here we go again. Server-bashing. Before that gets out of hand, realize that the WHOLE system has to change if we are going to quit tipping servers. I thought it was common knowledge by now that servers in many states only make $2.13 an hour. So they need tips to even make it to minimum wage. This is the fault of our system and the wealthy bureaucrats who make the wage law, allowing restaurants to get away with underpaying.

So do away with tipping and pay the servers a living wage. But nobody wants to do that, do they? I'd like to see some of you server-bashers walk a mile (or 3 or 4 in a large place) in their padded shoes. It's not an easy job, and no, not everyone can do it.
Most people have a problem with crappy servers who think they deserve a large tip just because they are paid a low hourly wage.
If your pay depends on delivering good service, you damn well need to deliver good service. In my case, if you do that you'll get a good tip. If not, you don't. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
Maybe I'm eating at the right places, or I'm too nice, but I can't recall the last "bad" server I've had, and I eat out a lot, for business and pleasure. In fact, I think most "bad" servers I've had have been the result of them having too many tables at once; not really their fault. Since everyone seems to be giving their standard practice, I do 20% before tax. The couple extra dollars between 15% and 20% on a normal bill, I just don't care.

If I get comped anything or I have a discount of some sort, I tip on the menu price, not the discount (I'm actually curious to see who doesn't do this - I'm sure a lively discussion would ensue. Obviously the person that tips $2 per head would find this norm ridiculous).

Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Maybe I'm eating at the right places, or I'm too nice, but I can't recall the last "bad" server I've had, and I eat out a lot, for business and pleasure. In fact, I think most "bad" servers I've had have been the result of them having too many tables at once; not really their fault. Since everyone seems to be giving their standard practice, I do 20% before tax. The couple extra dollars between 15% and 20% on a normal bill, I just don't care.

If I get comped anything or I have a discount of some sort, I tip on the menu price, not the discount (I'm actually curious to see who doesn't do this - I'm sure a lively discussion would ensue. Obviously the person that tips $2 per head would find this norm ridiculous).

It's actually pretty common. I worked at a sinking ship of a restaurant once that had to resort to a Groupon offer. The majority of the customers tipped on the Groupon price, not the actual price. Ditto anywhere I ever worked that participated in Restaurant Week. There's a reason it's universally loathed by servers--for two weeks a year, you make way less money for way more work without any of the fun of seeing regular guests.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
The problem is when the tip becomes an entitlement rather than a discretionary payment for service and quality. The tendency now is for service to be rewarded at the same level, 15% - 20%, irrespective of whether the service is outstanding, average or poor. As a result, a bad server may not necessarily feel the consequences.

For the record, I have eaten out in many countries, some where tipping is customary and some where it is not, and I have never really noticed a significant difference in service between the tipping countries and the non-tipping ones. One nice thing about eating out in Europe or in Australia (for example) is that what you see is what you pay. Tax and service are included. Unlike in the USA where the $100 price tag is actually $128 after tax and tip.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's actually pretty common. I worked at a sinking ship of a restaurant once that had to resort to a Groupon offer. The majority of the customers tipped on the Groupon price, not the actual price. Ditto anywhere I ever worked that participated in Restaurant Week. There's a reason it's universally loathed by servers--for two weeks a year, you make way less money for way more work without any of the fun of seeing regular guests.
Interesting. I haven't used Groupon in a while, but I seem to remember it stating somewhere on the document that customers should tip on the full amount. And, the bill shows the pre-discount price, so the math isn't difficult. I wonder what the split is of people not knowing and not caring.

Restaurant Week is tougher. I don't think the customer knows the sticker price of what they're eating.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I've worked as a server and was always happy to receive a tip. I wasn't one who got upset or made faces because the customer didn't leave a million dollars. In my state, servers do NOT make $2.13 an hour.

For the folks that say haven't you had a raise? Yes, but look at the prices on a menu. Where I live, they have been dramatically increasing the prices every year because our minimum wage has been increasing yearly. Not to mention food costs, insurance, etc have also increased.

Say a meal cost $10 in 2007. Today that same meal is now $14. Back in 2007 a 15% tip would have been $1.50. Today the tip would be $2.10. So YES servers are getting raises through higher tips because of higher menu prices. And if servers want higher wages, learn a really good skill and be great at it. Being a server for most people is not a career. Yes there are exceptions, but it's rare.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Interesting. I haven't used Groupon in a while, but I seem to remember it stating somewhere on the document that customers should tip on the full amount. And, the bill shows the pre-discount price, so the math isn't difficult. I wonder what the split is of people not knowing and not caring.

Restaurant Week is tougher. I don't think the customer knows the sticker price of what they're eating.

I don't disagree. Restaurant Week customers are, for the most part, getting a lesser meal than the restaurant normally provides so going by the regular menu isn't really accurate or fair to a customer to expect to tip as such. RW is designed for restaurants, not for customers (contrary to popular perception!). It's to get covers during typically slow times (dead of winter, dead of summer), not create new customers with a lower price--those customers typically do not return for the regular menu--this is especially true of the most expensive restaurants, there's a reason they book up the fastest for RW.

From a server's standpoint it sucks, though--it's essentially a downgrade in pay for more work. You can argue that any tip is better than no tip (a server only makes money when there are customers, after all) but it sure doesn't feel that way in the thick of it!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Most people have a problem with crappy servers who think they deserve a large tip just because they are paid a low hourly wage.
If your pay depends on delivering good service, you damn well need to deliver good service. In my case, if you do that you'll get a good tip. If not, you don't. Simple as that.
This is how it should be. These days tipping has become a entitlement. I have no problem tipping. I'm just not going to reward someone for crappy service.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This is how it should be. These days tipping has become a entitlement. I have no problem tipping. I'm just not going to reward someone for crappy service.
The issue is servers shouldn't take on customers who tip little.

Tips are not an entitlement. If they want guaranteed better income, negotiate with the employer. A server, under no circumstances, has the right to punish a customer.

Additionally, when you sometimes run into customers who tip 30% or even 40%, you shouldn't complain about those who tip 10% or 5%. Eventually they even out. The problem with many is that, when they receive very generous tips, they think they deserve it, and when it is low, they think they are treated unfairly. I call this BS.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
20% was a perfect tip and it isn't your problem if the server doesn't like cc tips. I was a server and I would not expect customers to know if there was some type of issue with that. I'd get a different place to work that didn't have that issue.

There are problems with cash tips too in some places. They can be stolen. Customers cannot be psychic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel