Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:53 PM

569 posts, read 440,247 times

Advertisements

I traveled to Australia about 15 years ago and stayed in many hotels and cities. The continental breakfasts there were the best I'd ever seen and often included cold cuts, cheeses, and other items as well as more traditional breakfast items. I stayed more recently at a hotel in Miami and got a similar breakfast. Breakfasts like that make it easy to have a light lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
When I went to Philadelphia, we stayed at a newer Best Western that had a really nice continental breakfast. Similar to what you were describing, OP. I always try to use the waffle maker when I'm there.

We also stayed at an Ibis in Munich which provided a pretty decent spread.

I always love the idea and I love breakfast---I'm just not a breakfast person. Meaning, I don't really eat at that time and don't love eating at that time. I just need the coffee. And wish I could have the breakfast for dinner.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:03 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
When I went to Philadelphia, we stayed at a newer Best Western that had a really nice continental breakfast. Similar to what you were describing, OP. I always try to use the waffle maker when I'm there.

We also stayed at an Ibis in Munich which provided a pretty decent spread.

I always love the idea and I love breakfast---I'm just not a breakfast person. Meaning, I don't really eat at that time and don't love eating at that time. I just need the coffee. And wish I could have the breakfast for dinner.
The last place I stayed (a La Quinta in San Diego) had mini waffles. So instead of making one big waffle it made 4 small ones. I liked that better than the traditional waffle maker.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This was a surprise to me. Every place I've ever stayed, the continental breakfast was a box of donuts and an urn of coffee.

Is this the new norm? This week, we stayed at a motel where the "free" continental breakfast, was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, hot waffles, 3 kinds of cereal plus hot oatmeal, 8 flavors of yogurt, good orange juice, fixin's to make sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, donuts, sweet rolls, English muffins, bagels, blueberry muffins, hard cooked eggs, fresh fruit, ... and I'm sure I have forgotten several things.

It was all self serve and was out, hot, ready to eat at 5 AM. Or maybe earlier. I was there at 5 AM and people were already eating.

What are you all finding in the included breakfast?
"Continental breakfast" is reference to what people in mainland, or Continental, Europe typically eat in the morning, which is typically something basic such as breads, butters, jams, cold cuts, and stuff like that. Of course it will vary by country, but the idea of eating a tall stack of pancakes with a side of eggs and potatoes is not really what they do.

But yes, in the U.S. it has been this way for as long as I can remember (a few decades, at least).

Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
The week before Memorial weekend, We stayed at several (no brand) motels along the O coast. All about 3* quality but they were clean and the management/owners cared for your business and hopefully a repeat business. And the continental B was welcomed. The coffee was a much better brew than what was available in the room.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This was a surprise to me. Every place I've ever stayed, the continental breakfast was a box of donuts and an urn of coffee.

Is this the new norm? This week, we stayed at a motel where the "free" continental breakfast, was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, hot waffles, 3 kinds of cereal plus hot oatmeal, 8 flavors of yogurt, good orange juice, fixin's to make sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, donuts, sweet rolls, English muffins, bagels, blueberry muffins, hard cooked eggs, fresh fruit, ... and I'm sure I have forgotten several things.
Maybe you just stayed at a better quality hotel?

I haven't noticed any change at all in the breakfasts offered by hotels. The budget chains typically offer cold pre-made snacks, juices, and coffee and always have. Most budget hotels do not even have a kitchen. The higher end hotels with restaurants onsite typically offer full breakfasts, whether paid or included. I can't think of a single hotel anywhere that has changed it's breakfast from cold rolls and cereal to hot scrambled eggs and sausage.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I see the full breakfast fairly often in the northeast hotels even at the $100/night mark. It's actually bad for a hotel to have less now that it's expected. "Cheap owners" would come to mind.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:23 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
The free breakfast is a bonus, especially when with the kids.

Most of the Marriotts branded an inn ,offers it, some just bagels and hard boiled eggs, but the others do regional as well.

It has been a trend for many years, and benefits those that get up for it. I have to bring some to the room for the wife.

Those items are pretty cheap to set up, with minimal staff needed. Semi all inclusive is what I Call it!

It is hard deciding to book the inns though. For example, we visited Va beach , and decided to drive to the beach, because the cheaper room, with breakfbecause. It kinda sucked not getting something at the beach, but saved so much on costs, it was worth it!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I honestly can't remember the last time we traveled domestically and stayed somewhere that didn't offer a hot breakfast. On our most recent trip to the west coast, we stayed just outside SF, and the hotel had a full American buffet, as well as a Japanese breakfast option. And at night, the buffet was set up for dinner, with hot and cold foods, and..an open bar happy hour! The room was under $150/night.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:57 PM

65 posts, read 38,272 times
I know the Choice Hotels and some others have the full gamut for a continental breakfast including making your own waffles, which are really good. We usually try to stay in hotels that offer free breakfast since it saves time and money. We usually take a piece of fruit and/or a Granola bar for the backpack to enjoy later or while we're hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel