Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Economy all the way and just suffer through it.

If the business class cost $100 more, I'd pay it, but it is not $100 more. There is a very substantial cost difference.

Everything about flying is miserable, starting with the parking lot, the long lines, the over-crowded terminals with bumping and shoving. The long distances to walk between gates. Babies screaming becasue the air pressure hurts their ears. The high priced and poor quality food. I paid $8 for a bottle of water at Chicago airport in the international airport; serious price gouging.

The line to get onto the plane, the long wait to get off of the plane, all of it is miserable. Some more leg room on the plane would make at least part of the journey more bearable, but I refuse to cough up the extra cash.
Yep, that's us exactly. Gets worse every year, and we travel LOTS. But like you, I'm not sure paying all that extra for a few hours luxury is a good return for money. So we put up with it until something better comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 02:31 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
We're trying out Business class for the first time in September. The flight is just long enough (9 hours+) so we'll see how we like it. I had one of the worse experiences flying ANA to Tokyo. It had nothing to do with the crew or the flight itself, but sitting in economy for 13 hours was brutal and I vowed to my wife if we ever went back we're doing business roundtrip even if it costs an arm and a leg. I could probably do Economy if it were less than 8 hours one way. That's a couple of movies, and two meals. No big deal.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
I will fly coach on non-stops of 2 hours (or less) duration. Other than that, we now fly business or first class. I flew only economy until age 50, then decided I was worth the upgrade.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
On expense report, for me, Asia trips are "Business class or I'm not going. You can fire me if you want."

I fly international out of Boston. I can get to London-Heathrow on a morning flight so I don't have to sleep in an airplane. I'm in Europe a lot. I only take that one BA flight and I'm bummed that American killed theirs at the Great Recession. As long as I'm in an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around, BOS-LHR as a day flight isn't any longer than BOS-LAX. I just check in to an airport hotel, walk over for Indian food, and force myself to go to sleep.

If I ever go to Asia on my own dime, I'll at least spend for premium economy which is similar to a domestic first class seat. A JAL Dreamliner/787 premium economy seat is 42" seat pitch and 19.2" seat width with power at the seat. A 13 1/2 hour flight in that seat won't kill me. There's no way I'm doing a flight like that in an economy seat.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
When my lovely bride was living, we would fly first class unless it was a really short flight (<4 hours). She had some health issues that made it worth the $$. Now that I'm alone, I don't care so much.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times
I fly economy and will sacrifice my time /sleep to take a cheaper flight if available. For example, if I can save a few hundred dollars by taking a very early flight, I'll do it. Not to save ten bucks, but to save 300

I flew first class once, from LA to NY. It's nice. My then husband had all kinds of miles and deals.

I flew upgraded economy a few times on 6-8 hour international flights. If available, it's worth it - you get a little more room and a little more privacy.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
My husband and I both do quite a bit of business travel. We both always fly business class and first class for vacations. We have a lot frequent flyer miles which comes in handy for pleasure travel.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I'm too cheap to splurge on anything except economy/coach. Six hours later it's all over. The only difference is the size of the hole in my wallet.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
I'll often spring for first/business class if the leg of the flight is more than about six-seven hours. Most of my flying is solo and I really dislike sleeping sardined up with a stranger, so it's worth it to me to pay for some extra personal space if we'll be in the air long enough that I'll want to get a good nap in, to arrive raring to go. I'm also tall and broad across the shoulders - back in the day economy seats were all right, but since they've started shaving off an inch of space here, an inch of space there, and packing in more passengers, it's just gotten too cramped.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...idth/16105491/

When I travel for work they pay for tickets, but allow us to apply the miles to our own accounts, which adds up. And since I live in Alaska and everything is far away, I accumulate miles pretty quickly. So usually I have plenty of miles that I can use to defray the cost of upgrading.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
When I was younger, I would tough it out in economy (I'm 6'6" (1.98M)) but now that I'm older and wealthier, I pay for the upgrade if it's more than a few hours in the air. I normally fly Kuwait to Dubai to Seattle and I buy economy for about $1500 and then upgrade to Business Class for an additional $2500....it changes the trip from pain to almost enjoyable.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel