Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

It makes a lot of sense to stick to your natural sleep/wake cycle while you're on vacation. The key, though, is not to be dependent on others to enjoy the time you have. If you're the only person up at 7:00, go ahead and do something by yourself, perhaps something they're not interested in. Wait around for everyone to be ready and you could find yourself wondering where your vacation went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I'm not a sleep all day while on vacation kind of person, but I'm also not an "up and at 'em, attack the day" kind of person either. One of the best things about being on vacation is not having to get up as soon as the alarm clock goes off and rushing around to get to work on time. So I usually have a pretty leisurely approach to getting up, getting my day started, getting ready, etc. I usually wake up around 6:30 or 7 without the alarm clock, but I may not leave the room until 9:00 or a little later. I'm in no hurry.

My vacations are for rest, relaxation, and recovery. Not attacking everything I can possibly accomplish. ;-)

Old 06-16-2017, 08:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I like to be up early and ready to go out and do things.
I always get up early on vacation. But that's because I'm a photographer and like to get out and take pictures of the sunrise and the sun filtering down through the trees.

My husband is usually the early riser any other day of the week while I like to sleep in. We're backwards on vacation.

As for guests, we go do our own thing and if they want to join us, they better get their butts up or we leave them. Period.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I love the early morning in Las Vegas. Talk about a completely different place! I love walking under the canopy on Fremont Street early in the day when there are very few people out and about.
Same here! It's so quiet.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I used to be in the "sleep until at least 9 a.m. camp" but as I've gotten older I can't sleep past 7 a.m. I also take about 45 minutes from the time I wake up till I'm out the door unless I am eating breakfast. If I'm going somewhere that doesn't require make-up I can be out the door in 30 minutes.

My sister is one of those people that takes a minimum of 2 hours to get ready between her long, curly hair and her extensive make-up routine. It drives me crazy when we have to be somewhere. She has actually turned down a wedding invitation because it started at 11 a.m. and there's no way she could have her coffee, feed her dog and bird, relax on the patio with her cigarette and then start the long, involved primping process. Seriously, get over yourself.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My sister is one of those people that takes a minimum of 2 hours to get ready between her long, curly hair and her extensive make-up routine. It drives me crazy when we have to be somewhere. She has actually turned down a wedding invitation because it started at 11 a.m. and there's no way she could have her coffee, feed her dog and bird, relax on the patio with her cigarette and then start the long, involved primping process. Seriously, get over yourself.
Ugh! Definitely would never vacation with her.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:11 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
I avoid going on vacations with other people. They cant get up in the morning, so much fuss about places to eat and then they spend an awful lot of time on phone, photographs. Some people have such poor direction sense that they cant even cross the street and reach destination even after seeing it in front of them, they need GPS. Some people are very fussy about usage of Public Transportation.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I'm a morning person on vacation and I don't think it's uncommon. I get up by 5:30 am everyday, so on my off days or vacation my body automatically wakes me up. It might not be as early as 5:30am, but probably not past 7. I wouldn't want to waste my day anyway so getting up early doesn't bother me one bit. I don't go to be any earlier either. I'm just fine on 6 hours of sleep!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
I think it'd depend on where I was and what I was doing..

I'm going to DC this summer.. I'm planning on getting up and moving by about 8am and heading into DC by 10am, because many things there are on a schedule.. Museums are open from 10am to 7pm and the like. Plus, I don't really want to be riding the metro during rush hour.

Now.. If I were going to Memphis and going to be out late at night on Beale street or something like that.. I probably would sleep in alot more.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I travel with my best friend who is an early riser and I like to sleep in.
We both adjust slightly and when she gets up she does her own thing a
few hours until I get up. It works.

I have another friend that likes to get sunrise pictures. She just goes and
does her thing while I sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel