Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
When I travel, I leave the tip with a note under something that the maid has to move (like a glass or the tv remote) so that they will see it. I am careful about the state of the room -garbage in the basket or bagged near the garbage container, towels left where they are supposed to be left (some hotels ask you to leave dirty towels on the floor) and everything is reasonably tidy.

Do most maids expect tips every day or once at the end of a guest's stay?
This has been addressed in this thread. Since you missed it---leave a tip for the maid every day. The maid who cleans the room on your last day at the hotel may not be the maid who had been cleaning it all week.

As far as the towels go --- Most hotels do it this way --- if you leave your towels on the racks, the maid will assume that you want to reuse them. If you don't want to reuse the towels, leave them on the floor in a neat pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
A couple of years ago my son vomited all over the hotel bed and floor. We were on our way someone, so I didn't have time to clean it myself. I tipped the maid $100, asked her to clean everything and apologized profusely. When we got back that afternoon, you couldn't even smell it.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
A couple of years ago my son vomited all over the hotel bed and floor. We were on our way someone, so I didn't have time to clean it myself. I tipped the maid $100, asked her to clean everything and apologized profusely. When we got back that afternoon, you couldn't even smell it.
That was very considerate of you! I'm sure that the maid really appreciated it

Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
The average daily wage for a hotel maid in Mexico is about $90. (Pesos) Currently there are about seventeen Pesos to a dollar.

If you have ever watched how long and hard these women work you would realize they are worth many times this amount.

I always try to keep an eye out for the maid and hand the money directly to her when she is in the area so I can be sure it goes into her pocket. Too many times in the business world there I have watched women do the work and then hand the cash over to someone sitting in a chair having a couple of cervezas.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Do you use that same rationalization to stiff hotel bellmen and valet attendants?
I tip the bellmen that lug my luggage to room when I don't lug it up myself

Old 06-26-2017, 04:18 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
And then you wonder why you get sinks cleaned with toilet water.
That is total BS. The movie I took was on my 1st M at the hotel while I was down for breakfast

Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I traveled for 30 years. At least 4 nights a week in a hote. All high end properties.

Our vacations were also at high end hotels and resorts.

I only tipped when someone went out of their way for me. Did something special, etc.

TIPS To Insure Proper Service
<sigh> Yet another person who can (supposedly) afford high-end hotels but decides it's fine NOT to tip people who are living on probably, what, 20% to 30% of what he makes?

(There was a whole thread on tipping at restaurants, and I suspect this poster was one of those who said they didn't tip there either. Oh wait, I just checked, he tipped $40 on a $300 bill after being at a restaurant for hours, and he thought he was being generous ... back-tracked later and said, oh, I meant 40% ... yeah, OK.)

I will never understand people who are this cheap to workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Do you do the same in restaurants?

I've been told the rule of thumb is a $2 per day per person. That's not enough to break anyone's budget.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How many other hard-working people did you stiff on your oh-so-high-end vacations?
Again, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't think it is being a "cheapskate" by not tipping hotel staff. It is he hotel management that get's away with hiring people for low salaries. It is also against federal laws to hire undocumented workers (which many hotel management groups are notorious for doing)
But again, you KNOW that some of these incredibly hard-working people depend on tips to help make ends meet. And you SAY you stay in high-end hotels and resorts, which presumably means you are doing fine financially. Yet you STILL decide that you it is not your place to give these people a measly tip from you, which relatively speaking, would cost you just about nothing.

SMH. I just don't get this mentality. It seems so petty and just, well, sad to me.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Its not sad. Its capitalism at its finest.

You agree to a wage. Tips are Optional.

I worked Front desk at a Golf Resort. Never once accepted a tip for transporting luggage or cleaning rooms. Getting money Under the table (so to speak) is basically what is happening for maids , bell hops and those nice men who park your car. If you wish to hand them your funds, have at it.

I've seen some Nasty habits of guests yet it was not their "obligation" to pay an additional fee for my job duties.

Its like compliments, while nice to receive, you are not obligated .

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,229 times
My "tip" is leaving the room in good condition and making it obvious which beds and towels were used.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:13 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
I tip daily since I don't assume the same cleaning person comes in daily. I leave between $3 and $5 dollars a day. I guess I just assumed most folks do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel