Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
At this rate, we should also be tipping FF, MW, and retail employees.

Seriously, we could consider it!
The tip jars are already here at the self-serve frozen yogurt places. No, I'm not tipping there, barbarian that I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM

190 posts, read 167,520 times
Buncha cheap a** people here. If you can afford to stay at a motel or hotel , tip the cleaning staff every day. We tip $5 daily when we are there. Service is considerably better when we do!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 AM

175 posts, read 201,725 times
When my husband, daughter and myself stay at hotels, we tip 5 a day. However we also keep the room neat. The cleaning staff does not get paid much.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM

564 posts, read 448,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
how is this different than bribery?
You are assuming all bribes are criminal? If an employer offers a bonus for extra duties, isn't that a form of bribery? Look, if you're too cheap to tip, man up. Don't try to excuse yourself..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 AM

160 posts, read 205,944 times
We tip $5/day and once we tipped $10/day for a 2-day stay just because we were back from the beach and there was considerable amount of sand around even after us trying to clean up our shoes/towels etc. Regardless of the service, IMO no harm in tipping $5/day.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
For a stay of three nights or less, we don't need a maid. The towels will last that long, as will the soaps. Glasses can be rinsed. We can get coffee refills from the front desk if we want it. We leave the Do Not Disturb sign out 24/7. We ask nothing of the maid but to be left alone, which I'm sure doesn't break her heart; frankly, we don't want underpaid people we don't know messing with our stuff any more than we can help.

The last time I yielded and took the card off the door, in a San Francisco hotel that charged one kidney per night, the maid didn't pay attention and sent my hip pillow to their laundry service with our bedding. The pillow was in the covers, yes, but in a different color pillowcase. She just missed it. I called the front desk and they did launch a search to get it back to me (I half assumed it was gone forever). When they found it, the maid supervisor called to let me know, and chided me for leaving it in the bedding. It was all my fault. I was too stunned to react as that logic deserved; plus, I was more concerned about getting it back. Now I'm even less interested in having daily maid service.

We don't trash the place. I'd say we leave it cleaner than any couple with kids. We do nothing gratuitous to make the maid's life harder when we leave.

It naturally follows that we don't tip. We either ask nothing of them, or we ask far less than the usual workload. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
We ask nothing of the maid but to be left alone; frankly, we don't want underpaid people we don't know messing with our stuff any more than we can help.
To assume that people working for wages far less than yours are thieves is unfair. Stealing is a character flaw. It isn't determined by income bracket. In my experience, most housekeeping staff are hardworking individuals, who don't want to risk their jobs.

Tipping aside, I've rarely had service to complain about, but I greet them with a smile, use their names & treat them with respect, as I would anyone else, which makes a difference.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
To assume that people working for wages far less than yours are thieves is unfair. Stealing is a character flaw. It isn't determined by income bracket. In my experience, most housekeeping staff are hardworking individuals, who don't want to risk their jobs.

Tipping aside, I've rarely had service to complain about, but I greet them with a smile, use their names & treat them with respect, as I would anyone else, which makes a difference.
If there's a trend emerging from this thread, it's that classism and classlessness to go hand-in-hand.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If there's a trend emerging from this thread, it's that classism and classlessness to go hand-in-hand.
Indeed. Prospective is skewed & too many assumptions are made. Be afraid of the Bernie Madoffs of the world, who can destroy entire families' lives, not someone who might peek at which color tees you brought along for vacation.

And, if one is worried because a belonging is that valuable, leave it at home. Tip a few bucks for good service, at the very least. The same folks who don't, probably readily leave a handful of change in a tip jar when buying a coffee.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
Buncha cheap a** people here. If you can afford to stay at a motel or hotel , tip the cleaning staff every day. We tip $5 daily when we are there. Service is considerably better when we do!
When I was doing business travel for a non-profit, a maid making '$13-$16' an hour was earning more than I did and my employer would not reimburse hotel tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel