Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times

Advertisements

I once left $5 for the maid....Um...the bed needed changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
It's our job to exceed expectations.
It's a compliment that you chose to stay at the hotel. Tips are not required or necessary. Just be polite,civil,and leave the room in the same condition you entered it with. Now if you like to leave it with damages,your welcome to be surcharged.
Our hotel is hospitality oriented. We do our duty and have zero underlying expectation to get a tip. It's neither encouraged to accept a tip or think we even deserve it. Our company pays us. You are our guest.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Absolutely, especially if they have done a great job...
We always leave a few dollars apiece a day, but I think it is strange leaving a cleaner a tip when the next person to clean up your mess may not be the one who cleaned up before for you.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/3...r-tipping.html

Looks like overtip but that’s fine. We get good service and it makes me happy to help out people in an overlooked job. Staying in a very nice hotel in NOLA right now and they deserve the tip
Average reported wage for housekeepers is over $11?? And those two women on the cover make over $15 an hour (or a "living wage")? Makes me think that I no longer need to tip. Indeed, I've always tipped because I was told how little housekeepers got paid (many made it seem they were paid less than $8 an hour)!

Note, while I don't seriously think that I'll stop tipping, I think I may institute a max tip, regardless of how long I stay at a hotel. Generally, I hang the "do not disturb" sign up, so the housekeepers only prep my room for arrival and upon my departure. I'll generally leave a few dollars for this, but have left as much as $10 for a few days. I also leave the same tip regardless of whether I'm staying at a motel or upscale hotel, though it seems to me that housekeepers in upscale hotels are getting paid more than those at motels, which may lead me to adjust my tipping scales.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
We always leave a few dollars apiece a day, but I think it is strange leaving a cleaner a tip when the next person to clean up your mess may not be the one who cleaned up before for you.
I think its strange, too, but if enough people tipped, it would all even out just about.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I leave $1/day for the maid.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:31 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Never. I hang the Do Not Disturb on the door from the second I check in and leave it there until I check out.

I don't want them in the room period, so.. To my eyes.. That's their tip. however many days I'm there they don't have to do anything.
This describes me as well. It feels wasteful to change the sheets, change the towels, wipe down, vacuum, etc., EVERY, single day! Sometimes, there's no toilet paper left. I just go to the front desk to ask for more.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:39 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's our job to exceed expectations.
It's a compliment that you chose to stay at the hotel. Tips are not required or necessary. Just be polite,civil,and leave the room in the same condition you entered it with. Now if you like to leave it with damages,your welcome to be surcharged.
Our hotel is hospitality oriented. We do our duty and have zero underlying expectation to get a tip. It's neither encouraged to accept a tip or think we even deserve it. Our company pays us. You are our guest.
Great attitude.. And see, you're the type of person I'd consider tipping. But, I do have respect for the job you do.. You come into a room that i've been in.. Used towels will be together, normally on the bathmat at the edge of the tub.. Trash will be in the trash can. Remote will be back where it was when I checked in.. There won't be toothpaste gobs in the sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
This describes me as well. It feels wasteful to change the sheets, change the towels, wipe down, vacuum, etc., EVERY, single day! Sometimes, there's no toilet paper left. I just go to the front desk to ask for more.
I'll normally catch the housekeeping cart and grab a roll if I need it. But, yeah.. If it were 'after hours' when the cart wouldn't be around.. I'd just ask at the front desk.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 PM

638 posts, read 593,618 times
I dont tip maids. The most they ever get from me is my collection of left over coins left on the desk on the way out the door.

I think I spent about 100 nights last year in hotels. If I left the amounts some of you people are suggesting I'd be down about $300-$400.

There are a lot of minimum wage people around, it isn't my job to go around subsidising all of them. What next, tipping the gardener who's cutting the grass outside your hotel window? Tipping the lifeguard on the pool? Tipping the receptionist?

As an aside, I was in a large department store recently (I'm travelling in thailand at the moment) and one of the shops had tip jars by the checkout. Never seen anything like it before, so asked a woman there, seriously? and she said yes, because many more Um-rican coming now and they always tipping!

Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
I do not tip maids.

If I leave a tip on the first morning, is it for the one who already cleaned it? In that case, how would I know that the $ is pocketed by the one who prepared it? Is it for the one who will clean it when I'm out the door? In that case, I never tip beforehand. If I ever had to ask a cleaning person for anything extra, and she obliges, I would definitely tip her, but that hasn't happened yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel