U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 AM

22,759 posts, read 28,832,165 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people really honestly tip the motel maids as they are leaving their room. I guess there is no way to find out except to ask the maids and I really don't know any who would give me the true facts.

I left a nice note about how clean the room was and a $20 bill at our last stay which was about 13% of my bill, but I wasn't paying full rate and not tipping based on full rate. If the maid cursed me as a cheapskate I suspect she was still quick to tuck that $20 into her pocket.

I've talked to several people who do not leave a tip for the maid. I wonder what the percentage is of people who do.

I don't feel the least bit guilty about the amount of the tip. That was what I had in cash, so that is what the maid got. I am tidy and don't cause extra work. I travel with dogs, paid an extra $40 to have the dogs in my room, but I know that doesn't go to the maids. The dogs didn't make any mess or extra work for the maid. The dogs are clean and well behaved, not allowed on the furniture and stayed in their crate while in the room..

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM

3,421 posts, read 1,345,838 times
I'm guessing the people who don't tip the cleaning staff are either casual travelers or those content to stay at places like Super 8. Then again there's probably a significant overlap between the two. Frequent travelers and business travelers ought to know the drill by now.

I tip them not just on the day I leave but every day of my stay. That way the person who's doing the actual cleaning is the one who gets the tip. If you just leave a tip at the end of your stay, you never know if the person who collects it had any part in keeping your room clean during your stay. Also, I want myself, not the next guest, to be the primary beneficiary of whatever extra motivation a tip might bring to do a thorough job.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 AM

6,626 posts, read 3,693,281 times
I don't usually but I did on a recent road trip where I stayed at the same place going and coming. The "maid" was a young guy, maybe 16 or 17, doing the rooms by himself (a family owned place) who entertained himself by singing as he went from room to room. It was a little bit of a show just to see him bop along, seemingly as happy as he could be. He put a smile on the day from the start.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:52 AM

34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
I always leave a tip,usually somewhere between $10-$20, these people are making minimum wage at best, i dont mind doing my bit to enhance their lives on a financial level.
My life has been blessed with good fortune,i can spread it around a bit.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM

9,840 posts, read 5,048,536 times
I only tip on the last day of my stay, but I also keep the DND sign on the door. I don't need my room cleaned every day. If my stay is longer than a few days, I might take down the sign for one cleaning, and tip then.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,597,286 times
I usually tip each day since the cleaning staff may change & inadvertently the person coming on the day I leave may not have been the one cleaning my room the rest of the week.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM

1,744 posts, read 3,203,228 times
We always tip on the first day and usually on each day of our stay. Seems to up the quality of the service by tipping from the get-go. If for some reason we were only going to tip once for a multiple night stay it would most definitely be the first day, not the last.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

9,419 posts, read 6,290,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm guessing the people who don't tip the cleaning staff are either casual travelers or those content to stay at places like Super 8. Then again there's probably a significant overlap between the two. Frequent travelers and business travelers ought to know the drill by now.
I traveled for 30 years. At least 4 nights a week in a hote. All high end properties.

Our vacations were also at high end hotels and resorts.

I only tipped when someone went out of their way for me. Did something special, etc.

TIPS To Insure Proper Service

Old 06-24-2017, 11:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 519,413 times
10 year road warrior here, though in the 90s. I had this conversation with my team once & what was interesting is that we were split down the middle. All the west coast staff never tipped maids & more than a couple had never even heard of it, all the east coast staff tipped between $1-2 night. I've always done the $1-2/night, left every day.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 973,043 times
My sister works as a maid at a well-known hotel chain near an airport in Washington state. She earns $13.50 an hour after 11 years. And, when I say earned, she does, every cent. She occasionally gets tips but not many. She tells me some horror stories about the conditions the rooms are in after they are vacated. The worst are school sports teams. If it is too bad, she gets extra time and the occupants are contacted for restitution. She had always had minimum or slightly better jobs and will probably have to work until she is 70. Please help her and her fellow workers out by leaving a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel