Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,238,718 times

Advertisements

I could imagine all Americans in the country being held as hostages if some political crisis happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,602,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I think it's safe, as long as you don't do anything stupid and follow their laws. As crazy as their government is, I still don't think they will arbitrarily detain an American.
Sorry, I think you are living in a make believe world. I would never, under the present regime consider going anywhere near NO. Korea. In fact, with problems facing the world right now, I would think seriously about visiting very many places in Asia.
Let me ask you, for what reason would you want to even think about visiting NO. Korea, what about So. Korea? Even that may not be 100% safe, but it would be a better bet than the northern part of the country. Why would anyone want to give money to a country that so hates us? Why would anyone want to go to a country that makes Florida or Texas look like places with no humidity and who wants to be in a country, even for a few days that might not feel safe and certainly would not welcome you?

CBeishol: if you really think No Korea is perfectly safe, how about you going with the OP and have a great trip. Of course OP hasn't come back to answer any questions be asked of him?

Last edited by nmnita; 06-26-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, I think you are living in a make believe world. I would never, under the present regime consider going anywhere near NO. Korea. In fact, with problems facing the world right now, I would think seriously about visiting very many places in Asia.
Let me ask you, for what reason would you want to even think about visiting NO. Korea, what about So. Korea? Even that may not be 100% safe, but it would be a better bet than the northern part of the country. Why would anyone want to give money to a country that so hates us? Why would anyone want to go to a country that makes Florida or Texas look like places with no humidity and who wants to be in a country, even for a few days that might not feel safe and certainly would not welcome you?

CBeishol: if you really think No Korea is perfectly safe, how about you going with the OP and have a great trip. Of course OP hasn't come back to answer any questions be asked of him?
Maybe he really went on this trip and hasn't come back?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,466,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but

Chilbosan is a strange place to call ugly
Ditto the architecture

I think being in a place like North Korea, which is so different from the US, would be worth it just for that experience.
When you click those links you can plainly see that those 'interesting' pictures are repeated again and again and again, so maybe those places are very few...

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 AM

10,350 posts, read 7,965,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you want the retro totalitarian experience, stick with the former USSR -stans that have full diplomatic relations with the USA and in many cases are actively courting American business partnerships.

While there's no way I'd consider North Korea under current circumstances, I'm curious enough about places like Kazakhstan that I'd take a free trip there if offered.
And I'm actually considering a paid trip to the five 'stans at some point in the not-too-distant future, for just the reason you stated: they look absolutely fascinating, and they don't get a ton of tourists. But unlike North Korea, the US has full diplomatic relations with all of them. And to me at least, that makes all the difference.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
When you click those links you can plainly see that those 'interesting' pictures are repeated again and again and again, so maybe those places are very few...
Those places keep popping up over and over and over because those are the only places tourists are allowed to visit. No one visiting North Korea is allowed to wander around at will. (Too bad; maybe the OP would be impressed by some pictures of the brutal labor camps there.)

Old 06-26-2017, 01:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,724,438 times
This is a troll post. No one could be that stupid.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This is a troll post. No one could be that stupid.
Unfortunately there ARE people (especially naive young people) who ARE that stupid. But you're right that this is probably a troll post.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:28 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,922,916 times
Right. If you jaywalked there you'd probably be detained.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,571,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I think it's safe, as long as you don't do anything stupid and follow their laws. As crazy as their government is, I still don't think they will arbitrarily detain an American.
You don't have to do anything stupid. If they need an American hostage, they'll fabricate a charge against you. It's what rogue communist regimes do. You're thinking in Western terms. The NORKs don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel