U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM
 
94 posts, read 81,666 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Honeymoon in late August. Starting in Italy. Planning on staying in Greece for a few nights (5 or 6 days). Want a little beach time with the wife, relaxing, food, etc. Not into the nightlife or crowds anymore. I know August is the worst time to travel to Greece (as far as tourists and crowds) but heard that Naxos and Paros aren't as bad as other Islands (Santorini, Mykonos, etc). Is this true? And is the last week of August in these areas (Naxos, Paros) worth the trip. Also, any advice on other areas/islands in Greece would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Reputation: 2034
If you never been to Greek island, you need to check out Santorini, it is out of this world.

Karpathos is very nice but farther and off the beaten path. Hydra is also very cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Reputation: 18323
Naxos is wonderful! It's not as flooded with tourists as some of the other islands are because its harbor can't handle large cruise ships. But it's a big island with lots to see: a white-walled city with a classic Venetian castle, a ruined Greek temple you can walk right up to (no barriers and no admission fees), great beaches for swimming.

Tinos is also worth checking out, it has an important Greek Orthodox Church, and unique dovecots in the countryside. It doesn't get many non-Greek visitors compared to most of the other islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 3,559,991 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
Honeymoon in late August. Starting in Italy. Planning on staying in Greece for a few nights (5 or 6 days). Want a little beach time with the wife, relaxing, food, etc. Not into the nightlife or crowds anymore. I know August is the worst time to travel to Greece (as far as tourists and crowds) but heard that Naxos and Paros aren't as bad as other Islands (Santorini, Mykonos, etc). Is this true? And is the last week of August in these areas (Naxos, Paros) worth the trip. Also, any advice on other areas/islands in Greece would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Wife and I were in Santorini for about 4 days and it was awesome. Grace Santorini. My wife and I are trying to check out other islands for a trip back to Greece but if you're on your honeymoon, I can't see why you'd want to miss out on Santorini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 PM
 
94 posts, read 81,666 times
Reputation: 29
In regards to Santorini, we're just worried that it will be too crowded during peak season (last week of August) for us to enjoy. We don't want to be overwhelmed with people and lines, but by the sounds of Santorini it sounds like we shouldn't miss it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
Reputation: 12572
Just get ready for HEAT. Have a wonderful time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 02:38 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
In regards to Santorini, we're just worried that it will be too crowded during peak season (last week of August) for us to enjoy. We don't want to be overwhelmed with people and lines, but by the sounds of Santorini it sounds like we shouldn't miss it
You should book the hotel in Oia. The town is amazing and much more beautiful than Fira where it is very crowded due to the cruise ships. Most people only do day trip to Oia so the morning until 11:00 is serene not very crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2017, 02:50 PM
 
2,143 posts, read 3,559,991 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
In regards to Santorini, we're just worried that it will be too crowded during peak season (last week of August) for us to enjoy. We don't want to be overwhelmed with people and lines, but by the sounds of Santorini it sounds like we shouldn't miss it
Oia is really nice and far away from Fira (probably 15-20 minute ride in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 03:04 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,947 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Reputation: 11392
Zig when everyone else zags... instead go up to Corfu. Beautiful stuff without ending up in a mosh pit of tourists holding up cell phones trying to get a picture of sunset in Sanotorini. Take the ferry to Sarande as welll, way cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Reputation: 5694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
You should book the hotel in Oia. The town is amazing and much more beautiful than Fira where it is very crowded due to the cruise ships. Most people only do day trip to Oia so the morning until 11:00 is serene not very crowded.
We stayed in Imerovigli and went to Oia for the day. If you're adventurous, you can walk it. There's a path. It took about 1hr and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top