U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 03:28 PM

2,642 posts, read 4,820,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks so much, this is very valuable information. She plans to leave the day after tomorrow, so maybe that isn't even enough time for her to go through the approval process. I'm sure she isn't aware of all of that, I will let her know.
Maybe she can look at hostels. The Little Tokyo hotel(which is like a hostel) has some good reviews on Yelp and is in a central location with good public transit access. Most downtown hotels will be very expensive. Staying downtown is the best option for using public transit. If she wants to stay by the beach I suggest researching hostels in Santa Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 04:11 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
Quote:
I'm very unfamiliar with LA and probably naive, so is this because it's such a huge, sprawling metro area, or because the public transit is unsafe? I know that Uber would be a better option but she doesn't have an account and where she is living in Wyoming is really out in the sticks and internet service is not reliable at best, which is also why I'm posting this here instead of her. I'm sure taking a taxi everywhere would be $$$$, as would staying in most areas that are safe. I'm really hoping that she finds another option and does LA at a later time when she has more time to prepare and more money to spend.
The former because the majority of LA goers and even surrounding areas need to drive due to lack of Metro coverage. I'm told it's not as densely packed in like NYC, Boston, Newark, and Chicago.

For the latter, what little I rode on seemed safe enough.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Thanks for all the great advice. She actually just told me that she opted to go to San Diego instead due to the vastness of LA and lack of available accommodations this weekend (the hostel in Santa Monica is booked up, hotels too expensive).

LA sounds like the kind of place that requires more planning than she has time for. I really want to go back sometime and stay for at least a week, since we were just there overnight once.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Trip report for LA, as promised:

Trip report--Los Angeles, mostly without a car | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Trip report--Los Angeles food experiences | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

and San Diego:

Trip report--San Diego | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Proposed San Diego itinerary | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Trip report--San Diego food experiences | United States Forum | Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Old 06-29-2017, 06:48 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,353,605 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice. She actually just told me that she opted to go to San Diego instead due to the vastness of LA and lack of available accommodations this weekend (the hostel in Santa Monica is booked up, hotels too expensive).

LA sounds like the kind of place that requires more planning than she has time for. I really want to go back sometime and stay for at least a week, since we were just there overnight once.

I'm happy to hear this. San Diego is one of the best cities in the country, as far as I'm concerned.

My son and I went there when he was 13. I challenged him by asking him to come up with our itinerary one day. He did a great job! We went on a bay cruise, walked around the Gas Lamp district and had lunch near the water.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I agree, I would rather go to SF, especially due to the public transit options.

The best way to enjoy a trip to LA is to focus on a specific area, so you don't have to sit in traffic too much. My son is going there today and coincidentally staying in an AirBNB. He plans to stay in the downtown area only for the Anime Expo. He won't have a car and will only stay in that one area.

If she is going for the first time, I would stay near the beach. My favorite area is Orange County, specifically Newport or Huntington Beach.
That's 50 miles from the airport!

Quote:
The Santa Monica Pier area is fun too.
Much better...south Santa Monica is close to the airport and very nice.

If I were her, I would stay with a *female* AirBnB host who says they will actually be in the house. There are no guarantees in life but most AirBnB customers are very happy.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:09 AM

643 posts, read 326,629 times
What do hosts look for when accepting people as renters on airbnb? I've been thinking about renting a place from there. But are there certain requirements renters need to meet in order to be accepted?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:12 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Public transit and visiting LA do not go together.
They do, actually. I've never rented a car in LA.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:13 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
What do hosts look for when accepting people as renters on airbnb? I've been thinking about renting a place from there. But are there certain requirements renters need to meet in order to be accepted?
Nope. Just start staying and that'll get you reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or