U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,656,300 times

Advertisements

Pro: You may be able to deduct your travel as business expense and you can have free familiarization (fam) trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:09 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,264,627 times
I think it depends on the host agency. You are referring to working for a host agency, right? Some are legitimate and others not so much. Hostagencyreview can you let you see costs, reviews, etc. One of them only had something like a $25 initial fee and then you share commissions. Most offer training, etc.

Of course, you'll also have to get professional insurance.

Also, I only got as far as hearing that sometimes I could sometimes personally be held responsible for trip cancellations (not entirely sure how that worked), but I'd research that, too.

Travel agents are free for consumers. However, they also get inducements to steer consumers. Like any other business, you're going to have to establish trust.

Also, last I heard airlines don't pay travel agents commissions anymore. Everybody flies and they're going to want you to schedule their flights. Trust me, it's a nightmare. And you'll be doing that for free, should you choose to. Also, people will have you plan an entire trip and then they'll shop it around to see which agent gets it the cheapest. So you waste all that time planning and you don't get the commission.

Were I you, I'd look at multiple commission streams. For example, trip insurance.

I have been to Disney many times. I have it down to a system now. Want to stay at a Value hotel? I know when to go for the best rates, and which one has it's own bus (not shared with other resorts). I can't believe how many people don't understand the wrist bands or take advantage of Magical Express. If you have a family larger than 4 members, there are particular logistical problems. As far as Disney goes, people do not know what they don't know. They are probably wasting a ton of money and time.

I think you're right to specialize. I have friends who are travel agents and each specializes: One only does river cruises, another does destination weddings, another does trips for those who are disabled, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM

9,274 posts, read 8,356,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My start up costs are minimal and the job offer will or will not come first.
That you have any start up costs at all is a little bit of a red flag.

If they are insisting you have a land line and a computer connected to the internet directly (no wi-fi) then I know what this is.

You would be a third party call center for Disney people calling and making reservations. I think the pay is around $8 an hour.

They advertise for this all over Florida.

You will be tied to your computer set hours a day. If you love helping people that much by all means go for it but understand this isn't a travel agent job. You are basically a person at a call center.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 5,518,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I can't say I have ever used a travel agent. It's so easy to do it online... why would you bother?

For the people who don't want to bother with the above......and pay someone else to do it?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Status: "Welcome foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 1 day ago)

16,404 posts, read 8,934,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That you have any start up costs at all is a little bit of a red flag.

If they are insisting you have a land line and a computer connected to the internet directly (no wi-fi) then I know what this is.

You would be a third party call center for Disney people calling and making reservations. I think the pay is around $8 an hour.

They advertise for this all over Florida.

You will be tied to your computer set hours a day. If you love helping people that much by all means go for it but understand this isn't a travel agent job. You are basically a person at a call center.
The start up costs cover insurance and access to their data base.

No land line required-just a computer with internet access. I contact my agent mostly through e-mail, but occasionally by cell phone.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 PM

9,274 posts, read 8,356,216 times
Quote:

No land line required-just a computer with internet access. I contact my agent mostly through e-mail, but occasionally by cell phone.
Access to their data base?

Run as fast as you can. This isn't legit.

If you go to work for a company, you don't pay to access their data base. You are a trusted team member.

They want you to pay for leads.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,823,672 times
Quote:

Quote:

If you go to work for a company, you don't pay to access their data base. You are a trusted team member.

Yeah, these guys aren't your friends. Sorry for the bad news.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 PM

4,772 posts, read 2,572,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Travel agents rank right up there with car salesmen.

*cringe*

I worked at a hotel, we disliked Travel agents for two reasons: (1) Most tried to get FREE room and comps, saying they would refer folks to our property. (They never did!!) (2) See reason 1- They lie to benefit themselves.
Oh, please. Perhaps your hotel turned out not to be what their customer base would like. (Their real duty is to those who book with them.) The people desperately trying to get FREE room and comps are mostly millennial YouTube (and other Social Media) vloggers.

I watch many of them online and if they aren't comped they refer to their location as "the Airbnb where we are staying" and if they are comped they say "Oooooo look at the view from our room at the XXXXXXXX hotel, blah blah blah. You can link to their site over here.......Please do...It will help us soooooooo much...".

It's very rare that the bloggers disclose that they are comped for their accommodations, and when they do it's in the written comments, which we can't even see on our TiVo (but I can see when I watch on the laptop).

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Status: "Welcome foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion..." (set 1 day ago)

16,404 posts, read 8,934,705 times
Quote:

Again, I know the owner and several agents personally. It's not some e-mail scam. Each agent pays a small monthly fee to maintain the data base.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM

5,852 posts, read 8,627,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
My thoughts (not a travel agent): travel agents who are experts on very specific types of vacations (I guess Disney qualifies) and who advertise themselves as much will remain in existence. More general travel agents will become extinct if they haven't already.
Yes, I think this is true.

Most complicated, exotic trips still require travel agents. I don't use a travel agent anymore to simply buy plane tickets for domestic flights or book a hotel domestically for a short stay. But for longer international trips, I still use a travel agent. They can research different options, help plan logistics, advise on travel requirements, etc. There is still a market for travel agents but it's more narrow than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel