U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-make liberals cry again" (set 5 days ago)

16,347 posts, read 8,894,776 times

Advertisements

Had an interview with an on-line agency that does mostly Disney. I have much experience with Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line. Think my chances of being offered a position are good. Training would start in August. I have about 3 weeks to consider before confirming with agency owner.

I am retired and can devote time to my potential clients.

Would like advice from other agents. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM

735 posts, read 609,885 times
A travel what? Agent? What is that?

I am only half kidding, but with everything online and apps for most things, I don't see how this profession is still a thing.

Is the training free and are you paid for your time while being trained, are you guaranteed a base income either hourly or salary, do they have a local office that you would be working from with other employees?

If this is just something so 'that you can work from home and work for yourself' I would assume it's mostly a scam.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
A travel what? Agent? What is that?

I am only half kidding, but with everything online and apps for most things, I don't see how this profession is still a thing.

Is the training free and are you paid for your time while being trained, are you guaranteed a base income either hourly or salary, do they have a local office that you would be working from with other employees?

If this is just something so 'that you can work from home and work for yourself' I would assume it's mostly a scam.
No scam. I know the owners personally and have been using their services for years. As a traveler, it frees me up from watching for discounts, changes etc. Plus, my agent can sometimes get me a better deal than I can find.

This company and another I've used are making money hand-over-fist. A Disney vacation can be complicated and overwhelming to a newbie.

I'm retired and want to do a little work from home. Plus, I have a real passion for the Disney product.

Kinda wondering what the negative side might be, how many hours spent, etc.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:31 AM

1,804 posts, read 806,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No scam. I know the owners personally and have been using their services for years. As a traveler, it frees me up from watching for discounts, changes etc. Plus, my agent can sometimes get me a better deal than I can find.

This company and another I've used are making money hand-over-fist. A Disney vacation can be complicated and overwhelming to a newbie.

I'm retired and want to do a little work from home. Plus, I have a real passion for the Disney product.

Kinda wondering what the negative side might be, how many hours spent, etc.
I don't understand how can a Disney vacation be complicated?

Just pay for the tickets and spend a day there, mostly waiting in line.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

3,741 posts, read 7,037,035 times
A Disney vacation can most definitely be complicated. Having to plan out meals 6 months in advance, etc. Sure, there are people who wing it and show up with tickets, but for most of us who spend a small fortune to get there, spend 3-5 days in the parks, stay on property (or nearby), we want to get our money's worth. And I'd consider myself a pretty accomplished trip planner overall.

I've got some friends who are Disney vacation planners part time (both are teachers full time). They also have a partnership with Sandals resorts too. I think if you've got a passion for Disney and have some good experience in the past, it's worth looking at. But as others have hinted at, it's a dying profession overall. With Disney being an exception.

I'd also look into the various Disney forums that are out there. You'll find hundreds if not thousands of devoted Disneyphiles who are willing to share every minute detail of their trip planning experiences that you can learn from.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I don't understand how can a Disney vacation be complicated?

Just pay for the tickets and spend a day there, mostly waiting in line.
You're correct, you don't understand.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
A Disney vacation can most definitely be complicated. Having to plan out meals 6 months in advance, etc. Sure, there are people who wing it and show up with tickets, but for most of us who spend a small fortune to get there, spend 3-5 days in the parks, stay on property (or nearby), we want to get our money's worth. And I'd consider myself a pretty accomplished trip planner overall.

I've got some friends who are Disney vacation planners part time (both are teachers full time). They also have a partnership with Sandals resorts too. I think if you've got a passion for Disney and have some good experience in the past, it's worth looking at. But as others have hinted at, it's a dying profession overall. With Disney being an exception.

I'd also look into the various Disney forums that are out there. You'll find hundreds if not thousands of devoted Disneyphiles who are willing to share every minute detail of their trip planning experiences that you can learn from.
Yes, I've been apart of the Disboards and the Be Our Guest Podcast communities for years. I'm a seasoned Disney traveler.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
I can't say I have ever used a travel agent. It's so easy to do it online... why would you bother?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I can't say I have ever used a travel agent. It's so easy to do it online... why would you bother?
For the reasons stated above. Are you speaking travel in general or Disney?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:55 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
For the reasons stated above. Are you speaking travel in general or Disney?
My thoughts (not a travel agent): travel agents who are experts on very specific types of vacations (I guess Disney qualifies) and who advertise themselves as much will remain in existence. More general travel agents will become extinct if they haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel