U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,808,546 times

Advertisements

NY is boring compared to L.A.. L.A. got this one over NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:14 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
LA by a long shot....coming from Europe the feel is more exotic, more all-american (to the extreme of kitsch which I find enjoyably funny). NYC feels as "serious" (read: stuffy) as any European city . And I didn't even mention the climate...

Old 07-03-2017, 05:24 AM

1,182 posts, read 479,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
As I said, that's because you are comparing a self-contained city to a metro area. The City of Los Angeles is not so big within the city limits. If you want to add the separate cities of Burbank, Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Marina Del Rey and so forth, then to be fair, you should include all the cities of Long Island, Westchester, etc.
in your comparison.
That comparison doesn't work well because the California based entities are all part of one county, Los Angeles County and they meld seamlessly into each other. And I did limit the comment to what's in LA County ("and that's if you don't include Anaheim and Long Beach" which are in different counties altogether). NYC itself is broken up into separate counties, as are most of the outlying areas you mentioned. I didn't bring up metropolitan areas, because in LA that would have included Anaheim, Long Beach, and much more.

Besides, this was all tied to the notion of experiencing both as a tourist, as mentioned above.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:01 AM

1,182 posts, read 479,694 times
And if I'm "wrong" here, so is every company that puts out a travel book (Fodor's, Frommer's, etc.). From what I've seen they treat all these communities as "LA" and places like Anaheim and Long Beach as side trips. Feel free to write to them and complain if you want.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,103,068 times
I Love NY

Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,104,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
That comparison doesn't work well because the California based entities are all part of one county, Los Angeles County and they meld seamlessly into each other. And I did limit the comment to what's in LA County ("and that's if you don't include Anaheim and Long Beach" which are in different counties altogether). NYC itself is broken up into separate counties, as are most of the outlying areas you mentioned. I didn't bring up metropolitan areas, because in LA that would have included Anaheim, Long Beach, and much more.

Besides, this was all tied to the notion of experiencing both as a tourist, as mentioned above.
Los Angeles County is 13 times the size of NYC, even excluding "fluff" it's an uneven comparison. Counties in the east are generally smaller than those in the west. And much like "LA", NYC doesn't necessarily end at its borders. There's tons to do outside of city/county limits, I actually think both metro areas have more similarities than differences. But most tourists aren't going to experience an area in its entirety in one trip.

I choose LA, because I'm from NYC and I'm honestly over it, and I have a slight obsession with California.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:55 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,640,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Hamilton was not around 20 years ago. Nor are the other shows eligible for best musical (not a revival) and best new play (not a revival) at the Tony awards. The Plaza hotel has been closed as a hotel for years. In much of NYC, one can get a heavy fine if you honk your horn. That part of your post is very dated information. But people still do live on top of each other and the subway is pretty ugly.
I'll admit it has been. Quit going in about 2014. Part of NYC you can't honk, I must of missed that block That dang honking, I could take it no more. Its 24/7. Let me know when all the city goes honk free.
What is the purpose? My neighbor is from Manhattan. I asked her why, she said a warning you are changing lanes. But its not done most places to change lanes.

As I stated I went for around 20 years twice a year, guess you missed that part in your attempt to make me wrong.
Agree to disagree.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,372,022 times
Good old LA is my favorite.
Although I have had many a fun night in NYC .

Old 07-03-2017, 11:58 AM

8,133 posts, read 8,631,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

Right, but there are a lot of "touristy" areas outside of NYC, such as the Hamptons or the North Fork. And I agree about LA County and how the areas meld seamlessly. The LA "area" has a lot of diverse attractions, but so does the "NYC area," which is why I think not only is it an apples to oranges comparison in terms of culture but also because of the geographic boundaries. If anything, a better comparison would be SF with NYC. Both areas are financial and commercial megas with a go get them, career driven type of population in combination with the mellow artsy crowd. Both are big on museums and classical dance, music. But, obviously there are differences too. Comparing LA with NYC is like comparing Liverpool with London or Glasgow with London.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM

8,133 posts, read 8,631,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Los Angeles County is 13 times the size of NYC, even excluding "fluff" it's an uneven comparison. Counties in the east are generally smaller than those in the west. And much like "LA", NYC doesn't necessarily end at its borders. There's tons to do outside of city/county limits, I actually think both metro areas have more similarities than differences. But most tourists aren't going to experience an area in its entirety in one trip.

I choose LA, because I'm from NYC and I'm honestly over it, and I have a slight obsession with California.
Agree with both points. I love visiting LA and may some day end up living there in order to be near family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or