U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:59 AM

17,366 posts, read 19,643,160 times

Advertisements

Even if someone doesn't care to visit "America," they should still see New York City because it is the world's city.

The pinnacle of urban and cultural experience in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:18 AM

9,897 posts, read 5,084,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Visited Manhattan 30 years ago . The show on Broadway was "Cats"; I've learn that today that show is still going on. I don't see much new and much creativity here.
Cats has not been open that entire 30 years. It's called a revival, and this particular one has only been open for about a year. Sure, there are revivals (revivals often profitable because casual theater goers frequently go with what they are familiar with), but there are also plenty of new shows. Was "Hamilton" or "Dear Evan Hanson" showing 30 years ago? How about "Come From Away"?" Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812"? "Waitress"?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,684,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York is pretty much the world capital.

But some people may root for the underdog.
How would someone be rooting for the underdog if they 'prefer' LA? The 2 cities are completely different. LA has warmer weather, more beaches, more spread out, less hardcore urban, etc. If a person prefers warmer weather and more outdoors/beach lifestyle, then prefering LA would make sense and would have nothing to do with "[rooting] for the underdog."

Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM

3,380 posts, read 2,851,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As Alpha+ world cities go, I've only been to NYC, L.A., and Mexico City. I actually like L.A. the best, followed by Mexico City (its barrios are true hellholes, but its middle-class and upper middle-class areas are beautiful) and NYC.
I'm not sure if you're talking about the GWaC rankings, but in the latest rankings, LA and Mexico City are only Alpha cities. New York is still Alpha++. I'm not sure if LA was ever an Alpha+ city, but I could be mistaken.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,306,022 times
It depends.

For culture - dining, arts, history - New York.

For the outdoors - Los Angeles.

Overall? Hard to say. The dining/arts/history of Los Angeles is better than the outdoors of New York and so it gets the edge. But if I had two free trips, it would probably be one to each destination, not both to one or the other. Vive la difference!

That's just my subjective preference. Others will differ. Only the fool thinks their tastes in this regard should be the same for everyone.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 AM

17,366 posts, read 19,643,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
How would someone be rooting for the underdog if they 'prefer' LA? The 2 cities are completely different. LA has warmer weather, more beaches, more spread out, less hardcore urban, etc. If a person prefers warmer weather and more outdoors/beach lifestyle, then prefering LA would make sense and would have nothing to do with "[rooting] for the underdog."
NYC is the largest, the most urban and the most complete city in America. If anybody wants to see the best that this country has to offer, then they go to NYC. It has the highest profile in this country and globally. Simple really.

Of course, a person can personally prefer another city for various legitimate reasons. There's nothing wrong with that. But I'm simply pointing out the distinction.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 AM

1,813 posts, read 819,422 times
Quote:
NYC is the largest, the most urban and the most complete city in America. If anybody wants to see the best that this country has to offer, then they go to NYC. It has the highest profile in this country and globally. Simple really.

Of course, a person can personally prefer another city for various legitimate reasons. There's nothing wrong with that. But I'm simply pointing out the distinction.
Who cares?

Alaska offers much more than NYC, despite of the global city hype.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,684,397 times
Quote:

Best by who's definition? It's not simple really. You're basing everything based on traditional urban metrics. Does NYC have better beaches than LA?

In fact, as other posters have mentioned, LA would offer a more unique experience, especially for travelers coming from Europe or big cities in Asia.

And the original question, was which city do people "prefer," so there is no clear winner or underdog, which is why pointing out the urban metrics of NYC is pointless.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 AM

9,897 posts, read 5,084,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Who cares?

Much more of what? Not everyone is into communing with nature.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:35 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,220,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Who cares?

LOL, just no...

And as for the topic, I've never actually even been to California, but I've always had an obsession with it. As much as I love NYC, I think the weather in Cali would win me over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or