Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:03 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I'll admit it has been. Quit going in about 2014. Part of NYC you can't honk, I must of missed that block That dang honking, I could take it no more. Its 24/7. Let me know when all the city goes honk free.
What is the purpose? My neighbor is from Manhattan. I asked her why, she said a warning you are changing lanes. But its not done most places to change lanes.

As I stated I went for around 20 years twice a year, guess you missed that part in your attempt to make me wrong.
Agree to disagree.
Oh sorry, thought you meant the same broadway shows have been around for 20 years. And some are! But there are plenty of new ones too. Yeah, big fine if you honk in Manhattan. I had to learn to cut out that habit. Younger and newer drivers do not honk so much as us old farts. Honking and hand signals have faded away.

And sorry, didn't mean to come off as offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 02:47 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
LA - any day of the week.

Love California.

New York City is the only American city I dislike.
I have to ask...is this because of the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:10 PM

277 posts, read 327,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have to ask...is this because of the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry?
LOL! No, not at all even though I am a huge Red Sox fan.

I love cities and city life very much. I can't think of one city I have been to besides NYC that I disliked. Years ago I would be sent there for work three or four times a year. The entire process was difficult. Situations would arise that would never arise in other cities I worked. I did not find most of the people I worked with or interacted with pleasant at all. Some were outright hostile or rude which really surprised me.

Plus there was the getting into and out of NY which was difficult on most occasions. The weather in August was really bad, the weather during winter just as bad as Boston. I just found a total sense of chaos in that city.

Funny thing is I thought I would love NY.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
LOL! No, not at all even though I am a huge Red Sox fan.

I love cities and city life very much. I can't think of one city I have been to besides NYC that I disliked. Years ago I would be sent there for work three or four times a year. The entire process was difficult. Situations would arise that would never arise in other cities I worked. I did not find most of the people I worked with or interacted with pleasant at all. Some were outright hostile or rude which really surprised me.

Plus there was the getting into and out of NY which was difficult on most occasions. The weather in August was really bad, the weather during winter just as bad as Boston. I just found a total sense of chaos in that city.

Funny thing is I thought I would love NY.
I hear you. I don't hate NYC, but I don't love it, either.

NYC is great to visit for a few days, but it takes a..."special" personality, either one who is incredibly type-A and cutthroat or just a tried-and-true native otherwise, to really embrace the city. I don't mean just love Times Square as a visitor, but truly embrace the city. For such an incredibly wealthy and cosmopolitan city--the "Capital of the World," as it were and as they self-proclaim--I find the level of dirt, grime, filth, and vermin to be completely unacceptable. NYC has plenty of resources to clean up its act; while it has improved in terms of quality of life, including crime, since the 1980s, NYC also didn't have much of anywhere else to look but up!

I've been to DC and Philly, but not yet Boston. But, I like Philly the best of the Northeast "alphas" I've been to so far.

Out here on the West Coast, people in L.A., where I live, can also be quite hostile and cold--antithetical to the Californian "laid back" stereotype. We have plenty of road rage out here. However, at least in L.A. you can get back in your car and be in your own world, which makes dealing with the traffic far more tolerable. We also have almost all the culture that NYC has, if you know know where to look for it. That said, while I find L.A. to just be hostile and cold, while I've actually met more outright rude individuals in San Diego (boring city for its size and still so surprisingly rude) and San Francisco (can be so fun, but so cold socially).

As Alpha+ world cities go, I've only been to NYC, L.A., and Mexico City. I actually like L.A. the best, followed by Mexico City (its barrios are true hellholes, but its middle-class and upper middle-class areas are beautiful) and NYC.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 PM

277 posts, read 327,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I hear you. I don't hate NYC, but I don't love it, either.

NYC is great to visit for a few days, but it takes a..."special" personality, either one who is incredibly type-A and cutthroat or just a tried-and-true native otherwise, to really embrace the city. I don't mean just love Times Square as a visitor, but truly embrace the city. For such an incredibly wealthy and cosmopolitan city--the "Capital of the World," as it were and as they self-proclaim--I find the level of dirt, grime, filth, and vermin to be completely unacceptable. NYC has plenty of resources to clean up its act; while it has improved in terms of quality of life, including crime, since the 1980s, NYC also didn't have much of anywhere else to look but up!

I've been to DC and Philly, but not yet Boston. But, I like Philly the best of the Northeast "alphas" I've been to so far.

Out here on the West Coast, people in L.A., where I live, can also be quite hostile and cold--antithetical to the Californian "laid back" stereotype. We have plenty of road rage out here. However, at least in L.A. you can get back in your car and be in your own world, which makes dealing with the traffic far more tolerable. We also have almost all the culture that NYC has, if you know know where to look for it. That said, while I find L.A. to just be hostile and cold, while I've actually met more outright rude individuals in San Diego (boring city for its size and still so surprisingly rude) and San Francisco (can be so fun, but so cold socially).

As Alpha+ world cities go, I've only been to NYC, L.A., and Mexico City. I actually like L.A. the best, followed by Mexico City (its barrios are true hellholes, but its middle-class and upper middle-class areas are beautiful) and NYC.
Boston is a fantastic city to live in and visit. Pretty much everything is accessible by foot or by a quick trip on the MBTA. There are a lot of friendly people here but there are any number of smug PIA residents as well. Oddly enough, many of these condescending folks weren't even born here.

If you do visit, take a trip over to the North End which is really nice. This is the old Italian American section of Boston. Take a walk through the Back Bay and Beacon Hill - real old Boston and stunning. It's a fun place. Getting pretty crowded and expensive though.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
You could say NYC vs any town..I'd take any place other then NYC.
I dread tourist traps...And NYC thrives on it.
Couldn't even enjoy central park..As ppl were hustling...

Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You could say NYC vs any town..I'd take any place other then NYC.
I dread tourist traps...And NYC thrives on it.
Couldn't even enjoy central park..As ppl were hustling...
Why would you judge a city based on tourist traps?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
I feel like some of the people who've actually been to NYC and say they don't like it, didn't venture outside of the super touristy areas much.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Right, but there are a lot of "touristy" areas outside of NYC, such as the Hamptons or the North Fork. And I agree about LA County and how the areas meld seamlessly. The LA "area" has a lot of diverse attractions, but so does the "NYC area," which is why I think not only is it an apples to oranges comparison in terms of culture but also because of the geographic boundaries. If anything, a better comparison would be SF with NYC. Both areas are financial and commercial megas with a go get them, career driven type of population in combination with the mellow artsy crowd. Both are big on museums and classical dance, music. But, obviously there are differences too. Comparing LA with NYC is like comparing Liverpool with London or Glasgow with London.
The apples to oranges analogue is appropriate, agreed. The OP asked for the comparison of NYC and LA with no further definition, and in the Travel part of the forum, so that's why I replied as I did -- using the way travel books and guides seem to think of the two entities. Agreed, an initial definition of terms by the OP would have been useful.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Visited Manhattan 30 years ago . The show on Broadway was "Cats"; I've learn that today that show is still going on. I don't see much new and much creativity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel