U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 8,612,301 times

Advertisements

Those who have taken 6 months or more for an extended trip? By this I mean fully on the road for the whole time out of the country? I did it once about 7 years ago and had the most incredible time, visited 23 countries. I am thinking of doing it again in the next year or two when I have a bit more saved up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:01 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Those who have taken 6 months or more for an extended trip? By this I mean fully on the road for the whole time out of the country? I did it once about 7 years ago and had the most incredible time, visited 23 countries. I am thinking of doing it again in the next year or two when I have a bit more saved up.
We are planning on setting up a hub in Incheon South Korea to travel Asia. We expect that to last about 2 years or so. So no not yet but we expect that is how we will live over the next 10 years. Pick a hub and move there for a period of time using that as a base of operations.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Did a 1 yr RTW in 2016 to avoid being in USA during an Election yr.
  • Cost <$40k for 2
  • 8 hotels total for entire yr (We prefer to stay with locals)
  • Rental cars / campervans were a lot more that they will be next time... (I will buy in region and resell). For Europe, I may take a Euro Delivery car and sell it upon return to USA. I also will export one of my Motorcycles and possibly a campervan (Friends jammed their Canadian RV in a container and shipped it to Amsterdam where it lived (in various parts of Europe) for 5 yrs)
  • Regional discount air is very cheap in Europe and Asia (~$30 - $60)
  • Staying in a central location as a hub will save on hassle / expense (You can rent a very inexpensive furnished flat within commute distance to most cities)
  • Eat like a local... grocery / food markets ~ $10 / day, often less.
  • Travel Health Insurance was REALLY CHEAP!!! $800 for 2 for 6+ months (NEVER go home!, and they prefer you have primary coverage, but it is NOT a requirement (Good thing! USA 'primary' costs $1700/ month last yr and $2200 / month this yr)
  • We did volunteer gigs at vocational schools / camps (Free room and board) all were in tourist / prime view areas and all had great international students and staff. (more 'connections' / ideas for future travel)
This yr we have a 'companion' pass so fly every week (Within USA and nearby)
Also have done Asia 2x (medi-vacations / cultural events)

Home(s) have separate living space and main space is rented out for 'cash positive' house / plant / pet sitters. (Has worked well for nearly 10 yrs)

when I have a bit more saved up... Don't wait too long. Our 1 yr was 100% on HELOC (borrowed funds). Ironically.... while gone, we sold (2) commercial properties that we had been trying to unload for 7 yrs. That covered the trip, and many more! HELOC is still 3%, so better go while USD is strong and costs are low. Could be a 20% - 40% 'adder' in the future

Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 PM

5,967 posts, read 2,903,874 times
Our current trip RTW has been two years, and we have only made it halfway around so far. Will be in Europe all summer, then heading to Central/South America for awhile maybe a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or