U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM

15,392 posts, read 5,209,192 times

Advertisements

Cracker barrels are always a safe bet for rest rooms and food!Usually they are right next to a hotel of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,302,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I am planning a road trip for the week of Thanksgiving to drive from NYC to South Florida. Can anyone advise on where a good stopping point would be for the night. I need to find a hotel that accepts dogs so I need to book a reservation. I only need the room to sleep not planning on doing any sight seeing so just a place to rest. Clean room though.

My plan so far:

Leave NYC around 6 am drive until 6/7 pm. Make some short rest stops to eat/gas/walk the dogs and stretch the legs. Usually after a few hours my butt starts to hurt and becomes numb.

I am not sure where that would leave me. I thought I can possible make it to NC or SC but not sure and have no idea about the city.

I would love some advice of those that have done the trip before. If I didn't have my dogs I would just stop when I felt tired at any hotel that had a vacancy but because of them I need to have a better plan.

Thanks
It's not a terrible trip. There are lots of rest stops, some with gas, etc in NJ, MD and VA. It is very well possible to get to the middle of SC, and most hotels probably will not care. I think the last time I did that trip the hotel was fine with pets. If you want I can try and find it.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:12 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times
Charlotte is the halfway point. If you want to drive more the first day, add on 2.5 more hours to be in Florence SC. The rest areas/stops on 95 will be the worst part along with getting gas near the holiday because of the volume of people traveling. 95 from NYC to FL is tough on normal volume days.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 AM

2,247 posts, read 5,975,726 times
I drove from the northeastern suburbs of NYC to NE Florida about 2 years ago. I didn't go to the 95 Route. From Manhatten, you'd have to take the Holland Tolland to 78 all the way to the end in Harrisburg,PA then 81 South to 77. I took that route, minimal traffic in the rural areas and spent a night just over the SC border in Rock Hill. Leaving rock hill, 76 to 26 to 95 Rock Hill to Ft. Lauderedale would be another 10 hours

Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,302,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I drove from the northeastern suburbs of NYC to NE Florida about 2 years ago. I didn't go to the 95 Route. From Manhatten, you'd have to take the Holland Tolland to 78 all the way to the end in Harrisburg,PA then 81 South to 77. I took that route, minimal traffic in the rural areas and spent a night just over the SC border in Rock Hill. Leaving rock hill, 76 to 26 to 95 Rock Hill to Ft. Lauderedale would be another 10 hours
That route makes no sense to go to South Florida-It'd probably add four to five hours

Old 07-07-2017, 05:08 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFL View Post
That (west loop I-81/77) route makes no sense to go to South Florida
-It'd probably add four to five hours (to the I-95 route)
It would add miles certainly.
The theory is that it will save X hours of congestion ... plus the aggravation.

Of course you could get to Sarasota and then decide to stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel