Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

So I know I've posed this question before, but am starting over in planning a trip to Europe in early September. I should have already booked it, but only have booked the hotel in Amsterdam. I booked it a year ago and then didn't go because I didn't know what I was doing with trying to use miles and not being able to get what I wanted. The hotel owner gave me a year to use it or lose it. So of course September is a year. I have 4 nights booked in early September in a great pace in Amsterdam, but I don't just want to stay there. I'm trying to figure out 2 other cities to spend 2-3 nights each and where to fly in/out of. The order doesn't matter. Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Brussels? Frankfurt, Amsterdam, London? I have no idea where else to go.

It sure would help if I was going with someone and not alone, as for me this planning is overwhelming. Where are the best places to just relax, enjoy some beer, see a few museums, have some fun nightlife? I don't need to pan every second of the day, but have a few cool things to do. Would love some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 12:14 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Frankfurt (in my opinion) is a place to make air connections rather than visit. If you want to visit a German city Munich is a far better choice.

I think London is a far better choice than Brussels.

Consider making it only two cities and doing a few day trips by train. From Amsterdam: Delft. Maybe Rotterdam for the modern architecture. From London: Cambridge or Oxford.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Which cities interest you the most? I love Paris and Berlin, am less interested in London and Brusels, for examp!e. But that's me.

I travel solo fairly often and enjoy research/planning. What part is overwhelming you? You might want to check out the Trip advisor forums for each city and read up on places.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
If you do put London on the list, flying into it and starting there but not out of it for long haul (ie. open jaw transatlantic routing) saves you $125-$200 in UK departure taxes depending on current exchange rates.

I like Germany quite a bit and would go for Munich or Berlin as first picks there.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Which cities interest you the most? I love Paris and Berlin, am less interested in London and Brusels, for examp!e. But that's me.

I travel solo fairly often and enjoy research/planning. What part is overwhelming you? You might want to check out the Trip advisor forums for each city and read up on places.
I've never been to Paris. Would love to go, but think that should be done another time with a woman. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking that. So Munich and Berlin are ones to choose from. I think Germany needs to be a stop. Maybe I just do Amsterdam and a German city. I think it would be fun to see the country on a train ride. I did hear Bruges was a better choice than Brussels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you do put London on the list, flying into it and starting there but not out of it for long haul (ie. open jaw transatlantic routing) saves you $125-$200 in UK departure taxes depending on current exchange rates.

I like Germany quite a bit and would go for Munich or Berlin as first picks there.
Thanks, I didn't know that about London.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
UK departure taxes are effectively distance-based and I want to say class of service based. So not much tax on a London-Berlin or Glasgow-Paris economy route but can be dear on a first class ticket from LHR to Hong Kong and such.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Bruges, Antwerp and Waterloo are all short train rides from Brussels, which makes an excellent base for exploring Belgium. The restaurants in Brussels are superb and you have two cuisines to pick from, the Flemish and the French.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:52 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Both Munich and Berlin are indeed great. The mountains above Munich have ski resorts that rent very cheaply when not ski season. I stayed in a full apartment with 2 bedrooms and kitchen near Hitler's AdlerHoff (Eagle's Nest WWII compound) for $125/day in October. Frankfort isn't too historic but a great base for the fabulously scenic Rhine Valley and historic cities like Kohl (Cologne) and beautiful little medieval villages.

Adjacent Germany to the south of Munich are wonderful historic (Vienna) and Alpine scenic (Mondsee, Saltzburg) cities in Austria that I would highly recommend. Saltsburg, appropriately, has huge salt mines underneath it and a fabulous mine-car attraction that gives you an extensive tour of an abandoned one through the gorgeous multicolor flowing salt deposits.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:25 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the locations you're considering. I highly recommend checking out Rick Steves website and/or guidebooks to help you decide.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Forget Frankfurt unless you are meeting someone: Munich, Berlin or Cologne are much, much better for your Germanic fix. And all 3 are quite different from the other, ...a young guy - so I say Berlin probably. Cologne is closer to your other cities & if time is an issue may suffice since it is nice & laid back. Octoberfest is at the end of September in Munich. I get exactly what you are saying about Paris & agree, I've never been but have been told Brussels is an underrated gem in the same gallic vein with great food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel