U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:23 PM

13,832 posts, read 18,845,606 times

Advertisements

I cannot understand why no one has mentioned Atlanta Georgia airport Hartsfield omg what a joke ....these people are so rude and nasty and my insulin pump had to be removed to their satisfaction . I was flying to las vegas nv from florida . which meant that we were going to be stopping over in dallas /ft worth as well . They were really okay there .But they insisted that I remove my insulin pump and one of the jerk wads did not even know what it was and he told me I was lucky he did not alert security and get myself shot . I was late and missed my flight and so I had to call my friends who had already made it there that I was going to be on a later flight . I'm so glad I don't have to fly much anymore except for pleasure and at this point I would rather drive .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM

13,185 posts, read 20,842,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can honestly say I've never had a bad TSA experience, including recent trips to San Francisco and Ft Lauderdale. I find it interesting that you don't mention Atlanta. I wouldn't either, unless it was in the thumb's up column. With the amount of traffic that goes through the checkpoints there on a daily basis, I could forgive the TSA agents for being grumpy. But the vast majority are pleasant and polite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot understand why no one has mentioned Atlanta Georgia airport Hartsfield omg what a joke ....these people are so rude and nasty and my insulin pump had to be removed to their satisfaction . I was flying to las vegas nv from florida . which meant that we were going to be stopping over in dallas /ft worth as well . They were really okay there .But they insisted that I remove my insulin pump and one of the jerk wads did not even know what it was and he told me I was lucky he did not alert security and get myself shot . I was late and missed my flight and so I had to call my friends who had already made it there that I was going to be on a later flight . I'm so glad I don't have to fly much anymore except for pleasure and at this point I would rather drive .
I guess you missed it. I live in Atlanta. Hartsfield is an incredibly busy airport, and runs amazingly well considering the traffic that passes through. I have never, ever had a bad TSA experience there.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 PM

679 posts, read 619,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Hilo, HI is great and FAST
Once, I got there 15 minutes before my flight (I mixed up the time). I got my boarding pass, went through TSA, stopped at the bathroom, and still made my flight. I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line there, usually less than 5.

Honolulu is awful. The lines wend through the lobby and out the door, and I get "randomly" pulled out for extra attention every freaking time, even when I have pre-check.
I've been lucky at Honolulu I guess, once I totally forgot to take my 'liquids bag' out of my carry-on and they were so super nice about it, all smiles and consideration. I've been thru that airport a few times and never a problem.

Maui, on the other hand, seems like the agents there just lost their best dog - rude, nasty looks (stink eye), snarly if they speak at all, same with Kauai, treat me like they're just Sure I'm up to something!

And yeah what's up with the 'random' special pat downs and ripping apart my bags even with pre-check??
For me it happens at Maui though not HNL.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 PM

1,919 posts, read 969,383 times
My funniest experience with a TSA agent was when I had a large chunk of quartz (and I do mean LARGE) in my carry-on bag. A youngish screener pulls my bag off the conveyor belt and calls his supervisor over.

I said, "You're probably seeing the large rock in there, aren't you?"

The supervisor said, "Yeah, it looks like a rock, but I still have to look at it. Besides, I told him (pointing to the young screener) that if he called me over here ONE.MORE.TIME for a rock, I'm going to take it out of the bag and beat him to death with it."

We had a good laugh and I was on my way.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,275,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hartsfield is hell on earth and I'm also glad that I am able to drive 95% of the time even if it takes me a couple of days or a 18-hour drive to get there. I didn't have any issues with TSA at Hartsfield but the lines are tremendously long and people were getting antsy and downright rude...which made the TSA agents in turn become rude. I was at Hartsfield on a connecting flight and ended up missing it because the lines were so long. I had my wallet stolen and while I was there some guys tried to steal a woman's purse and the police were chasing him through the crowded airport. That place is one hot mess that hopefully I'll never have to deal with again anytime soon. Sorry to hear about your bad experience; that's crazy they made you remove your insulin pump

Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 PM

9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
My dad and stepmother were in Kansas City, I believe a few years back, this is before the liquids ban.. got through security.. She bought an apple at a vendor, they sit down and she pulls out a paring knife and starts peeling the apple.

After about a minute, it clicked.. Holy crap.. We got through security with a knife.. He walked it back to security and gave it to them.. Apparently they may have started to get a little bit of an attitude.. Then he pulled out his government ID (US Attorney's Office) and they became much nicer. I didn't witness any of this, just the story that was told to me.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,054,149 times
I have had a few 'unpleasant' experiences, but it was mainly because the agents were scared. They did not want near us, but also did not want us to get away...or blow up the airport.

First time I was traveling from Ontario, CA to Philadelphia. I had a carry on with boxes of antique round metal Christmas ornaments. Each box had maybe 12 ornaments in it in a divided box. I packed a few pieces of clothing around the boxes so they would not move in the suitcase.

Apparently they looked like very scary bombs on the scanner. So they did not want to touch the suitcase. They wanted to see my hands up at all times. They wanted me to stand near the suitcase (Apparently they did not think I was a suicide bomber), but not close enough to touch it. None of them wanted to be near it. They wiped the explosive cloth all over it with a stick. I told them when asked that it was just "Christmas stuff" from my mom's as she was getting rid of her old stuff.

After they opened the suitcase, they then proceeded to break a bunch of the ornaments before they figured out what they were. They lifted each one out of the box to make sure it was empty and had no weight because they could not see into them. I thought that once they saw they were ornaments they would not be scared and be ok, but they were already soooo worked up they had to go on and touch each one and break so many

Next event was traveling from Ontario, CA again to Nashville, TN. This time they stopped my daughter and asked her what was in her backpack. She replied toys. They asked me, and I said I do not know, she packed it herself. I could tell they were scared again....

I asked my daughter to tell them what toys she had, and she started naming a bunch of stuffed animals...lots of them. So I translated and told them that there were a lot of stuffed animals, some electronic, talked, moved, etc, and they were compressed to fit that many in the backpack. They said a stuffed animal was not the problem.

They did the explosive wipe from a distance again. EVERY TSP person was looking at the scan. The supervisor was called. They were ALL scared. No one was near the backpack.

They closed the line then carefully started opening the backpack way off to the side and stuffed animals popped out through the opening. That kid could push in a stuffie fast and compress the backpack and add another. She was good! They did not appreciate her packing.

They had the zipper half open and looked at the scan again, trying to see where in the bag the mysterious item was. They took a break and asked me about my kids--I am white, they are adopted and Indian. I explained, showed them the passports. They still were not happy. We are PRE Check through my work, and I worked for the government with a pretty good security clearance.

Finally, after about 45 minutes they opened the backpack and got enough stuffies out to find the scary item. IT was a 12 pack of giant chalk. When they pulled it out, I laughed, then the TSA guy with it in his hand asked what it was. I told him giant chalk, like they use on a chalk board in school, but big to use on a driveway to draw pictures. He laughed. All the TSA guys came to see the 12 pack of chalk.

Then they showed me the scan. Yep, the sharpened chalk looked just like a 12 pack of miniature missiles!

So neither of the times were 'pleasant', but both times showed me that the agents were doing their jobs, and I always try to leave time for these extra adventures!

MY only question, is what will we bring on next that seems harmless to us, but scares the h ll out of the TSA guys???

Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 AM

10,535 posts, read 8,798,907 times
I've had much more trouble at pass control in other EU countries, getting back into the Schengen zone from the US. Twice, I've been stopped and been made to wait while they investigated the authenticity of Danish residence status.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,703 posts, read 40,093,605 times
TSA varies a lot (usually by location / management / local culture), but is VERY much a USA Federal Employment gravy train.

#1) NEVER expect customer centric / engaged employees in at Hartsfield (ATL)

Denver has always been my worst,
San Diego is the only place I was caused to miss a flight by TSA, but fortunately, stellar Alaska Air honored my ticket from another carrier and got me OUTTA there within 3 min of arriving at gate!

Today Austin TSA was totally laid back, Very fast,

80 flights so far this yr (just my USA flights), but TSA is just another 'institution' doing what they have been told. I certainly don't feel they are an airport security SCREENING' entity. They are pretty clueless and not at all perceptive (As are very few Americans). +/-, but a BIG MINUS for security screening .

Just doing what they are told... check the box and DO NOT miss a coffee break!!! They seem to spend a lot more time talking about who is supposed to be on break, than they do strategically screening passengers. They are clueless to personalities / risks (Thus people get through with knives and guns...).

But !!! they are doing their "required' tasks..

Take the paycheck and run!

Good gig if you can get it!

I have been quite put off by watching TSA staff bargain between each other about who gets the loot (surrendered items). I commented to a supervisor in DEN about how unprofessional that was and he got very belligerent with me and told me that is how he runs HIS dept to add to the 'incentive' of the job! He threatened to have me sent to a TSA interrogation if I didn't just be quiet and let him run HIS dept!, his way .

I've worked for too many of 'that type'..

Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,533,781 times
After flying thru European Airports, TSA staff is miles better. Atleast they smile or try to talk at TSA, staff is all surly and grumpy at European airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or