U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
They interrogate anyone who boards El Al requiring you to answer questions about your connection to Judaism.
Nonsense. I've gone through the questioning and not once was anything related to Judaism mentioned.

They were far more interested in passport stamps from other Middle Eastern countries and why my birth country didn't match my USA citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFL View Post
Whenever I am overseas, I have no problems with security; it is at a much more reasonable level than ours (IE no body scanners, few pat downs, etc). The agents over there are much more friendly than ours; For example, coming back from Germany recently, I had left a bottle of water in my bag from earlier in the trip, which the bag scanner had picked up on, and the guy simply said "Do you have a bottle in there?" and let me go through my own bag, without making me take everything out, etc to find it. In the States, my bag would've been confiscated, searched, had half of it stolen, and gotten a full body cavity search. They actually treat passengers as innocent till guilty, as opposed to our system.
I've had friendly in the US and unfriendly in the US.

Overseas has more metal detectors instead of scanners but that's same same, it's still going through a machine that might have false positives.

Many countries have been far more thorough and time consuming checking bags than in USA, usually in the US it's just through the scanner and done. Some places they rummage through by hand, splitting the line into men and women so same gender agent works you.

Some places are much more strict on what you have. Overseas we've had small cable locks seized because they didn't like the thin steel ropes, eyebrow scissors taken, etc. and we've seen people get their collapsible hiking poles taken away.

There is no "overseas" that one can state has any consistency is easier, friendlier, or treats anyone differently than in the USA. It's a big world, and it depends where you are and on a bit of luck.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:06 AM

12,263 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've had friendly in the US and unfriendly in the US.

Overseas has more metal detectors instead of scanners but that's same same, it's still going through a machine that might have false positives.

Many countries have been far more thorough and time consuming checking bags than in USA, usually in the US it's just through the scanner and done. Some places they rummage through by hand, splitting the line into men and women so same gender agent works you.

Some places are much more strict on what you have. Overseas we've had small cable locks seized because they didn't like the thin steel ropes, eyebrow scissors taken, etc. and we've seen people get their collapsible hiking poles taken away.

There is no "overseas" that one can state has any consistency is easier, friendlier, or treats anyone differently than in the USA. It's a big world, and it depends where you are and on a bit of luck.
International airports are usually more thorough.
-In Europe they have there version of TSA screening as well as an additional personal interview by airline personal - "did you pack your own bags", etc.
-In Asia or Africa it usually involved a much more detailed pat down rather than the interview. I love China, usually it is young attractive female security that do the pat downs, and they leave nothing out. After I am done I want to take out a couple bills from my pocket and stuff it in there shirt.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 AM

3,740 posts, read 7,034,910 times
Pleasant experience: I've only had Global Entry (which also gets you TSA PreCheck) for a year or so and it has really made the experience much less stressful. Obviously, access to the less crowded lanes and not as thorough screening process is nice. And maybe it's just me, but the TSA staff in those lanes seem to be slightly nicer too.

I've had a few unpleasant experiences but nothing that is worth noting. I try to have the attitude that they're just doing their jobs and as long as it's nothing egregious, and I've done my part by getting there early and packing properly, then just be patient.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 AM

9,773 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Pleasant experience: I've only had Global Entry (which also gets you TSA PreCheck) for a year or so and it has really made the experience much less stressful. Obviously, access to the less crowded lanes and not as thorough screening process is nice. And maybe it's just me, but the TSA staff in those lanes seem to be slightly nicer too.
Because they don't have to deal with the idiots who either are clueless about the process or who get in line with a giant chip on their shoulder and an attitude to match.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Nonsense. I've gone through the questioning and not once was anything related to Judaism mentioned.

They were far more interested in passport stamps from other Middle Eastern countries and why my birth country didn't match my USA citizenship.
I was going on Birthright. Maybe it is different. You have to be Jewish to go on Birthright so they might have been thinking how did I get on Birthright if I'm not Jewish? (You only need one parent to be Jewish for Birthright - doesn't matter which).

Perhaps the screening process could be different for each circumstance. I'm not the only one this happened to on the trip. A bunch of us were in a room together. Everyone was crying. It was very scary. They were treating us like we were criminals.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I've had a few unpleasant experiences but nothing that is worth noting. I try to have the attitude that they're just doing their jobs and as long as it's nothing egregious, and I've done my part by getting there early and packing properly, then just be patient.
If everyone had your attitude travel (and I guess the world in general) would be a better place.

It's almost like people are itching to be a victim when it comes to airports.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
International airports are usually more thorough.
-In Europe they have there version of TSA screening as well as an additional personal interview by airline personal - "did you pack your own bags", etc.
-In Asia or Africa it usually involved a much more detailed pat down rather than the interview. I love China, usually it is young attractive female security that do the pat downs, and they leave nothing out. After I am done I want to take out a couple bills from my pocket and stuff it in there shirt.
My worst border experience was indeed in Africa, late at night on the bus going from South Africa to Namibia.

On the South African side they first get everyone off the bus and collect passports. Then one dude says "all men come with me" so you're separated from your wife which causes additional stress for both of you. We men-folk are led to a building where we go one by one into a room for a private body search. While this is happening they pull all the baggage off the bus and spread it out on the ground to go through it while the ladies watch,

I asked a local if this was normal and he said it usually only happens when there are passports from Nigeria, Angola, or DRC in the stack, so maybe just bad luck on who our fellow passengers were.

Still, no big deal, just a delay and their country their rules so get through it and move on. 20 minutes later Namibia was much easier, and they surprised me with the high tech truck sized stuff they had to x-ray and sniff entire vehicles.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM

9,773 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
if everyone had your attitude travel (and i guess the world in general) would be a better place.

truth!!!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Quote:
If everyone had your attitude travel (and I guess the world in general) would be a better place.

Sorry, I disagree with that last part.

I can be a bit of a smartass, sure, but, I am super pleasant and personable to everyone I come into contact with, including TSA, as, again, they are doing their jobs.

My problem is the way they treat you like you are guilty and seemingly talk down to you.. Its the "power trip" mentality of some of them (note: just some, not all). If I did something wrong, or packed something I can't bring, then it's my fault and it should be handled accordingly. However, taking every thing you have in your bag and swabbing it while lecturing me and asking the same questions over and over again.. that's what I have a problem with. I have not only experienced it myself, but, with other people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or