U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2017, 02:01 PM
 
9,834 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Reputation: 33998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with that last part.

I can be a bit of a smartass, sure, but, I am super pleasant and personable to everyone I come into contact with, including TSA, as, again, they are doing their jobs.

My problem is the way they treat you like you are guilty and seemingly talk down to you.. Its the "power trip" mentality of some of them (note: just some, not all). If I did something wrong, or packed something I can't bring, then it's my fault and it should be handled accordingly. However, taking every thing you have in your bag and swabbing it while lecturing me and asking the same questions over and over again.. that's what I have a problem with. I have not only experienced it myself, but, with other people as well.
Frequent flyer here, and I've NEVER had everything taken out of my bag or been lectured or asked the same questions over and over. Perhaps it has something to do with you being a "bit of a smartass"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,665 posts, read 6,493,894 times
Reputation: 4171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Frequent flyer here, and I've NEVER had everything taken out of my bag or been lectured or asked the same questions over and over. Perhaps it has something to do with you being a "bit of a smartass"?

Doubtful, considering these things happened prior to being a smartass. I am a yes sir, no sir kind of person. It hasn't happened often, but, when it does, it doesn't feel good to be presumed guilty with zero proof. That is the main reason why people get upset. The airport is already stressful as it is, that pushes people over the line.

Nice try, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
 
9,834 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Reputation: 33998
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Doubtful, considering these things happened prior to being a smartass. I am a yes sir, no sir kind of person. It hasn't happened often, but, when it does, it doesn't feel good to be presumed guilty with zero proof. That is the main reason why people get upset. The airport is already stressful as it is, that pushes people over the line.

Nice try, though!
Well, there's got to be some other reason why it's never happened to me, yet seems to have happened to you a number of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,665 posts, read 6,493,894 times
Reputation: 4171
I've read that being a younger male traveling alone, frequently on one ways can have an effect. The times I have been singled out have been in small airports. Most of them were in Florence, which their airport is seemingly notorious for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2017, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,531 posts, read 8,781,496 times
Reputation: 12233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Which basically means they want to deter those travelers from flying with them aka they don't trust them

Cuz all jews are good & everyone else is bad... mmmhmm yup

I wouldnt fly with them again because of that.

Is real faces terror bombers from many directions. Their counter-terrorism unit and Mosad in general is the best intelligence agency in the world. Who knows how many plots they have foiled. Unlike TSA, they do everything for a good reason to protect their country, agree with them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,531 posts, read 8,781,496 times
Reputation: 12233
For those of you with EU citizenship. Under a relatively new directive from the EC, all passengers including you, are required to have their passports scanned when entering and leaving any country in the Schengen Zone. Some countries - Denmark, for example - do not do this since the mandatory implementation date is 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM
 
14,188 posts, read 6,444,866 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with that last part.

I can be a bit of a smartass, sure, but, I am super pleasant and personable to everyone I come into contact with, including TSA, as, again, they are doing their jobs.

My problem is the way they treat you like you are guilty and seemingly talk down to you.. Its the "power trip" mentality of some of them (note: just some, not all). If I did something wrong, or packed something I can't bring, then it's my fault and it should be handled accordingly. However, taking every thing you have in your bag and swabbing it while lecturing me and asking the same questions over and over again.. that's what I have a problem with. I have not only experienced it myself, but, with other people as well.
Hmm, I haven't had that experience. I have to go to the airport frequently for work which means I have to go thru security numerous times throughout the week. So far I only got pulled aside once for the full intimate pat down & swabbing of my work bag & whatever is inside of it. Sure, my first thought was oh crap, what do I have in there? But whatever, I just went thru the process. Took about 45 minutes I guess but I always say, paid by the hour. One of the agents even said that I was the chillest person he's encountered. I just shrugged & said hey, you're only doing your job. You know what is irritating? Those people who try to bring in their drinks....that holds up the line. And the people who take forever to put their stuff on the conveyer. Just toss it on & step thru the scanner already! Those are the ones the agents aren't fond of, nor are the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 12:14 PM
 
9,528 posts, read 13,470,635 times
Reputation: 5713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Is real faces terror bombers from many directions. Their counter-terrorism unit and Mosad in general is the best intelligence agency in the world. Who knows how many plots they have foiled. Unlike TSA, they do everything for a good reason to protect their country, agree with them or not.

Yes but jews can be terrorists too... they hold non-jews to different standards than everyone else. Israel is in a vulnerable spot but everyone who flies there should be treated equally, jewish or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 PM
 
619 posts, read 367,054 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
NEVER had any problems with TSA at any airport. Period.

I treat them with respect and I get treated with respect.

If you are consistently having problems with TSA, it might be your attitude.
I agree.

There are rules that *those guys * have to follow. *our* safety relies on them following the rules. Are the rules always logical? Nope. But if they're going to start making exceptions for one person, then lines and delays will be even worse than they are today.

I, for one, prefer that they treat everyone like a potential bomber, if that will keep me safe. And yes, for years *I*was singled out, pulled aside, interrogated, and patted down. Is this the best system? Probably not. Is it working? For the most part. Let's stop ragging on the TSA teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2017, 10:31 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,968 posts, read 2,905,907 times
Reputation: 11417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
they hold non-jews to different standards than everyone else.
You are either a jew or not a jew, so how could you possibly have insight into both standards that people are being held to at the airport?

Again, I'm a non-jew and never had a problem at border control checkpoints in Israel. They never asked me anything related to my religious heritage. You might be taking your own personal experience and making a lot of assumptions about everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top