U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 AM

4,486 posts, read 3,319,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know what is irritating? Those people who try to bring in their drinks....that holds up the line. And the people who take forever to put their stuff on the conveyer. Just toss it on & step thru the scanner already! Those are the ones the agents aren't fond of, nor are the rest of us.
Most people fly only very occasionally. This is something I have to remind myself of in my own work, so I'm sure it gets exasperating for TSA agents, but...yes, a zillion other people have asked the same question, or made the same mistake, but for that individual person, it's their first time asking the question or making the mistake. It's not fair for me to to take my frustration at getting the same goofiness over and over again out on some hapless individual who just happened to be the hundredth person to screw up. In fact, if it's happening over and over again with different people, then I probably need to change my own procedures or approach to mitigate the situation, since clearly there's some disconnect happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You are either a jew or not a jew, so how could you possibly have insight into both standards that people are being held to at the airport?

Again, I'm a non-jew and never had a problem at border control checkpoints in Israel. They never asked me anything related to my religious heritage. You might be taking your own personal experience and making a lot of assumptions about everyone else.
I know from what others have told me and what I witnessed standing online with others from my birthright group who I knew were jewish & seeing how they were treated vs how the non-jews were. It's not rocket science.

Perhaps it is different if you go independently but if you go through birthright it is this way for most people.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 PM

285 posts, read 296,331 times
People who don't gather their belongings and move away from the conveyor belt immediately should be fined or forced to undergo further screening.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Three years ago I broke an ankle (3 days before I needed to fly to see my terminally ill FIL) and had one of those hard plastic foot brace/cast things and strict orders not to take it off for anything but showering.

I got to my local small airport several hours in advance and they were extremely polite and helpful. Because of the hard plastic and metal in the cast, they mentioned that the simplest thing was to go through the body scanner, as it would go right through the cast, BUT I need to be able to put hands on the two spots and balance on my own. They actually had to help me with the balance thing twice before I could do it on my own. I was through in less than 15 minutes and then had far too much time on my hands...

DEN coming back was a different story, they made me take the cast/brace off and yelled at my husband for trying to help me as I hopped on one foot. And that was even using the airport's special services with a wheelchair and the whole bit. I mentioned what they told me at my own airport about the scanner and they said "that's not protocol here" - and I think that is what so annoys people, that the rules and procedures seem to change between place and for pretty much no good reason.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I
Perhaps it is different if you go independently but if you go through birthright it is this way for most people.
Then why do you keep making these broad sweeping statements about how everyone is treated by Israel at the airport?

Old 07-22-2017, 01:50 PM

244 posts, read 229,411 times
My main issue with TSA is the way they speak to people sometimes. Not everyone flies all the time and the regulations change all the time. Just recently I was flying through Nashville and the TSA agent was berating an elderly woman about a bottle of shampoo that was technically travel size, but above the limit.

The woman was in a wheelchair, and the TSA agent, mid 40s, and probably 300 lbs was leaning over here, and YELLING in her face. Chill out dude.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:40 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,020,043 times
As an experienced traveler I know the drill, never debate, joke, or ask questions. That's likely to make less eventful.

Most of my travel is west coast and solo, lots of different airports, can't speak for Mid or East Coast. Never had a rude TSA agent, some are more pleasant than others.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM

337 posts, read 176,873 times
Offhand, I don't think I ever really had an experience that was really bad. At LAX once the guy saw my Dermalogica Exfoliator and said it was above the 3.4 ounce rule. I told him it was a powder like flour and not a liquid or gel. I taught him what an exfoliator was because he had no idea. At KOA in Kona, they conficated the largest banana that I had ever seen in my life. I was going to eat in on the plane for my snack so it wouldn't end up on the mainland.

Best by far was the airport in Anchorage. TSA there didn't make anyone remove their shoes, take laptops out, or any of the other things other airports have you do. Maybe it was just the 1 time I was there though this past June.

Worst (outside the US) for me was at CDG in Paris. The guy there basically made me empty all my toiltres out and looked at them one by one. I had a small thing of yogurt with me that was under 3.4 ounces. He said I couldn't take it. I said okay and that I would just dump it in an empty 3.4 plastic bottle thingie I had. He let me go and just keep the yogurt in the container. The other was at the airport in Montreal. It may have been immigration though. I was selected to go to the room where they take you in the back and make you empty out your checked in suitcase and interrogate you. No idea why I was chosen aside from maybe it being that it was a one way ticket and that I was flying solo.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM

672 posts, read 707,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
99% of my interactions with the TSA have been courteous and professional. In the summer of 2008, we were driving back from Vancouver, BC to Seattle via the Blaine checkpoint (about a 90 minute wait and a long line of cars).

An obnoxious, arrogant TSA agent interrogated us. His surly attitude told me he was unhappy about working that day, for whatever reason. I'll never forget his cocky, idiotic attitude. I should have taken his badge number and reported him, as the TSA website assures all travelers of an experience with "dignity and respect".

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...s-disabilities
Are you confusing the TSA with the CBP? CBP would be the agency you interact with at a land crossing,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or