Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times

Advertisements

I've only flown commercially once since 9-11, round trip from LAX to JFK. I just show them my badge and ID, pat my 3 o'clock position to indicate I'm armed, and go right on through TSA security with no hassles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:35 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
I have had a bad experience at Tampa TPA when this tsa thing first started with the body scanners. The guy attending me appeared like he was wired up, red eyed, talking quick and slick. I tried to opt out, he asked me if I want to go to the back for a pat down, I told him no, it is fine right here. I went thru machine, un willingly, and still was required to be patted down. I told them, wtf! I also told them I refuse to be handled by the wide eyed jerk. I was actually threatened to be conveniently made late for my flight. My wife laid into them, as she pulled out 40 + pages of TSA information from their website, demanding to go through each page one by one. Was not an OK experience.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:25 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
I can tell you spouse's most unpleasant experience, although I bet the TSA employee wasn't too happy, either. This was at SEATAC, flying to San Diego.

Spouse had knee replacement surgery in early 2005, so this would have been just a few months prior. This was before all the scanners, etc. So, spouse set off the metal detector because of the brace he had to wear to steady his crippled knee, which had deteriorated to the point of deformity. We explained this, & the TSA patted down his leg & felt the brace under his jeans. But they still insisted that he go behind a privacy screen & drop his pants, with the TSA agent crouched in front of him...except that my husband goes commando, so...

Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Going thru TSA is simply part of the deal of you want to fly. I take no notice of it, and can't say I've ever had an experience that I remember, good or bad.

I do find it fascinating that the OP has kept such meticulous notes on this topic.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Going thru TSA is simply part of the deal of you want to fly. I take no notice of it, and can't say I've ever had an experience that I remember, good or bad.

I do find it fascinating that the OP has kept such meticulous notes on this topic.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
99% of my interactions with the TSA have been courteous and professional. In the summer of 2008, we were driving back from Vancouver, BC to Seattle via the Blaine checkpoint (about a 90 minute wait and a long line of cars).

An obnoxious, arrogant TSA agent interrogated us. His surly attitude told me he was unhappy about working that day, for whatever reason. I'll never forget his cocky, idiotic attitude. I should have taken his badge number and reported him, as the TSA website assures all travelers of an experience with "dignity and respect".

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...s-disabilities

Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I can tell you spouse's most unpleasant experience, although I bet the TSA employee wasn't too happy, either. This was at SEATAC, flying to San Diego.

Spouse had knee replacement surgery in early 2005, so this would have been just a few months prior. This was before all the scanners, etc. So, spouse set off the metal detector because of the brace he had to wear to steady his crippled knee, which had deteriorated to the point of deformity. We explained this, & the TSA patted down his leg & felt the brace under his jeans. But they still insisted that he go behind a privacy screen & drop his pants, with the TSA agent crouched in front of him...except that my husband goes commando, so...
That's funny

Old 07-04-2017, 12:09 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

I can't stand TSA. Have had numerous encounters like this. Maybe I should go commando

Old 07-04-2017, 12:28 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
No problems with TSA, or other passenger screening in other countries, whatever they call their airport screeners.

It's part of flying. Everything about flying is miserable. Endure and get through it.

But TSA has always been very patient, even though so many members of the general public can't follow simple directions. There are signs as you enter the line telling you what to do and signs all along the line, telling you what to do, and even sometimes there is an agent standing by the last bend, telling you what to do, and still people arrive at the checkpoint with their jacket on, their computer still in their suitcase, and their toiletries scattered all over the place and not bagged, even though the baggies are provided.

I find that if an agent is grumpy that I remain polite, follow directions and I get passed through. It is the smartasses who have problems. Don't mouth off to the agent, especially if he looks tired.

With apologies, I am guilty of slowing the lines a couple of times. Traveling with a 6 week old Bracco puppy and twice every agent had to stop work for a few seconds to come and cuddle the puppy.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:40 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Last time in SFO it took soo long to get thru TSA. I was coming from a domestic flight (DL) and hat to change to the international terminal, which means leaving the security area, taking the train and go thru TSA again.

All the negative points:
- Queues were extremely long and agents extremely unfriendly. They shouted at us that "there is no priority or business class lane at this hour" while in the most busy peak time with most international flight leaving only half of the lanes were opened. They did not apologize for this inconvenience, just shouted around and sorted people to go left and right with both extremely long queues. That's exactly what I need after achieving DL platinum and stuff like that.

- For around 25 min it did not proceed at all. They did not say why, just later we found out that they were waiting for some dogs to run around the queue infront of the screening.

- In front of one scanner, they pushed one old lady out of her wheelchair when trying to move her aside. She was lying on the floor then, while like 10 agents standing around her doing nothing. All other people queueing behind that "incident" were moved to another lane and did not have to put off their shoes. Somehow they just want to get rid of the watching crowds after their mistake.

- Due to all those three things it took like an hour to get thru security, all the time is stolen from my time in the lounge with some beer and snacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel