Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times

Advertisements

I nominate Israel.

Maybe it's because I'm not a religious man but the main sites aren't very interesting especially since being from a secular viewpoint much of it is mythology. There is some interesting history around Israeli independence and the many wars but those don't really have sites all you can do is roll through museums with pictures that you can see anywhere else. Well I guess there is that one museum with military hardware, but going through a mosh pit to get to something like Western Wall it's like come on man. The best part of the old city is that one falafel joint Abu Shukri, with a nod to the occasional religious group that sits down and sings near Golgotha .

The cost though, ridiculous. Worse than New York City or Tokyo in a way because at least one can find cheaper grocery and hole-in-the-wall eateries. In Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, or Eilat you can drop USD $7 on a damn shawarma or bagel. No escaping by hitting the grocery store to cook in your airbnb because a noodle bowl is USD $4. Forget trying to go cheap at fast food chains, a combo meal at McDonalds in Jerusalem is USD $12-$13, that is nuts. Alcohol = forget it.

Very underwhelming sites, very high cost, and a several neighbors (hello Jordan and Egypt) that have way better stuff to see, friendlier people, and much less damage to the wallet. Actually Jordan can be just as damaging if you want a beer, but at least a local meal at one of those places with the sheep carcass hanging in the window can be had at US $5 for two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Acknowledging that what is a high price is subjective, I don't think I've yet to find such a place. I've found deals in everywhere I've been (for countries, I've traveled to China, Turkey, France, Norway, UK, Canada, Australia, India, South Korea, and live in and have traveled extensively throughout the USA). Whether I want to make a return transit to a particular destination has less to deal with price (as I generally find deals or else I wouldn't have gone to begin with) and more to do with whether I enjoyed or think I'd enjoy myself at a destination. By enjoy, I'm thinking of everything from cuisine to amenities to people to the wider culture.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:57 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,864 times
I feel with any city, you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you can. In Japan, I had low end meals that were like 3 or 4 bucks and really delicious. High end I spent $350 on steak dinner for my wife and I. Depends on what you make of it really.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I nominate Israel.

Maybe it's because I'm not a religious man but the main sites aren't very interesting especially since being from a secular viewpoint much of it is mythology. There is some interesting history around Israeli independence and the many wars but those don't really have sites all you can do is roll through museums with pictures that you can see anywhere else. Well I guess there is that one museum with military hardware, but going through a mosh pit to get to something like Western Wall it's like come on man. The best part of the old city is that one falafel joint Abu Shukri, with a nod to the occasional religious group that sits down and sings near Golgotha .

The cost though, ridiculous. Worse than New York City or Tokyo in a way because at least one can find cheaper grocery and hole-in-the-wall eateries. In Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, or Eilat you can drop USD $7 on a damn shawarma or bagel. No escaping by hitting the grocery store to cook in your airbnb because a noodle bowl is USD $4. Forget trying to go cheap at fast food chains, a combo meal at McDonalds in Jerusalem is USD $12-$13, that is nuts. Alcohol = forget it.

Very underwhelming sites, very high cost, and a several neighbors (hello Jordan and Egypt) that have way better stuff to see, friendlier people, and much less damage to the wallet. Actually Jordan can be just as damaging if you want a beer, but at least a local meal at one of those places with the sheep carcass hanging in the window can be had at US $5 for two.
Although Israel is expensive even for Israelis, you are the first person I have heard complaining that the locals were unfriendly and it is worth seeing the various holy sites whether they be Jewish or Christian ones. I doubt that there is more to see in Jordan but I agree that Egypt definitely has a lot to offer a tourist.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
We thought Bermuda was expensive for the experience. I guess formality costs, but we're happier on more relaxed islands.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I nominate Israel.

First of all why did you go to Israel if it wasn't religion related?? That is the primary reason for tourists to go there. Next, if you're going to compare food prices to places like NYC then you have to use a level playing field of comparing Kosher food to Kosher food.

Sample NYC menu:
Cafe Menu | King Solomon Restaurant

Whether you are in NYC or pretty much anywhere in the US, these are going to be the prices for prepared Kosher or Hallel food.

You're comparing Israel to Egypt and Jordan who for the most part are third world poor countries. Their food prices are pretty low, but if you saw the cleanliness of their kitchens one would become a vegetarian very quickly. If one looks up Egypt, they would see the amount of food riots they have over the price of bread (currently around 35 cents for a 1 pound loaf).

As to sites to go to in Israel, there is plenty to do in Israel (and it's a pretty much short distance between them). Yes the cost is high, but keep in mind that part of that price is high security (more of what you can't see than you can see), the costs of upkeep of those sites and the payroll associates with those sites.

As to Egypt once you've done the Egyptian Museum of Tahrir Square and Giza, the tourist stuff is pretty much over. As to Jordan once you've done Petra, Jerash, Aqaba, Madaba, and Ajloun it's pretty much over. Past that is it's a whole lot of open sand as Egypt is pretty much concentrated to Cairo and Jordan is pretty much concentrated to Amman.

I've traveled to all three. Outside of the touristy stuff, Israel has the most to do. For Egypt, one visit is enough and the same goes for Jordan.

As a side note: I work in UAE, so I do spend a lot of time in the region. When I want a quiet rest without crowds I head to the Ma'In Hot Springs in Jordan.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Cost of living link:
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2017 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:41 PM

14,377 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
First of all why did you go to Israel if it wasn't religion related?? That is the primary reason for tourists to go there. Next, if you're going to compare food prices to places like NYC then you have to use a level playing field of comparing Kosher food to Kosher food.

Sample NYC menu:
Cafe Menu | King Solomon Restaurant

Whether you are in NYC or pretty much anywhere in the US, these are going to be the prices for prepared Kosher or Hallel food.

You're comparing Israel to Egypt and Jordan who for the most part are third world poor countries. Their food prices are pretty low, but if you saw the cleanliness of their kitchens one would become a vegetarian very quickly. If one looks up Egypt, they would see the amount of food riots they have over the price of bread (currently around 35 cents for a 1 pound loaf).

As to sites to go to in Israel, there is plenty to do in Israel (and it's a pretty much short distance between them). Yes the cost is high, but keep in mind that part of that price is high security (more of what you can't see than you can see), the costs of upkeep of those sites and the payroll associates with those sites.

As to Egypt once you've done the Egyptian Museum of Tahrir Square and Giza, the tourist stuff is pretty much over. As to Jordan once you've done Petra, Jerash, Aqaba, Madaba, and Ajloun it's pretty much over. Past that is it's a whole lot of open sand as Egypt is pretty much concentrated to Cairo and Jordan is pretty much concentrated to Amman.

I've traveled to all three. Outside of the touristy stuff, Israel has the most to do. For Egypt, one visit is enough and the same goes for Jordan.

As a side note: I work in UAE, so I do spend a lot of time in the region. When I want a quiet rest without crowds I head to the Ma'In Hot Springs in Jordan.
I have never been to Israel and I am not particularly religious.

However, visiting Israel does interest me. WOW Airlines has recently started flying to Tel Aviv and they have a particularly low airfare in the autumn of 2017 and early 2018.

I am interested in the following things:

1. Tel Aviv sounds like a very interesting city and the beach walk particularly looks just wonderful to me.

2. I am something of a hiking fanatic and I would like to see if I could hike up Masada.

3. I would like to float in the Dead Sea.

4. I would like to visit an actual working Kibbutz.

5. I would like to walk through the old section of Jerusalem. It has less religious value to me than it does historical value. I have always been impressed by way the Dome of the Rock Mosque stands out in the Jerusalem skyline and I would hope for some good pictures.

6. I think I might be interested in some of the early Roman sites that remain in the country.

I didn't realize Israel was so expensive though. I am going to have to check that out.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM

fwiw: WOW Airlines was one way. The return trip is full fare. Compare the entire round trip fares and availabilities and it's not that great of a fare. If you're flying out of the US use Delta.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although Israel is expensive even for Israelis, you are the first person I have heard complaining that the locals were unfriendly
I didn't say they were unfriendly, I said the neighboring countries are much friendlier. Go stand on a street corner looking confused in Jordan, you'll get people asking where you're trying to go even sending someone to go find an English speaker. The first word out of their mouth is almost always "welcome!" and you get more invitations from strangers to come sit for some tea than can possibly drink. People in Israel (and most western countries) aren't anywhere near as friendly, welcoming, or helpful to a traveler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I doubt that there is more to see in Jordan
Petra, Jerash, Wadi Rum, Ajoun, Madaba, etc. I've been to a lot of countries and seen a lot of stuff, for me Jordan ranks near the top for things with wow factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel