U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 PM
 
239 posts, read 129,398 times
Reputation: 437

Advertisements

Most hostels have not only shared bathrooms, but even shared bedrooms sometimes. I stayed at one in London when I was in my 20's and broke, I think there may have been 6 sets of bunkbeds in the room so 12 people, coed. Toilets down the hall, and little shower rooms that thankfully were separated from each other. But, it was fine for me at the time, I was traveling alone and it cost me 10 GBP a night. Would I do that now in my 40's and traveling with my SO? Hell no! We have stayed at airbnbs, but ONLY if we have our own bathroom, a private bedroom goes without saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's a hotel. A hostel might have a private room, but they almost always have common bathrooms.

Your fiance is used to being poor, and will likely always go for the cheaper side of things. On the opposite side of the spectrum, you were raised rich, so you're used to things being nice.

Nothing wrong with either one, but finances are the number one thing couples divorce over. I'm afraid this might be something y'all need to get out in the open right away before you marry.
I didn't ask for marriage advice, but thanks. This a recent development b/c he got tired of spending what we've spent on hotels and doesn't want to do it anymore.


We will have to compromise somewhere. I am open to a hostel if it has all my requirements & also hot water.


Am I being unreasonable to want my own private room & bathroom with hot water and a/c? Cuz I don't think so.


We'll have to find a middle ground.


Do hostels with what I want exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Reputation: 23693
Often Hostels have a Private room option, and a family room (2 bunkbeds). It is usually about 2x the price of dorm room (example $50 vs $25).

All have had hot water (sometimes you have to heat it yourself, and in some countries hot water is 'switched' on demand and only when needed. (farm / rural homes in Ireland comes to mind...))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:03 PM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Reputation: 41122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Am I being unreasonable to want my own private room & bathroom with hot water and a/c? Cuz I don't think so.
It isn't unreasonable from my viewpoint, but I doubt you'll find a hostel with those requirements. They almost always have common bathrooms and don't always have HVAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,238 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Reputation: 12994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But I feel like... we're in our mid-30's, we make over $200k as a couple, why would someone our age and with our income need to stay in hostels?
I don't know either. Why would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:35 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 2,316,319 times
Reputation: 6168
Many seem to be describing "youth hostels" here. There are others that are just great. I always stay at my favorite hostel in Madrid, "Hostal Angelines". Wonderful, gracious hostess, SAFE, modern, COMFORTABLE, CLEAN, QUIET, INEXPENSIVE. When it is full, I go to her sister's hostel. (a bit old-fashioned and 'fussy', but good enough, safe, clean, comfortable. I'm there to see the country, not the hotel/hostel. I don't even consider another place in Madrid unless these two are unavailable.

Hostal Angelines - Madrid (Moncloa-Arguelles)

I have stayed at other not so comfortable, safe-feeling hostels in Barcelona. I think one was Hostal Goya. Yikes. Nice people, but the building was under renovation and just not right, not safe structurally. But I needed a place to stay, could have stayed at a hotel, but didn't want the extra expense that I preferred to use on more travel. I've also stayed at various hotels and they are fine, especially if I don't know an area well. It all depends on the circumstances of the traveler - budget, expediency, comfort levels.

OP, maybe your wife has fond memories of youth hostels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 2,316,319 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It isn't unreasonable from my viewpoint, but I doubt you'll find a hostel with those requirements. They almost always have common bathrooms and don't always have HVAC.
There are some very VERY nice hostels. I think 'youth hostels' are the ones with the poor accommodations and poor reputations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 2,316,319 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I didn't ask for marriage advice, but thanks. This a recent development b/c he got tired of spending what we've spent on hotels and doesn't want to do it anymore.


We will have to compromise somewhere. I am open to a hostel if it has all my requirements & also hot water.


Am I being unreasonable to want my own private room & bathroom with hot water and a/c? Cuz I don't think so.


We'll have to find a middle ground.


Do hostels with what I want exist?
Where are you traveling?

What you want DOES, indeed, exist. Your requirements are completely reasonable. If you cannot find a hostel that suits your needs, you shouldn't compromise. Not worth your inconvenience, not worth risking your safety and comfort. After all, aren't you on vacation? Eliminate all the stresses you can as traveling in and of itself is taxing nowadays. See my previous post re: what a 'good' hostel can be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:51 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Many seem to be describing "youth hostels" here. There are others that are just great. I always stay at my favorite hostel in Madrid, "Hostal Angelines". Wonderful, gracious hostess, SAFE, modern, COMFORTABLE, CLEAN, QUIET, INEXPENSIVE. When it is full, I go to her sister's hostel. (a bit old-fashioned and 'fussy', but good enough, safe, clean, comfortable. I'm there to see the country, not the hotel/hostel. I don't even consider another place in Madrid unless these two are unavailable.

Hostal Angelines - Madrid (Moncloa-Arguelles)

I have stayed at other not so comfortable, safe-feeling hostels in Barcelona. I think one was Hostal Goya. Yikes. Nice people, but the building was under renovation and just not right, not safe structurally. But I needed a place to stay, could have stayed at a hotel, but didn't want the extra expense that I preferred to use on more travel. I've also stayed at various hotels and they are fine, especially if I don't know an area well. It all depends on the circumstances of the traveler - budget, expediency, comfort levels.

OP, maybe your wife has fond memories of youth hostels?
I am the wife lol


No. It is purely from a money-saving perspective on his end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Where are you traveling?

What you want DOES, indeed, exist. Your requirements are completely reasonable. If you cannot find a hostel that suits your needs, you shouldn't compromise. Not worth your inconvenience, not worth risking your safety and comfort. After all, aren't you on vacation? Eliminate all the stresses you can as traveling in and of itself is taxing nowadays. See my previous post re: what a 'good' hostel can be like.
If there are hostels like that that do exist for cheap then I am fine with it.


'Youth hostels' are I guess what I am thinking hostels are and that is what I DON'T want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top