U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I also understand not all hotels are nice just as not all hostels are crappy... it's just that I like chain hotels b/c I know what I'm getting. I don't need to read reviews about Hiltons, Marriots, Sheratons... I know what they are like... and I almost always enjoy my stays @ them.
Slightly OT, but you could start using hotel-branded credit cards to earn hotel points that you could then use to reduce your lodging costs at your favorite chain hotels. It won't save you a fortune, but very little bit counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,318,235 times
Quote:
I am the wife lol

No. It is purely from a money-saving perspective on his end.
Oops! Sorry, I guess I missed the reference. Well, if you can both compromise - you finding an acceptable hostel - then the savings should go to things YOU would like to do on the vacation!

Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Many seem to be describing "youth hostels" here. There are others that are just great. I always stay at my favorite hostel in Madrid, "Hostal Angelines". Wonderful, gracious hostess, SAFE, modern, COMFORTABLE, CLEAN, QUIET, INEXPENSIVE. When it is full, I go to her sister's hostel. (a bit old-fashioned and 'fussy', but good enough, safe, clean, comfortable. I'm there to see the country, not the hotel/hostel. I don't even consider another place in Madrid unless these two are unavailable.

Hostal Angelines - Madrid (Moncloa-Arguelles)

I have stayed at other not so comfortable, safe-feeling hostels in Barcelona. I think one was Hostal Goya. Yikes. Nice people, but the building was under renovation and just not right, not safe structurally. But I needed a place to stay, could have stayed at a hotel, but didn't want the extra expense that I preferred to use on more travel. I've also stayed at various hotels and they are fine, especially if I don't know an area well. It all depends on the circumstances of the traveler - budget, expediency, comfort levels.

OP, maybe your wife has fond memories of youth hostels?
This site is all in Spanish. It's a good thing I actually know Spanish.

Wow this place looks nice! I'd be down for that

Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,882,289 times
The pros are pretty much covered...
--more social/communal environment
This could lead to excursions or parties otherwise not possible

--cheaper
sometimes, this is no trivial amount

--regular hotels aren't available, and it beats sleeping in your car or nowhere else

--relive college or military barracks days

Old 07-05-2017, 04:44 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,655,140 times
I think you're either a hostel person or you aren't.

My husband is fine camping or staying in marginal places. I want my own bathroom.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
The pros are pretty much covered...
--more social/communal environment
This could lead to excursions or parties otherwise not possible

--cheaper
sometimes, this is no trivial amount

--regular hotels aren't available, and it beats sleeping in your car or nowhere else

--relive college or military barracks days
Have no desire to party or relive college days. Beyond past that.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think you're either a hostel person or you aren't.

My husband is fine camping or staying in marginal places. I want my own bathroom.
I'll admit i can be a lil high maintenance @ times but i do know if im traveling to a 2nd or 3rd world country to not expect the same standards as at home but for the most part chains like Mariott, Hilton, Sheraton dont change that much. If the city has those chains, it's generally comparable to here.

If not, i try to look for a hotel that is a little more on the high end. Even in places like Bangkok, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Managua had chain hotels.

I am definitely not a hostel person. Some people dont need certain things. I as a woman want my own bathroom and as a couple I def want my own room.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
I don't need my own bathroom and am a little confused that for so many people it is an absolute requirement. Do you not use public toilets in stores, restaurants, museums?

I do prefer my own room and especially so if traveling as a couple but it is not an absolute deal breaker for a night here and there.

I like hostels for the camaraderie, cooking spaces, and the hosts can help with local travel advice. But I'll mix it up, maybe 2/3 guest houses, 1/3 hostels.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't need my own bathroom and am a little confused that for so many people it is an absolute requirement. Do you not use public toilets in stores, restaurants, museums?

I do prefer my own room and especially so if traveling as a couple but it is not an absolute deal breaker for a night here and there.

I like hostels for the camaraderie, cooking spaces, and the hosts can help with local travel advice. But I'll mix it up, maybe 2/3 guest houses, 1/3 hostels.
I obv do use public toilets but when i am on vacation with my fiance I would like private time with him. I want to be able to use a shower without having to wear shower thongs or wait for someone to be with it so I can shower and I want to be able to sit down & shave my legs. Hotels keep showers pretty clean. Also admittedly my man & I sometimes like to shower together too.

Privacy is important when you are a couple. We arent vacationing together to cater around other people's schedules.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,318,235 times
Quote:
This site is all in Spanish. It's a good thing I actually know Spanish.

Wow this place looks nice! I'd be down for that
Yes, it is nice, immaculate and the bathroom is NOT communal. It is a hotel room. Just no hotel 'services' like coffee/room service/pool etc. amenities.

Check for similar wherever you are planning to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel