U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times

Advertisements

Geez, I can't believe some of the comments and gripes in this thread. Makes me wonder if these people with peeves and complaints ever actually travel anyplace.

All I know is that I hope to never travel with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM

9,075 posts, read 9,507,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Geez, I can't believe some of the comments and gripes in this thread. Makes me wonder if these people with peeves and complaints ever actually travel anyplace.

I have the list of pet peeves I do because I DO travel! The list gets longer the more I do it, too

Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM

3,182 posts, read 1,959,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I visited Rome with my then 2 year old daughter and 2 senior citizens (my mother and mother in law), and it was incredibly annoying to have gypsies sitting at the steps of every church that we wanted to enter, and men selling selfie sticks and other junk and approaching us in every single piazza. One of the reasons we much prefer to visit small towns/villages versus big cities is that this is rarely an issue outside of big cities.

Yes, I like visiting sleepy out of the way places. Sure, if one goes to Italy they have to visit Rome, but keep it short and hold the wallet close. We spent a very relaxing week in Umbria a few years ago. There are interesting towns all around without the headaches...

Tour Umbria - Tours in Italy

(to be clear, we didn't use that company but it's a good summary of the area)

Old 07-17-2017, 05:18 PM

3,182 posts, read 1,959,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Everything about flying is miserable, so I just patiently get through it.

Yup. My expectation is pretty low for flying. Just want to get from point A to B without sitting on the plane any longer than I have to. I check a bag, put the important stuff in a small bag to throw under the seat, and wait until the end of boarding to get on. I don't schedule any tight connections, and try hard to get the least number of segments possible.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:45 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,435,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yup. My expectation is pretty low for flying. Just want to get from point A to B without sitting on the plane any longer than I have to. I check a bag, put the important stuff in a small bag to throw under the seat, and wait until the end of boarding to get on. I don't schedule any tight connections, and try hard to get the least number of segments possible.
Absolutely. Low expectations is the key!

I load up my iPod with some good tunes and podcasts (especially) and have spare batteries for my noise cancelling headphones. Make sure I take a whiz before buckling up and then just moss out.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 PM

815 posts, read 462,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Um.....why did you click on a thread entitled "Travel Pet Peeves" if you didn't want to hear about other people's Travel pet peeves?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 PM

618 posts, read 267,020 times
Some of my peeves are:

-additional "hidden fees" especially with hotels
-TSA Agents getting close and "personal"
-people complaining about long lines. They should already
be aware of long lines.
-the know it all tourist that won't let the tour guide finish
the narrative before saying this or that..
-people begging for change, when they have better clothes
than you. Even ask for a cigarette.
-when people see that you're waiting to take a photo and
they intentionally stand in your way. I learned to get
rude, quick.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 AM

9,075 posts, read 9,507,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
Some of my peeves are:

-additional "hidden fees" especially with hotels
-TSA Agents getting close and "personal"
-people complaining about long lines. They should already
be aware of long lines.
-the know it all tourist that won't let the tour guide finish
the narrative before saying this or that..

-people begging for change, when they have better clothes
than you. Even ask for a cigarette.
-when people see that you're waiting to take a photo and
they intentionally stand in your way. I learned to get
rude, quick.
I don't have an issue with TSA agents, I know they are just doing their job. And a thankless job it is! I try to be as cooperative as I can because I have see what they have to deal with.

As for the second bolded point...UGH!

We were recently in Sydney and were taking a ferry to Toronga Zoo, which is across the harbor from the opera house. The ferry stopped at a couple of other places along the way and during the ride a woman was trying to talk about points of interest along the way. A family of 4 adults and a bunch of kids were talking so loudly, we could not hear a thing she was saying. She even said at one point "This ferry ride is also a sightseeing tour from some of our guests, so if you could please keep your voices down so they could hear it would be appreciated." Did they quiet down? NOPE. Yakkity Yakkity *** the whole way, as if it is impossible to just not speak for 15 minutes or so!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't have an issue with TSA agents, I know they are just doing their job. And a thankless job it is! I try to be as cooperative as I can because I have see what they have to deal with.

As for the second bolded point...UGH!

We were recently in Sydney and were taking a ferry to Toronga Zoo, which is across the harbor from the opera house. The ferry stopped at a couple of other places along the way and during the ride a woman was trying to talk about points of interest along the way. A family of 4 adults and a bunch of kids were talking so loudly, we could not hear a thing she was saying. She even said at one point "This ferry ride is also a sightseeing tour from some of our guests, so if you could please keep your voices down so they could hear it would be appreciated." Did they quiet down? NOPE. Yakkity Yakkity *** the whole way, as if it is impossible to just not speak for 15 minutes or so!
No doubt that ferry family are the same folks that won't shut up at the movie theater, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Um.....why did you click on a thread entitled "Travel Pet Peeves" if you didn't want to hear about other people's Travel pet peeves?
Fair question. I guess because the little, petty crap that people get wound up over never ceases to amaze me. I can't even imagine how these people deal with a true tragedy.

And I'd bet that after they do, theyes might have a different outlook on what is something to get worked up about. Yes, I speak from experience.

By the way, I wonder how many of the people who posted so many pet peeves are saying what a bit bee-ach Anne Coulter is with her tweets about her seat assignment change.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM

1,089 posts, read 490,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was referring to someone who just threw their jacket in the bin, taking up its own space. Yes, if it was on top of their own suitcase (and taking up the same space), that's fine.
I almost more amused than annoyed by the jackets laid out in the overhead bin. Does the person really think that it's going to stay there untouched, taking up the width of 2-3 suitcases? LOL. I'll move a jacket out of the way no problem if I need to to put a suitcase in the overhead bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel