U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:01 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times

Advertisements

Fellow plane passengers who litter... I flew back from a vacation on a budget airline, and the couple in front of me were about 60 years old, neatly dressed in designer duds, and they tossed garbage on the floor all around them and under their seats throughout a 6 hour flight. Designer swine?

And... airports that keep their perks a well-hidden secret. They might have special lounges for overnight travellers who need a place to nap... or shower facilities, etc... but they sure don't draw attention to these amenities unless you seek them out or research the airport website, online reviews, etc... annoying. Why not help travellers who have long layovers or flight delays/cancellations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 1,847,687 times
The state of the airline business (i.e., not catering to customers) - Airline travel used to be fun and luxurious . . . now its dirty/filthy/crammed/miserable/uncomfortable/nasty

Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM

815 posts, read 462,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

By the way, I wonder how many of the people who posted so many pet peeves are saying what a bit bee-ach Anne Coulter is with her tweets about her seat assignment change.
That woman just screams "attention wh**e" I'm guessing this is going to set off a domino effect of morons who will deliberately become a pain in the a$$ for the airline staff in an attempt to trigger some conflict that makes headlines

Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,030,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The state of the airline business (i.e., not catering to customers) - Airline travel used to be fun and luxurious . . . now its dirty/filthy/crammed/miserable/uncomfortable/nasty
If you feel that way, guess what? You have a choice. Just don't buy plane tickets anymore.

Note that I don't enjoy plane travel. I consider it a means to an end. A requirement if I want to travel to distant and overseas locations. It is what it is, and all the bitching in the world isn't gonna change it. But ultimately, it's your choice.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 1,847,687 times
Um, that's why we have a problem - with that attitude. Airline travel is a business. Businesses are "SUPPOSED" to cater to customers - it's because customers are captive audiences, that this business does not care about them or try to accommodate them in any way.

If there was a smart, new airline, it would CATER to customers and customers would pay for the good service. It's basic business. No airline has figured that out yet and all travelers have to suffer as a result of their collective dumbness.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:24 PM

15,079 posts, read 19,030,481 times
Quote:
Um, that's why we have a problem - with that attitude. Airline travel is a business. Businesses are "SUPPOSED" to cater to customers - it's because customers are captive audiences, that this business does not care about them or try to accommodate them in any way.

If there was a smart, new airline, it would CATER to customers and customers would pay for the good service. It's basic business. No airline has figured that out yet and all travelers have to suffer as a result of their collective dumbness.
Isn't that what business and first class is for? Remember: airlines have zero control or responsibility for TSA or obnoxious passengers.

I agree - airline travel IS a business. If it operates in a pure form of capitalism, the airlines that provide good service at reasonable prices thrive. The lousy one's go down the tube (anybody else remember People's Express?)

Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 PM

5,959 posts, read 2,900,287 times
Quote:
Airline travel is a business. Businesses are "SUPPOSED" to cater to customers - it's because customers are captive audiences, that this business does not care about them or try to accommodate them in any way.
They are accommodating them with price. Look at how many domestic flights there are annually every year in the United States versus 10, 20, and 30 years ago.

The reason is flying is far more affordable so more people can do it, and making the service available to people who previously couldn't afford it is indeed catering to the customer.

Quote:
Ah so all these smart business people with decades in the business just haven't thought of what you cleverly came up with and posted on this message board? Not likely. The airlines that are smart are doing what they are doing, providing minimal service to the highest volume of people.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I find it to be just fine, as others pointed out it's a means to an end. I have no idea why some believe it should be some glamorous experience, in 2017 you fly a plane to get from point A to point B and price/efficiency are major considerations in how you get there.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I find it to be just fine, as others pointed out it's a means to an end. I have no idea why some believe it should be some glamorous experience, in 2017 you fly a plane to get from point A to point B and price/efficiency are major considerations in how you get there.

I don't see a lot of difference other than the planes are a bit more crowded and that there are fewer options available. Flights are MUCH cheaper than they were prior to deregulation.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Agreed. I find all this talk of how unbearably horrible/filthy/rude/etc. flying has become to be more drama-queenage than reality. I used to fly a lot for work and of all those flights I have trouble remembering many bad experiences that stood out, the ones I can usually involve another passenger next to me not the airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel