U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:11 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,543,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's frustrating too being a white person in Asia or South America b/c it's like you are walking ATM and they just flock to you b/c they think you have $$... meanwhile of course not all white people have money... far from it... but in their eyes, we do.
Are you seriously knocking two entire continents?

You are far less likely to be accosted for any reason, let alone money, if you travel to Japan than any other country in the world, including the USA.

Related to that: Japanese and other high-wealth Asian tourists are accosted every bit as much as white people when they travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,543,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Not that it matters, but this was the kind that a person gets when they eat a LOT of garlic over a long period of time. The kind that comes from the gut, not the mouth. The kind that they have so often they can't even smell it on themselves. It's more like a garlic cloud; you smell them before you see them.

It was a short flight (under an hour) and I was exhausted so thankfully I was able to fall asleep and ignore it...with my hand and sweater over my nose and mouth
I agree. It is a thoroughly disgusting and repelling odor, and actually painful to the majority of us who don't eat daily doses of fermented garlic products.

I guarantee you will be in a world of nose hurt if you are seated next to someone who has one of these large appliances at home:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...frigerator.jpg

Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM

255 posts, read 70,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What are your traveling related pet peeves?

1) Cost of domestic airlines in the US. Flights from NYC to Los Angeles, Havana, and Cancun are all about the same price despite the fact that the latter two are in different countries. The tiny flights from NYC to Boston or Philly are like $200, in Europe for the same price you can travel across the entire continent in comparison. NYC-Dallas and NYC-Miami seem to be the only flights where the price seems reasonable for the distance

2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

4) Ratchet passengers on the Greyhound

5) Travel distances in South America. Because of all the mountains and the deserts and the jungles, bus travel is insanely long and tiring. The ride from Buenos Aires to Mendoza is nightmarish and Argentinian air prices mean that bus travel is your only economical option. Peru also has ridiculous distances, buses from Lima to Arequipa take 17 hours, from Lima to Cusco 20 hours, from Lima to Quito 30 hours, from Lima to Santiago 45 hours. In Colombia because of the mountains cities that look like a millimeter away from each other on the map are actually separated by like 8 or 9 hour rides

6) Lack of hostels in the US

7) When people assume that when you travel you just want to be around other tourists. If I travel to Paris I don't want to meet other tourists who are in Paris, I want to meet actual Parisians

8) International border crossings on buses

What do you guys dislike on your travels?
Sloppy, overweight, loud, obnoxious Americans!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
So I'm guessing you're okay with sloppy, overweight, loud, obnoxious Chinese, Australian, Indian, and British folks?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
A travel related one, if not something encountered during travel itself: people who post at travel websites asking for advice who have apparently done none of their own research. Posts like this tend to be along the lines of, “We’re going to Paris in two weeks. What are the must sees? What are great places to eat?” This is often followed with a post from the person saying, “Great suggestions — keep ‘em coming,” or something similar.

A couple things:

—we know nothing about you. What kind of food do you like? What kinds of attractions and activities do you like? It’s pretty much impossible to provide good advice given this. Spending 20 minutes preparing a post listing lots of museums to a person who hates them, for example, is a total waste of everyone’s time. Suggesting good dim sum eateries to someone who hates Chinese food is useless, for another example.

—get your lazy self a guidebook and/or perform an online search. Why should we have to do all your work for you? A far better approach is to do at least some basic research, then prepare a suggested itinerary for comments. Ask if the itinerary is manageable, or if there are other attractions like this you missed — or ask if there’s any other thing you overlooked.

It’s also kind of rude to ask for advice on a forum of this kind, receive good feedback, and then not post a trip report later. Was the advice good? Did you appreciate getting it? Doesn’t have to be posted the minute you get back, and you don’t have to be a splendid writer. It’s actually kind of satisfying to read a trip report from someone you gave advice to. But that’s another issue.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So I'm guessing you're okay with sloppy, overweight, loud, obnoxious Chinese, Australian, Indian, and British folks?
Yeah, these days I finds Yanks to be among the better behaved tourists. Keep me away from Russian, Chinese, & drinking Brits or Germans please.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,256,551 times
I generally love to travel but there are a couple:

General drama queens/drama kings-just seems there are more people who are far more demanding and willing to throw a fit in public or otherwise act out while traveling. I've been on two flights where people engaging in drama caused delays; in one case a 2 hour delay. I understand people getting frustrated when things go wrong during travel but having a meltdown isn't going to improve things; it generally just adds to the misery.

Cattle call boarding: Southwest, I'm looking at you

Kids running wild: I don't expect kids to be silent since they are kids but no excuse for parents who tune out and just let them run wild on the plane, at destinations or in restaurants. I didn't let mine do that and don't expect others to do it. Show some consideration for others and teach your kids some manners!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
Sloppy, overweight, loud, obnoxious Americans!
Gee thanks for reinforcing a long outdated travelers myth! Have you been living under a rock for 20 years? Americans have long been replaced from this classification of "worst tourists" by other nationalities. Your just projecting your own belief that has nothing to do with reality.

Try standing in line for a tourist site with Chinese and you will have a new definition of sloppy, loud, and obnoxious. Throw in a tourist party of Russian to include overweight and drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel