U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM

496 posts, read 521,163 times

Advertisements

So, stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 03:06 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,293,143 times
Clueless airline passengers.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM

7,664 posts, read 8,135,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
What is a "rachet passenger'?
It is a horrible mispronunciation of "wretched" that has caught on.

for the rest of us it is a wrench

Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM

7,664 posts, read 8,135,549 times
I dont travel much so I am a huge novice but when I do it seems like my bag gets searched by TSA every single time. Nothing like getting to the hotel and opening your suitcase and everything is all jacked up and there's a white tag in there talking about "random screening" or whatever verbiage they use.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
When you're waiting to board a flight and there is nowhere to sit because people put their carry on luggage, bag of fast food, magazine, etc. on the chair next to them.

When you want to get off of the plane after a long flight and the people in front of you are blocking the aisle and taking a week to get their carry on and other things together.

When places charge you exorbitant prices for food and beverages simply because you are inside their property and don't have other options. Like paying $12.50 for a hotdog and chips at an amusement park when outside the park it would cost less than $5, or $4.50 for a soft drink that you could buy in a convenience store for $1.79.

When natives judge you based on where you're from and treat you differently. We live in Michigan and usually get very friendly reception in other parts of the country when we travel in our car with Michigan plates, but a few years ago we rented a car to drive to Florida and it had Massachusetts plates. The difference in how we were received and treated in general across the South (except Florida, since half of the people in Florida moved there from the Northeast, it seems) was very discernable, and I mean, Michigan is still a northern state but Southerners must trust Midwesterners more than New Englanders because holy cow, it was really cold in some places!

When a few people hog something like a hotel pool and make it essentially impossible for others to enjoy it. This happened when our kids were little and we actually used hotel pools. It seemed like there were always bigger kids screaming, running around wildly, and splashing everyone else in the pool while their parents were MIA.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,293,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It is a horrible mispronunciation of "wretched" that has caught on.

for the rest of us it is a wrench
Around here ratchet is black ghetto.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 AM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I dislike people who constantly come up to you & shove their product in your face. I get they are trying to make a living but it's annoying. Some countries the parents send their adorably cute kids over. They are very sweet kids but it's honestly annoying. If I want your product, I will find you and buy it. Otherwise leave me alone.
I guess I appreciate it when they at least have a product to say no to.

The little gypsy kids in Europe just make the rounds over and over at outdoor cafes, shoving their hands in front of you "money please give money" while the mother ship hovers barely out of sight smoking a cigarette and watching them work.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
I like to know when I'm crossing state lines, would it kill them to spend the time and effort to actually paint then on solid ground like on a map?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like to know when I'm crossing state lines, would it kill them to spend the time and effort to actually paint then on solid ground like on a map?

Big and bright enough to be seen from 30,000 feet in a 737.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:10 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
My experience has been that most states post signs when you cross the line on all but the most rural roads saying, "Welcome to ______, the ________ state!"

In the event that that doesn't happen, the GPS in my smart phone tells me out loud every time I cross into a new state. That's kind of cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel