U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What are your traveling related pet peeves?

1) Cost of domestic airlines in the US. Flights from NYC to Los Angeles, Havana, and Cancun are all about the same price despite the fact that the latter two are in different countries. The tiny flights from NYC to Boston or Philly are like $200, in Europe for the same price you can travel across the entire continent in comparison. NYC-Dallas and NYC-Miami seem to be the only flights where the price seems reasonable for the distance

2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

4) Ratchet passengers on the Greyhound

5) Travel distances in South America. Because of all the mountains and the deserts and the jungles, bus travel is insanely long and tiring. The ride from Buenos Aires to Mendoza is nightmarish and Argentinian air prices mean that bus travel is your only economical option. Peru also has ridiculous distances, buses from Lima to Arequipa take 17 hours, from Lima to Cusco 20 hours, from Lima to Quito 30 hours, from Lima to Santiago 45 hours. In Colombia because of the mountains cities that look like a millimeter away from each other on the map are actually separated by like 8 or 9 hour rides

6) Lack of hostels in the US

7) When people assume that when you travel you just want to be around other tourists. If I travel to Paris I don't want to meet other tourists who are in Paris, I want to meet actual Parisians

8) International border crossings on buses

What do you guys dislike on your travels?
I think what I dislike the most is travelers who complain about everything including stuff that is obvious (travel distances in South America?!!? )

If you have the disposable income and physical ability to travel, count yourself damn lucky.

That said, I will confess to one thing that does pissed me off: That restaurants and bars are allowed to jack up their prices so much. Accordingly, we try to bring our own food, and flat out refused to pay twelve bucks for a glass of jug wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,394,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What's your native country if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to go with Poland based on your user name. I am American.

Most Latinos don't know the difference between Europeans & Americans simply by looking @ them or by an accent though. Most of them just ask where we're from. Regardless we're white so they equate that with money.

There are some very poor areas of America as well.
I am from Russia, I put in Warszawa because I liked the name

Yup, in general most bunch USA and Canada and Europe into one category, altho I think many of them have better views of Europe than the US because they know in US there is a lot of racism against Latinos

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,770,937 times
Quote:
*Ratchet

Means talking loudly the whole trip, making a mess, being inconsiderate to everyone around them, blasting music, etc
I'd rather have that instead of the obvious just released from prison passenger.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,770,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It is a horrible mispronunciation of "wretched" that has caught on.

for the rest of us it is a wrench
It means hood rat, trailer trash, etc type

Old 07-06-2017, 01:03 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
I really do not have any pet peeves that stand out: I guess the two that bother me are 1-like JK said, people who have nothing better to do than ***** and 2-having to get patted down when going through TSA cause i have a make believe knee. I guess I understand it but I still hate it. How many women or men for that matter my age are terrorist or smuggling drugs? At least I have reached the age where I can leave my shoes on.

I guess the other thing that does bother me, is crowded planes and people bringing 1/2 their possessions on the plane and finding a way to crowd them all into acceptable carry ons. And yet, I completely understand, who wants to pay the airlines for every piece of luggage that we do not carry on. It is a no win situation.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Man, if ever I saw a "Whine, whine, whine" list this was it.

My pet peeve is the gas stations which have one price, but pull in and find that unless you have their card, it's anywhere from 10-25 cents more a gallon.

Or worse, not see a price and pull in and the see they are fifty to 75 cents more than another station across the street. Then I flip the bird at the cashier and go there....bastards...

Since I don't fly, I don't have to deal with TSA and the fondling they love doing.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:42 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,126 times
Quote:
What are your traveling related pet peeves?
2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

6) Lack of hostels in the US
For #2, are you comparing the math? If they sell you $800 tickets, but have to spend an extra $10 for that snack box, I'd say that's better than paying for $850 tickets that includes that same $10 snack box
#3, I believe the US want make more money by selling their own booze. There may be safety and security reasons I'm missing [shrug]
#6 Why hostels? Do you like them b/c they're cheaper?
Quote:
I dislike people who constantly come up to you & shove their product in your face. I get they are trying to make a living but it's annoying. Some countries the parents send their adorably cute kids over. They are very sweet kids but it's honestly annoying. If I want your product, I will find you and buy it. Otherwise leave me alone.
Domestically (at least in the US), malls have people trying to approach you to buy their Dead Sea Salt/Tibetan volcanic ash mud/rainforest skin cream. At one mall, 3 different kiosks were trying to sell home, handheld message devices.
Quote:
It's frustrating too being a white person in Asia or South America b/c it's like you are walking ATM and they just flock to you b/c they think you have $$... meanwhile of course not all white people have money... far from it... but in their eyes, we do.
Only advice there is to learn to say "no" in their language, and be firm. Consider yelling at them if they won't back off.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,394,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For #2, are you comparing the math? If they sell you $800 tickets, but have to spend an extra $10 for that snack box, I'd say that's better than paying for $850 tickets that includes that same $10 snack box
#3, I believe the US want make more money by selling their own booze. There may be safety and security reasons I'm missing [shrug]
#6 Why hostels? Do you like them b/c they're cheaper?
1) While that is true, United Airlines isn't some sort of low cost carrier where you fly barebones in exchange for the lowest price possible, it is a normal airline with higher prices. Comparable airlines like COPA or Avianca all offer in-flight food and other perks, but United Airlines being United Airlines you don't get that. I've actually flown with low cost domestic carriers in South America where you get more benefits than that. Also considering the fact that the plane showed up like 2 hours late, and that they placed my seat in the final row and in the middle of a huge family, that is enough reasons to never give another penny out of my wallet to United again. I hope they go bankrupt

2) I'm guessing the money is the issue, which is a pretty lame way of making more money

3) Yup, the price is a huge attraction and makes traveling a lot easier in general. I don't get why they don't open up some hostels in cities like New York City or Boston, there is no competition. It would be extremely easy to make money

Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,126 times
Quote:
1) While that is true, United Airlines isn't some sort of low cost carrier where you fly barebones in exchange for the lowest price possible, it is a normal airline with higher prices. Comparable airlines like COPA or Avianca all offer in-flight food and other perks, but United Airlines being United Airlines you don't get that. I've actually flown with low cost domestic carriers in South America where you get more benefits than that. Also considering the fact that the plane showed up like 2 hours late, and that they placed my seat in the final row and in the middle of a huge family, that is enough reasons to never give another penny out of my wallet to United again. I hope they go bankrupt

2) I'm guessing the money is the issue, which is a pretty lame way of making more money

3) Yup, the price is a huge attraction and makes traveling a lot easier in general. I don't get why they don't open up some hostels in cities like New York City or Boston, there is no competition. It would be extremely easy to make money
Unfortunately, UA does have the leg up in the deparment of better coverage of flights

AFAIK, hostels may be too big of a liability if theft ends up being rampant? In nearly all the hotels I've been to, they tell guests to lock their doors. As hostels have guests of different parties share rooms, that may be more of an issue?

Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:

1. Solutions to these complaints are super easy. Bring your own food, and select your seat in advance. As far as that back row, family issue, why didn't you POLITELY ask the flight attendant or somebody in that family to change seats with you.

2. One reason for limitations on alcohol coming into the US is that alcohol sold for commercial purposes requires a license. There are fees charged to corporations who import goods.

Quote:
Customs Duty is a tariff or tax imposed on goods when transported across international borders. The purpose of Customs Duty is to protect each country's economy, residents, jobs, environment, etc., by controlling the flow of goods, especially restrictive and prohibited goods, into and out of the country. Source: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Other countries have very similar limits- it's certainly NOT just in the USA. In fact, the US allows you to bring up to one CASE of alcohol - but you'll pay the import tax (duty) above the amount allowed for free.

3. There are at least 270 hostels in the usa. Top US Hostels: Live The American Dream For Less

Why aren't there MORE hostels in America? I think this explains it fairly well https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-abo...-in-the-States

Personally, I think it's primarily related to the general lack of public transport in the states and the difficulty of turning a profit.

OP you have one solution to all these (petty) pet peeves: Stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel