U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times

Advertisements

Another pet peeve of mine is when places charge a higher amount for foreigners than for locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 AM

11,435 posts, read 6,396,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP you have one solution to all these (petty) pet peeves: Stay home.
Better solution: Never fly United Airlines again and make sure to tell everyone what an awful airline that is. JetBlue doesn't offer food either but they have excellent entertainment options to keep you busy during the flight, the staff is a lot more respectful, they let you choose your own seat, the boarding procedures are more fair, the planes arrive on time, and they don't make you feel like you're a burden. Or fly with an airline like Copa or Avianca or LAN where you pay the same price as United but get significantly more benefits. I bet even Spirit would treat you better than United

Old 07-08-2017, 12:41 PM

904 posts, read 512,189 times
the only thing that bugs me is as has been mentioned passengers who ignore the rules for carryon bags - putting 2 up in the bins - then opening them mid flight, too heavy and crashing it on your head when they try to pull it out, and making us all wait to get off the plane. And of course it is the rest of us who pay the fees.

I have never used an overhead bin - a lot more peaceful without them I just have to relax and ignore the bin crowd.
Dave

Old 07-08-2017, 01:30 PM

22,655 posts, read 28,672,666 times
I don't know about pet peeves. Everything about flying is miserable, so I just patiently get through it.

I do find something puzzling though. When it is time to deplane, all the passengers try to get on their feet and into the aisle. Then they stand there until the person in front of them moves on down the aisle. Only at that point do they start to get their overhead bags together, sometimes taking a couple of minutes to do it.

Finally, they reorganize and walk off down the aisle. The person standing behind them, once the aisle is cleared, then starts to get his bags down out of the overhead bin and to organize his stuff. It takes him a minute or two to get organized and then he walks off the plane.

Only then does the person who was right behind him reach up and take down his bags, count his possessions, shift stuff around, get organized and start to deplane.

After he does that, the person who was right behind him reaches up into the overhead bibs and starts to look for his stuff to get organized.

It goes like that all the way through the plane. If everyone would get their bags down and ready to go, deplaning would go 10 times faster.

Not really a pet peeve. Unless I have a tight connection, I just stay in my seat and read my book until everyone else gets it all sorted out and then I get off the plane.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:42 PM

11,120 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid
Drunk passengers are a safety hazard. Personally, I think alcohol should be more limited than it is right now.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM

11,665 posts, read 6,271,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What are your traveling related pet peeves?

1) Cost of domestic airlines in the US. Flights from NYC to Los Angeles, Havana, and Cancun are all about the same price despite the fact that the latter two are in different countries. The tiny flights from NYC to Boston or Philly are like $200, in Europe for the same price you can travel across the entire continent in comparison. NYC-Dallas and NYC-Miami seem to be the only flights where the price seems reasonable for the distance

2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

4) Ratchet passengers on the Greyhound

5) Travel distances in South America. Because of all the mountains and the deserts and the jungles, bus travel is insanely long and tiring. The ride from Buenos Aires to Mendoza is nightmarish and Argentinian air prices mean that bus travel is your only economical option. Peru also has ridiculous distances, buses from Lima to Arequipa take 17 hours, from Lima to Cusco 20 hours, from Lima to Quito 30 hours, from Lima to Santiago 45 hours. In Colombia because of the mountains cities that look like a millimeter away from each other on the map are actually separated by like 8 or 9 hour rides

6) Lack of hostels in the US

7) When people assume that when you travel you just want to be around other tourists. If I travel to Paris I don't want to meet other tourists who are in Paris, I want to meet actual Parisians

8) International border crossings on buses

What do you guys dislike on your travels?
That's a big reason why I stopped taking Greyhound a long time ago. And, note, the level of ratchet-ness I've seen on Greyhound I don't see on other services like Megabus or Shortline.

The charging for meals on longer haul flights sucks, too, but I get an annual $200 airline credit on American with my platinum card. Also, booze is free for me with my CAC, which makes flying more enjoyable

Old 07-08-2017, 10:25 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Something that irritates me with tourists is when they use their cameras without having a sense of intrusion.

As an example, I remember one time in Sri Lanka at Galle Green there was a local Muslim family who had spread out a blanket on the grass and was pouring themselves tea to enjoy the late afternoon. A group of older European tourists walked up to a few meters away, crouched into camera handling positions and started taking pictures of them like they were some display at a museum. That poor family was just sitting there looking awkward, and to his credit the father actually said "you are welcome to join us" which is far nicer than I would have done in same situation.

Taking pictures of broad scenes of locals is one thing, but jamming cameras into faces like that is just wrong.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 AM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
the only thing that bugs me is as has been mentioned passengers who ignore the rules for carryon bags - putting 2 up in the bins - then opening them mid flight, too heavy and crashing it on your head when they try to pull it out, and making us all wait to get off the plane. And of course it is the rest of us who pay the fees.

I have never used an overhead bin - a lot more peaceful without them I just have to relax and ignore the bin crowd.
Dave
I'd blame the flight attendants who allowed that person to board with 2 bags.

But I admit, on the outbound flight, we ALWAYS do carry on. A lot more peaceful with them at the beginning of our trip. On the return flight, go ahead and check them (if it's free). If they get lost, the airline will give me compensation and I get to go shopping.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:25 PM

1,907 posts, read 958,286 times
My pet peeve? That nobody yet has invented teleportation. Man, would I love to teleport instead of the nine+ hour flights. Just step in the booth and poof! you're there. And if you're lucky, all your vital parts teleported with you.......

OK, I read too much sci-fi. Back to the nine+ hour flights.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 PM

5,221 posts, read 5,086,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
My pet peeve? That nobody yet has invented teleportation. Man, would I love to teleport instead of the nine+ hour flights. Just step in the booth and poof! you're there. And if you're lucky, all your vital parts teleported with you.......

OK, I read too much sci-fi. Back to the nine+ hour flights.

Help meeeee! Help meeeee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel