U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,637,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know about pet peeves. Everything about flying is miserable, so I just patiently get through it.

I do find something puzzling though. When it is time to deplane, all the passengers try to get on their feet and into the aisle. Then they stand there until the person in front of them moves on down the aisle. Only at that point do they start to get their overhead bags together, sometimes taking a couple of minutes to do it.

Finally, they reorganize and walk off down the aisle. The person standing behind them, once the aisle is cleared, then starts to get his bags down out of the overhead bin and to organize his stuff. It takes him a minute or two to get organized and then he walks off the plane.

Only then does the person who was right behind him reach up and take down his bags, count his possessions, shift stuff around, get organized and start to deplane.

After he does that, the person who was right behind him reaches up into the overhead bibs and starts to look for his stuff to get organized.

It goes like that all the way through the plane. If everyone would get their bags down and ready to go, deplaning would go 10 times faster.

Not really a pet peeve. Unless I have a tight connection, I just stay in my seat and read my book until everyone else gets it all sorted out and then I get off the plane.
There is no place to put the big luggage since everyone is getting out to the aisle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 AM

904 posts, read 512,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
There is no place to put the big luggage since everyone is getting out to the aisle
yes, and those of us who check their bag, usually paying a fee, wait to deplane behind all those who have avoided the fees, often stretching the rules to do so. Definitely peeve worthy IMO
Dave

Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 AM

7,099 posts, read 3,459,108 times
Airline passengers who:

Don't know the basic TSA rules (take off shoes, take off jackets, nothing in pockets, laptop taken out)
Block boarding passengers by standing in line way too soon for their boarding group.
Hog all the overheads, even with stuff that fits under their seat.
Bring on really stinky foods to eat.
Let their kids meander in aisles throughout flight.
Slam the overhead compartment doors throughout the flight.
Wouldn't pay for premium seats but try to steal them during flight.
Wouldn't pay for two-seats-together and then want me to offer to move so they can sit together.

About 2 years ago, we said ENOUGH and now pay for biz or 1st class seating.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM

849 posts, read 990,518 times
Hotels that still charge for Wifi
Mandatory resort fees, buried and hidden from the room fee
Courtyard Marriott hotels - just a stupid brand that doesn't make any sense versus other Marriott chain/brands
Lack of anything decent/fresh/healthy around most hotel complexes near/adjacent to airports
Hotel rooms that position the desk workstation where you can't see the TV
Hotel showers that flood the bathroom floor
Airline boarding processes and the passenger herd mentality
The carry-on luggage fiasco
People who bring Panda Express on to a plane to eat
Airports with limited/no gas stations near rental car returns
People who park their cars on the shoulder of airport off-ramps and roadways to wait for arriving passengers
Getting "upgraded" to a mini-van as a rental when I really wanted a compact or mid-size

Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM

9,074 posts, read 9,502,693 times
I can agree with many of these.

Getting upgraded to a mini van when you wanted a compact car - YES. Getting a larger car isn't a prize. I want good gas mileage. I drive a small car at home, I do not want to drive a mini van on vacation. The only upgrade I am interested in is a convertible!

People who don't know take the time to learn the TSA rules ahead of time - YES. When TSA asks you to take everything out of their pockets, they mean it. Don't go through the scanner with stuff in your pockets, then stop to ask if you can keep your passport or your wallet in your pocket when you are asked to go back through. Take off your belt, and PLEASE start to at least unlace your shoes before it is actually your turn at the belt. I was behind a lady with knee high lace up boots once who waited until she put everything in the bins before she started to unlace them. I was already shoeless and ready to go behind her, but we all had to wait for that long process.

On that note, once your stuff goes through the xray machine, take your crap and put yourself back together out of the way. Every airport I have been to has benches nearby to put your shoes back on, belt on, etc. Don't stand at the end of the conveyor and clog up traffic.

Take some pity on that person in the middle seat, and give them the armrest, please!

At the gate the other day, a lady walked over to an entire row of chairs and placed a backpack or bag on every one. When I made a move to sit down, she stuck a bag in the seat before I could saying "sorry, someone is sitting there." She had the whole row blocked off for people that were not there yet many people had to stand. Most of the seats remained only occupied by bags right up until boarding time.

In general, remember that you are not the only person in the airport or on the plane. Give other people some courtesy.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I can agree with many of these.

Getting upgraded to a mini van when you wanted a compact car - YES. Getting a larger car isn't a prize. I want good gas mileage. I drive a small car at home, I do not want to drive a mini van on vacation. The only upgrade I am interested in is a convertible!

People who don't know take the time to learn the TSA rules ahead of time - YES. When TSA asks you to take everything out of their pockets, they mean it. Don't go through the scanner with stuff in your pockets, then stop to ask if you can keep your passport or your wallet in your pocket when you are asked to go back through. Take off your belt, and PLEASE start to at least unlace your shoes before it is actually your turn at the belt. I was behind a lady with knee high lace up boots once who waited until she put everything in the bins before she started to unlace them. I was already shoeless and ready to go behind her, but we all had to wait for that long process.

On that note, once your stuff goes through the xray machine, take your crap and put yourself back together out of the way. Every airport I have been to has benches nearby to put your shoes back on, belt on, etc. Don't stand at the end of the conveyor and clog up traffic.

Take some pity on that person in the middle seat, and give them the armrest, please!

At the gate the other day, a lady walked over to an entire row of chairs and placed a backpack or bag on every one. When I made a move to sit down, she stuck a bag in the seat before I could saying "sorry, someone is sitting there." She had the whole row blocked off for people that were not there yet many people had to stand. Most of the seats remained only occupied by bags right up until boarding time.

In general, remember that you are not the only person in the airport or on the plane. Give other people some courtesy.
All of this would go a long way toward making air travel way more civil, yes!

For me, it's hard to get past air travel as a source of any pet peeve I may have about traveling. I love almost every other part of travel.

My air travel peeves all stem from not being given options, or more accurately, being given FALSE options.

Airlines will very rarely enforce carry-on regulations, thus aiding and abetting all the luggage problems during boarding and deplaning.

Many airports rarely provide enough pick-up and drop-off space/options so we have to deal with overzealous traffic officers.

At least in my experience, TSA procedures vary airport by airport. Not saying the rules differ, but I at least have experienced very different TSA behaviors in interpreting and enforcing the rules and procedures depending on which airport I'm at. SO you do it right in airport XYZ but then you do the same thing at airport ABC and you're a butt-head.

Airlines have created so many layers of boarding priority that it's a joke...no wonder why people herd toward the velvet rope regardless of their actual status.

etc...

Old 07-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Also the other day, I was sitting on the plane next to someone with the worst garlic breath ever...UGH

Anyway, the last few people to get on were looking for overhead bin space. The flight attendants had already closed ALL bins but one, but these folks proceeded to walk the aisle opening and closing every bin even though they were announcing the bins were full. Finally, they said "To those of you opening and closing all of the bins, those are already full. There is one bin available up front and our flight attendant Stacey is next to it. Look, she is even pointing at it right now! She wants to help you so we can all be on our way." Did that stop them from STILL opening more bins? NOPE. UGHHHHH.

So, to my request that people be courteous, I'd like to add PAY ATTENTION

Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:

Family in Charlotte airport that let their daughters put a blanket down and play teddy bear picnic roughly five to seven feet from the door to a jet bridge being used for deplaning, I hope you heard that one.

Fake Emotional Support Animals, even the ones that don't maul other passengers. It's not fair to the untrained animal who ends up under a lot of stress, and it's not fair to fellow travelers inconvenienced by them.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,433,841 times
Quote:
Also the other day, I was sitting on the plane next to someone with the worst garlic breath ever...UGH
I sort of have a hard time getting upset about this one, as I feel its root cause is the airline's fault. They have removed meal service except for purchase and that's sometimes a 'maybe' and it's only a couple of bleh choices and they run out of choices A LOT halfway through the cabin. ANd let's face it, the food choices at most terminals are 'meh' most of the time. Sure, I'll eat before I fly but then it's two hours to do the ground transpo and security and they a XC flight...yeah I'll want to eat something.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I sort of have a hard time getting upset about this one, as I feel its root cause is the airline's fault. They have removed meal service except for purchase and that's sometimes a 'maybe' and it's only a couple of bleh choices and they run out of choices A LOT halfway through the cabin. ANd let's face it, the food choices at most terminals are 'meh' most of the time. Sure, I'll eat before I fly but then it's two hours to do the ground transpo and security and they a XC flight...yeah I'll want to eat something.
Not that it matters, but this was the kind that a person gets when they eat a LOT of garlic over a long period of time. The kind that comes from the gut, not the mouth. The kind that they have so often they can't even smell it on themselves. It's more like a garlic cloud; you smell them before you see them.

It was a short flight (under an hour) and I was exhausted so thankfully I was able to fall asleep and ignore it...with my hand and sweater over my nose and mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel