U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM

335 posts, read 296,963 times

Advertisements

It drives me batty when a plane is running late and the flight attendant announces for all passengers who do not have a tight connection to stay seated since there are people who are in jeopardy of missing their flight. NO ONE EVER LISTENS. You can tell who really has a tight connection because they are hurrying and often have a panicked look. I missed a flight people were not willing to let the people who were about to miss a flight go first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 PM

3,294 posts, read 1,561,140 times
my biggest pet peeve
- I am not assigned an over head bin, and I am asked to leave my full back pack under my seat.
- condescending flight staff
- no open space to get up and stretch, in flight
- no sd /micro sd/usb slots for the tvs
- the TSA when they act funny
- want more flight on cheap points.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,907,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
It drives me batty when a plane is running late and the flight attendant announces for all passengers who do not have a tight connection to stay seated since there are people who are in jeopardy of missing their flight. NO ONE EVER LISTENS. You can tell who really has a tight connection because they are hurrying and often have a panicked look. I missed a flight people were not willing to let the people who were about to miss a flight go first.
Yes! People who are at their final destination please just let those people go first.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 AM

9,074 posts, read 9,502,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
It annoys me when they DON'T announce this! I was on a flight once where I had 12 minutes to get off the pane and go 40 gates at Denver Airport to catch my next flight. I asked the FA in flight if they would let those with connections off first and she just shrugged. At the gate, no announcement was made. I finally just started asking people if I could please go ahead of them but didn't get more than a few rows. I did make the flight, but only because they actually held it as there were several on my plane trying to get there.

The reason my connection was so tight brings me to ANOTHER pet peeve. If the plane is not taking off, can someone please announce why? My initial flight sat on the runway for about 40 minutes before taking off, no explanation from anyone. A nice "folks, we are waiting for XYZ before we can take off" over the speakers would have been nice.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:00 AM

815 posts, read 461,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I also don't get people who film other people. On a recent trip to San Diego I was on a bay cruise. Some guy decided to film everyone on board. Not a wide shot, but walking around getting people pretty close up. WHY? I don't want to be on film.
photographer here. there's a candid type called "street photography". zoom lenses are frowned upon in favor of fixed prime lenses. This causes the shooter to get close to the subjects because there's no zoom. to be successful at this you must first shake the nervousness of being called out or having subjects point at you, flip out, flick you off, etc. The really good ones don't care what you think or what your reaction will be. Their memory cards may be filled with awkward expressions and such but eventually a stunning shot surfaces.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM

9,074 posts, read 9,502,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
photographer here. there's a candid type called "street photography". zoom lenses are frowned upon in favor of fixed prime lenses. This causes the shooter to get close to the subjects because there's no zoom. to be successful at this you must first shake the nervousness of being called out or having subjects point at you, flip out, flick you off, etc. The really good ones don't care what you think or what your reaction will be. Their memory cards may be filled with awkward expressions and such but eventually a stunning shot surfaces.
That photo has her face covered. That's one thing. Being on a boat where a guy is walking around with his cell phone making a video getting in the face of other passengers, is another. This guy was putting the phone inches from people's faces, asking "how are you doing? are you having a good time?" I can tell you that at least 99% of those he was filming did not appreciate it in the least.

Absolutely uncalled for.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:48 AM

328 posts, read 476,616 times
"Hate" is such a strong word, I don't like to use it in connection with my travel experiences

But the biggest source of complaint and dissatisfaction for me is TAXI DRIVERS.

Been ripped off in so many places and Athens is the worst!

Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM

815 posts, read 461,779 times
Quote:
That photo has her face covered. That's one thing. Being on a boat where a guy is walking around with his cell phone making a video getting in the face of other passengers, is another. This guy was putting the phone inches from people's faces, asking "how are you doing? are you having a good time?" I can tell you that at least 99% of those he was filming did not appreciate it in the least.

Absolutely uncalled for.
Yea that just sounds flat out annoying and rude. Maybe he was a troll just trying to get a rise out of people?

Old 07-15-2017, 11:23 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Quote:
being on a boat where a guy is walking around with his cell phone making a video getting in the face of other passengers, is another. This guy was putting the phone inches from people's faces, asking "how are you doing? are you having a good time?" I can tell you that at least 99% of those he was filming did not appreciate it in the least.

Absolutely uncalled for.

And not covered by the "no expectation of privacy in public" rule. Isn't this situation something that should be covered with a word to the crew?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:45 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,400,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
"Hate" is such a strong word, I don't like to use it in connection with my travel experiences

But the biggest source of complaint and dissatisfaction for me is TAXI DRIVERS.

Been ripped off in so many places and Athens is the worst!
You wouldnt believe it but NYC is the worst for this. A taxi ride would in most cases cost AT LEAST $20. You also have to be careful that the driver does not take you on a longer more expensive route, especially when traveling between the boroughs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel