Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

What are your traveling related pet peeves?

1) Cost of domestic airlines in the US. Flights from NYC to Los Angeles, Havana, and Cancun are all about the same price despite the fact that the latter two are in different countries. The tiny flights from NYC to Boston or Philly are like $200, in Europe for the same price you can travel across the entire continent in comparison. NYC-Dallas and NYC-Miami seem to be the only flights where the price seems reasonable for the distance

2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

4) Ratchet passengers on the Greyhound

5) Travel distances in South America. Because of all the mountains and the deserts and the jungles, bus travel is insanely long and tiring. The ride from Buenos Aires to Mendoza is nightmarish and Argentinian air prices mean that bus travel is your only economical option. Peru also has ridiculous distances, buses from Lima to Arequipa take 17 hours, from Lima to Cusco 20 hours, from Lima to Quito 30 hours, from Lima to Santiago 45 hours. In Colombia because of the mountains cities that look like a millimeter away from each other on the map are actually separated by like 8 or 9 hour rides

6) Lack of hostels in the US

7) When people assume that when you travel you just want to be around other tourists. If I travel to Paris I don't want to meet other tourists who are in Paris, I want to meet actual Parisians

8) International border crossings on buses

What do you guys dislike on your travels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What are your traveling related pet peeves?

1) Cost of domestic airlines in the US. Flights from NYC to Los Angeles, Havana, and Cancun are all about the same price despite the fact that the latter two are in different countries. The tiny flights from NYC to Boston or Philly are like $200, in Europe for the same price you can travel across the entire continent in comparison. NYC-Dallas and NYC-Miami seem to be the only flights where the price seems reasonable for the distance

2) Airlines that don't offer free food or drinks on even the longer flights, aka United Airlines. Take your $10 snack boxes and shove it

3) Alcohol limits on international travel. Why the hell does the government care if I want to bring a box of rum or pisco with me? So stupid

4) Ratchet passengers on the Greyhound

5) Travel distances in South America. Because of all the mountains and the deserts and the jungles, bus travel is insanely long and tiring. The ride from Buenos Aires to Mendoza is nightmarish and Argentinian air prices mean that bus travel is your only economical option. Peru also has ridiculous distances, buses from Lima to Arequipa take 17 hours, from Lima to Cusco 20 hours, from Lima to Quito 30 hours, from Lima to Santiago 45 hours. In Colombia because of the mountains cities that look like a millimeter away from each other on the map are actually separated by like 8 or 9 hour rides

6) Lack of hostels in the US

7) When people assume that when you travel you just want to be around other tourists. If I travel to Paris I don't want to meet other tourists who are in Paris, I want to meet actual Parisians

8) International border crossings on buses

What do you guys dislike on your travels?
I dislike people who constantly come up to you & shove their product in your face. I get they are trying to make a living but it's annoying. Some countries the parents send their adorably cute kids over. They are very sweet kids but it's honestly annoying. If I want your product, I will find you and buy it. Otherwise leave me alone.

I also hate travelers diarrhea. Happens on almost all of my international travels.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM

I agree, I also hate when you are a tourist and everyone is trying to push their products on you. Especially when they try to advertise to you in a horribly broken English when in fact you can speak the local language

Old 07-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I agree, I also hate when you are a tourist and everyone is trying to push their products on you. Especially when they try to advertise to you in a horribly broken English when in fact you can speak the local language
It's frustrating too being a white person in Asia or South America b/c it's like you are walking ATM and they just flock to you b/c they think you have $$... meanwhile of course not all white people have money... far from it... but in their eyes, we do.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's frustrating too being a white person in Asia or South America b/c it's like you are walking ATM and they just flock to you b/c they think you have $$... meanwhile of course not all white people have money... far from it... but in their eyes, we do.
It can be very frustrating. It can also be annoying. Believe it or not, parts of Latin America have higher incomes than some parts of Europe. Your average Chilean or Brazilian is going to be wealthier than someone from Ukraine, but many Latinos assume that anyone traveling from Europe is going to be a millionaire. When I tell people that my native country is no richer than Chile or Argentina most of them seem shocked

Thankfully this sort of attitude seems mostly prevalent in touristy places like Cuzco, if you go to places without tourists people mostly treat you fairly, even if with curiosity

Old 07-05-2017, 12:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
I agree, I also hate when you are a tourist and everyone is trying to push their products on you.
Aka the airline co-branded credit card. During a typical two leg routing, I think about 17 different people are asking me to sign up for their damn credit card.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:11 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Panhandlers/beggars and others stationed right outside of popular tourist attractions. I visited Rome with my then 2 year old daughter and 2 senior citizens (my mother and mother in law), and it was incredibly annoying to have gypsies sitting at the steps of every church that we wanted to enter, and men selling selfie sticks and other junk and approaching us in every single piazza. One of the reasons we much prefer to visit small towns/villages versus big cities is that this is rarely an issue outside of big cities.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
What is a "rachet passenger'?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
What is a "rachet passenger'?
*Ratchet

Means talking loudly the whole trip, making a mess, being inconsiderate to everyone around them, blasting music, etc

Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It can be very frustrating. It can also be annoying. Believe it or not, parts of Latin America have higher incomes than some parts of Europe. Your average Chilean or Brazilian is going to be wealthier than someone from Ukraine, but many Latinos assume that anyone traveling from Europe is going to be a millionaire. When I tell people that my native country is no richer than Chile or Argentina most of them seem shocked

Thankfully this sort of attitude seems mostly prevalent in touristy places like Cuzco, if you go to places without tourists people mostly treat you fairly, even if with curiosity
What's your native country if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to go with Poland based on your user name. I am American.

Most Latinos don't know the difference between Europeans & Americans simply by looking @ them or by an accent though. Most of them just ask where we're from. Regardless we're white so they equate that with money.

There are some very poor areas of America as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel