U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 17,333 times

Advertisements

I am a young woman over 26 looking to vacation in Mexico. I am not sure what area I want to head to or would be best for what I am looking for. I need to work remotely so I require a stable internet connection. I am also looking to have adventure, so outdoor activities are a must. Nightlife I am usually disappointed because I am not diverse when it comes to music but I do want to dance and get some drinks. I would prefer an area where I could possibly run into other single travelers as well Does anyone have a suggestion on a location to start off in if anything. I forgot to mention I plan to stay for a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 PM

14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Just read up on the drug-gang areas, and stay well clear.

Me, I won't do Mexico at all, but if you fly in to one of the resort areas, and stay there, you should have a fairly safe but rather expensive stay. Just to be blunt, a young, attractive lady is somewhat at risk for kidnapping, for obvious reasons I won't go into.

If you can possibly pick up at least a little Spanish, knowing the native language is always a plus. Spanish is easy to learn for native English speakers.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 8,935 times
Nonsense, M3 Mitch. I agree it's wise to steer clear of drug areas in any country. The kid-napping warning is over-reactionary. I have lived in Guanajuato City, Mexico for 20 years. Other than petty thievery, very little crime. Nubianqueen, google Guanajuato. Its a lovely colonial city in central Mexico, a world Heritage Site, state capitol, university town. It's a major non-beach tourist destination. You'll find lots of people your age from all over the world here. There's an international airport about 40 minutes away (BJX) Leon Bajio.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 AM

678 posts, read 463,901 times
Try not to get sick down there, my first trip to Mexico was my last due to severe illness I caught while there, could not drag me back.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,190,570 times
Playa del Carmen area is safe and fun. Fly into Cancun and the hotel will pick you up. Me, I love Mexico City but you may want to go to that later, after you''ve been a few times. Also love San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, as mentioned above.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,870,369 times
A few years ago, a co-worker and I went on a diving trip to Cozumel (an island off the Yucatan). She is African American and I'm white. We had no problems at all in Mexico, in fact, most people thought we were married.

I've been to Cozumel as recently as two years ago with a local dive group and one of the guys was interested in a long-term rental. He found many available, some as low as $700 a month. If you stay on Coz and don't find you want even more nightlife than the island has, you can always take the ferry over to PDC or Cancun.

I would also suggest some Spanish. The people directly involved with tourism speak fluent English, but having a knowledge of the local language is always a help.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM

482 posts, read 250,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Try not to get sick down there, my first trip to Mexico was my last due to severe illness I caught while there, could not drag me back.
This. ^

Be very careful about water and street food, etc. Usually people who stick to eating and drinking at the resorts have fewer problems. But silly me, I insisted on trying to live like a "local" and getting what I thought was an "authentic" Mexico big city experience. I'm not going to horrify you with the details of how sick I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just read up on the drug-gang areas, and stay well clear.

Me, I won't do Mexico at all, but if you fly in to one of the resort areas, and stay there, you should have a fairly safe but rather expensive stay. Just to be blunt, a young, attractive lady is somewhat at risk for kidnapping, for obvious reasons I won't go into.
As far as safety, a lot of Americans who are fearful of travelling to Mexico seem to overlook how large a country it is. It has very safe areas and very unsafe areas. Could you imagine discouraging people from visiting, say, Key West, Florida because there's high crime on Chicago's South Side? Pffft. South Side crime doesn't keep most people from Downtown Chicago, let alone keep them from gorgeous beach resorts halfway across the country. Likewise having heavy cartel activity in poor mountain towns or border areas should have no impact on whether or not someone visits Cancun or Puerta Vallarta. Also my understanding is even in areas where there's more cartel activity, harming American tourists is not exactly the highest thing on their priority lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubianqueen View Post
I am a young woman over 26 looking to vacation in Mexico. I am not sure what area I want to head to or would be best for what I am looking for. I need to work remotely so I require a stable internet connection. I am also looking to have adventure, so outdoor activities are a must. Nightlife I am usually disappointed because I am not diverse when it comes to music but I do want to dance and get some drinks. I would prefer an area where I could possibly run into other single travelers as well Does anyone have a suggestion on a location to start off in if anything. I forgot to mention I plan to stay for a month.
As far as being black in Mexico, I'd say it's mostly a non-issue. I only say mostly because if you're black the locals will assume you're not fluent in the language. The assumption is made more so about blacks than about whites because there are actually many very light-skinned Mexicans -- to the extent that white Americans could easily be mistaken for or blend in with Mexicans or Spanish/Argentinian tourists, etc. But the thing is, for blacks who really aren't fluent in Spanish, the assumption is not necessarily bothersome.

Black skin in Mexico is rare but not unheard of. Some people will be extremely welcoming and friendly towards you, some people looking for a quick buck might see you as a decent target for a scam, and some may just stare silently at you. The vast majority of Mexicans, however, will treat you exactly the way they treat everyone else.

My nightlife experiences in Mexico are very limited, plus any review of nightlife would have to be specific to the area you visit, so I'm not sure I can give you a ton of feedback on that. What I'll say is, for myself and for friends who have traveled frequently to Mexico, none of us have ever experienced any lack of opportunities for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Playa del Carmen area is safe and fun. Fly into Cancun and the hotel will pick you up. Me, I love Mexico City but you may want to go to that later, after you''ve been a few times. Also love San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, as mentioned above.
Overall I think I'd second clarksvillemom's advice to you. Try Cancun or nearby areas for your first visit, and if you like it consider gradually moving towards the larger, more cultured cities on the interior for later visits.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

538 posts, read 1,133,150 times
If you're at all interested in scuba diving, get certified. Diving is super cheap on Cozumel compared to most places. The island is safe and most people speak english. The nice thing about diving is that you'll meet plenty of people on the dive boat, and a lot of them will be single and there by themselves. If you go to a dive resort, you'll run into people you dove with at the hotel bar pretty much every day. I went diving alone there about three years ago. Walked into town every afternoon for dinner and back to the hotel in the evening - it was maybe a 30 minute walk each way. No problems, never felt unsafe at all. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but I slightly prefer Belize (Ambergris Caye) and Honduras (Utila) for diving for personal reasons.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM

17 posts, read 6,089 times
My family just came back from Cozumel. We rented a condo for the week & the WiFi was fine. The island is very safe & I never felt uncomfortable. We drove all around the island including into some more run-down looking areas but we never felt threatened. There is a great variety of foods. We never tried out the nightlife as we have a young child.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
I'm an AA female but older than you. I looked at doing this too as I work from home but was unable to pick a city that had what I wanted *and* a pretty much guaranteed strong internet connection. Because I too wanted to stay for weeks at a time, a resort would have been too expensive. I was looking at properties in the Playa del Carmen area but local expats on expat forums were telling me that internet connection could be really iffy so I could not do it.

If you're looking to stay at a hotel or resort type of place I'm assuming it would be a non issue.

But the main thing that stood out to me about your post is you need to WORK during this time, so if I were you I would spend a LOT of time ensuring that wherever you choose to stay has a very good internet access.

Best of luck to you in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel