U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,657,869 times

Advertisements

My favorite island is the Big Island. It's so different from any of the others. However, each of the mentioned islands (never been to Lanai or Molakai) are different from each other and unique. And you really need to visit the different parts of each Island, such as the North Shore is a whole different world from Waikiki or Hilo is very different from Kona (even the weather is different).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 AM

9,081 posts, read 8,366,091 times
Part of vacation can also be relaxation. You don't always have to be doing something. To me, it's only a waste if you didn't enjoy yourself, i.e. hangover or getting sick.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 AM

3,217 posts, read 3,208,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
The North Shore is the closest that you can get to Kauai...well depending on the time of the year, the surf is pretty impressive for part of the year, but other then that it's very laid back, at least by Oahu standards.
I spent some time up there with my brother.

Very pretty! I would definitely go back. Also went to Waimanalo beach...very quiet and also very pretty. Wish I had went earlier in the day and had more time there. But alas, I was on vacation and had kept sleeping in til like 10 or 11 am...having 'breakfast' at 1 or 2 pm and wandering around for a while...then deciding what to do

Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Waikiki is the toilet of Oahu. Check out the Iolani Palace or visit Pearl Harbor and the Missouri.

I spent some time on the North Shore. My brother also took me hiking to Coco (spelling?) head and to China Walls.

I still think on Oahu, Lanikai has my heart....

Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
You probably would like Maui. It's kinda in between. More built up than Kauai, but not as much as Oahu. We went to Maui, then Kauai. And though I fully expected Kauai to be my favorite my wife prefered Maui and I have come to that as well.

Maui has so many beaches, restaurants, Lahaina town. Lots to do. And Kapalua, where we stay is quiter and nice. Great snorkeling on Maui is what really sold me.

Dave
I want to check it out one day for sure!!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I do kinda feel like doing nothing all day would be a waste of a day to me. But I'd never call it a waste to someone else because it's totally your prerogative and how you feel!!

Also, I certainly don't think you have to pack your itinerary with hourly activities. Often times I have half a day or more of doing nothing. But for me a full day of nothing would feel like a bit of a waste.

Enjoy HI!!
Thank you!

I did enjoy and I'm looking forward to planning the next vacation now!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 AM

By the way...earlier I had mentioned I wondered what other beaches/islands I might like since I enjoyed Kauai so much.

I actually meant what other beaches in the world...not just in Hawaii. I once read some people comparing Saint Lucia to Kauai. Never been there though. I actually chose Kauai over the Caribbean because I saw the humidity is higher in the Caribbean. I get enough of that in Atlanta. I like how it's warm/hot here in Kauai/Oahu, yet I don't feel like you can 'cut the air with a knife' like you can because of the humidity in parts of the south.

Anywho...I did go to Lisbon last year and was eyeing the southern beaches of Portugal for later this year. Or perhaps Greece. Also Isla Holbox in Mexico (but might be too humid...? Also don't know anyone who's been there...). I just want to explore as many beautiful places as I can.

This vacation showed me that, at least at this particular point in time, I needed a break from crowds. I just needed beautiful beaches/environments and peace/relaxation. There may be other times when I want different, but my next vacation I may want somewhere similar.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:12 AM

619 posts, read 367,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So just a random question....

I did do quite a bit in Kauai so I'm a bit tired. My first day in Waikiki I just walked around, ate and then had dinner with my brother who lives here in Honolulu. Today...I seriously just want to stay in for some reason. It's nice outside but I just want to have a meal and come back to my place and sleep most of the day. In my mind I am pushing myself to get out of my room because I don't want to 'waste' an entire day here, but on the other hand is it really a 'waste' if this is what I would rather be doing today? Practically nothing?

I do have plans to check out a new beach tomorrow, and then on the weekend my brother is taking me to some place called China Walls and around the North Shore area, so I do have some plans for the rest of my last 4 days here. I just don't think I've ever taken any vacation and not done anything on one of the vacation days outside of eating...I at least will go swimming and/or walking around and/or lying on the beach people watching/reading. But I've been on the beach almost every day and today I just feel so absolutely lazy.
I think it's a good idea to take a lazy day every now and then, even if you're in vacation. I get it - you spend all that money/time/effort/ vacation days, etc, so you want to cram everything in. I remember being in vacation and thinking that spending time at the hotel pool is a *waste* because I can go to a pool at home. But in the end it's about enjoying yourself and if a bday at the beach does that for you then it's not a waste

Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM

335 posts, read 297,800 times
Costa Rica is similar to Kauai to me. Also, the Daintree area of Australia.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 PM

2,558 posts, read 1,651,088 times
Tahiti islands are very similar but more beautiful, especially Moorea and Bora Bora
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel