U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:04 PM

735 posts, read 609,885 times

Advertisements

Since I live on the west coast Hawaii is my usual destination for some relaxation and beach time, but living in Atlanta would probably mean some very affordable flights to the Caribbean, don't let the idea of some humidity scare you away. Remember at the beach there is almost always a breeze and you can always jump into the water to cool off.

Just checked, you can get to Saint Thomas for less then $300 next month or in September Turks & Caicos for little more then $300, lucky dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Since I live on the west coast Hawaii is my usual destination for some relaxation and beach time, but living in Atlanta would probably mean some very affordable flights to the Caribbean, don't let the idea of some humidity scare you away. Remember at the beach there is almost always a breeze and you can always jump into the water to cool off.

Just checked, you can get to Saint Thomas for less then $300 next month or in September Turks & Caicos for little more then $300, lucky dog!
I was just taking an Uber ride yesterday when the driver asked me about how bad the heat was here in Atlanta the day before. I agreed and mentioned to her I got caught out in it walking around for about 5 minutes and my face was so hot I had to cover part of it with my hands while I was walking outside. Not to mention the thickness of the air-I swear the heat here in the south is just horrible.

So yeah, the thought of taking a vacation and walking around a lot in unbearable heat has actually kept me from the caribbean. I went to St. Maarten in June 2015 and I swear those first 5 minutes getting into the rental car every.single.time.we.had.to.get.in.it. was absolute HELL---those first few minutes of waiting for the air to get going enough to cool you down while your body is starting to sweat and stick to the seats was literally torture.

I know that's insane that I would comment on that instead of the beauty of the place first, but those are the little things that 'I' remember and make note of mentally so that when I choose my next destination I consider such factors. I just don't like overly overly hot and humid environments when there are other places I can choose from that aren't as overly hot and humid and just as beautiful is all.

So maybe it's not as bad in the Caribbean in the winter? I don't know because I haven't been then. But thanks for mentioning the sales to St. Thomas and T&C...I know those are both amazingly beautiful places.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
Costa Rica is similar to Kauai to me. Also, the Daintree area of Australia.
Really...? Thanks for our input on places you think are similar. I would love to see both Costa Rica as well as Australia one day.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Tahiti islands are very similar but more beautiful, especially Moorea and Bora Bora
I imagine that Bora Bora is the most beautiful place on earth......but I've never been.

My 40th is in a year and a half and I keep saying I need to start a Bora Bora fund like, 4 years ago so I can afford to book stuff next fall.

I mean, I think the cheapest over the water bungalows there are like $700 a night and the top 2 or 3 ranked ones (i.e. Four Seasons, St. Regis, Intercontinental) run like $2K a night. I'm already starting to fear I won't make it because $2k a night is a house down payment for me and just seems like a sin on my income even though going there is the #1 item on my bucket list....

Old 07-16-2017, 07:57 AM

904 posts, read 512,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I imagine that Bora Bora is the most beautiful place on earth......but I've never been.

My 40th is in a year and a half and I keep saying I need to start a Bora Bora fund like, 4 years ago so I can afford to book stuff next fall.

I mean, I think the cheapest over the water bungalows there are like $700 a night and the top 2 or 3 ranked ones (i.e. Four Seasons, St. Regis, Intercontinental) run like $2K a night. I'm already starting to fear I won't make it because $2k a night is a house down payment for me and just seems like a sin on my income even though going there is the #1 item on my bucket list....
You are beginning to sound like me southkakkatlantan Yes St. Thomas and especially St. John in the USVI are extremely beautiful - it was my honeymoon to them that got my wife and I into the island vacation style that we've stayed with all these 30 years.

They have those fare sales this time of year because it is so hot and also hurricane season.

Our trip to the USVI represented the beginning of my living out my fascinatrion with the tropics that began when I watched Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando as a 12 year old boy. The beautiful ocean, the palm trees, and yes, the polynesian women had a real effect on me

So my wife and I visited quite a few islands of the Caribbean while we lived on the east coast and 15 years ago we moved to California.

One of the first things I did was get us passports because at that time they sometimes ran fare sales to French Polynesia. We didn't have much money then and so it was a big thrill to grab two tickets to Tahiti for around $450 each.

So in 2003 I was able to fulfill my lifelong dream of flying to Tahiti. We took the big ferry boat over to Moorea and stayed 5 nights at the Pearl resort which at $300 a night was a big splurge. It was a regular room not overwater but gorgeous as was all of Moorea.

I have since fallen in love with Maui - a different place in that it is the USA and more built up. But it works for us and we have bought a condo there and I plan to retire there in just a couple years.

So that's my story I hope you don't mind me sharing All our trips are special but that trip to Tahiti and Moorea was the best. We couldn't afford to see any other islands but when I'm retired I hope to get to Bora Bora.
Dave

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
By the way...earlier I had mentioned I wondered what other beaches/islands I might like since I enjoyed Kauai so much....

I actually meant what other beaches in the world...not just in Hawaii.

Anywho...I did go to Lisbon last year and was eyeing the southern beaches of Portugal for later this year. Or perhaps Greece. Also Isla Holbox in Mexico (but might be too humid...? Also don't know anyone who's been there...). I just want to explore as many beautiful places as I can.

This vacation showed me that, at least at this particular point in time, I needed a break from crowds. I just needed beautiful beaches/environments and peace/relaxation. There may be other times when I want different, but my next vacation I may want somewhere similar.

You sound a bit like me in that I realized I dislike hot humid places, after about 20 years of regular visits to SE Asia, & recently visited Lisbon for the first time, loved it & have both the Algarve & Oporto in my sights for next visits. However just very recently I have become aware of Porto Covo & Sines on the Alentejo coast about an hour & half south of Lisbon. Lots of sparsely populated beaches & hidden coves, less touristed than the Algarve & most of the videos I've seen have a nice breeze blowing always. It's also a wine growing region + the seafood.... The town looks nice & not overrun with tourists, I know they have at least one music festival there annually. It's now on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCU7BH4xFWU

Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
You are beginning to sound like me southkakkatlantan Yes St. Thomas and especially St. John in the USVI are extremely beautiful - it was my honeymoon to them that got my wife and I into the island vacation style that we've stayed with all these 30 years.

They have those fare sales this time of year because it is so hot and also hurricane season.

Our trip to the USVI represented the beginning of my living out my fascinatrion with the tropics that began when I watched Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando as a 12 year old boy. The beautiful ocean, the palm trees, and yes, the polynesian women had a real effect on me

So my wife and I visited quite a few islands of the Caribbean while we lived on the east coast and 15 years ago we moved to California.

One of the first things I did was get us passports because at that time they sometimes ran fare sales to French Polynesia. We didn't have much money then and so it was a big thrill to grab two tickets to Tahiti for around $450 each.

So in 2003 I was able to fulfill my lifelong dream of flying to Tahiti. We took the big ferry boat over to Moorea and stayed 5 nights at the Pearl resort which at $300 a night was a big splurge. It was a regular room not overwater but gorgeous as was all of Moorea.

I have since fallen in love with Maui - a different place in that it is the USA and more built up. But it works for us and we have bought a condo there and I plan to retire there in just a couple years.

So that's my story I hope you don't mind me sharing All our trips are special but that trip to Tahiti and Moorea was the best. We couldn't afford to see any other islands but when I'm retired I hope to get to Bora Bora.
Dave
This was a great share and I really enjoyed the read!

I bet that 03 trip to Tahiti/Moorea was amazing and you have plenty of beautiful fond memories of your time there. I have not been to Maui but I think my next trip to Hawaii will include it. I was thinking either there or the Big Island but I think Maui will be next. I do eventually want to see all of the Hawaiian islands personally.

Since I'm a year and a half away from 40, I sadly already think I won't make it there for my 40th. Maybe in another 5 years perhaps? I don't know. I know it will be very special once I do finally make it there.

That is really nice that you are retiring to Maui. I'm a bit far away from retirement right now but I would really like to base myself somewhere (possibly where I currently live now) and potentially start home exchanging so I can see more places while still remaining employed. I'm determined to travel than the typical 2-3 trips I currently take annually...

Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
You sound a bit like me in that I realized I dislike hot humid places, after about 20 years of regular visits to SE Asia, & recently visited Lisbon for the first time, loved it & have both the Algarve & Oporto in my sights for next visits. However just very recently I have become aware of Porto Covo & Sines on the Alentejo coast about an hour & half south of Lisbon. Lots of sparsely populated beaches & hidden coves, less touristed than the Algarve & most of the videos I've seen have a nice breeze blowing always. It's also a wine growing region + the seafood.... The town looks nice & not overrun with tourists, I know they have at least one music festival there annually. It's now on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCU7BH4xFWU
You don't know how much I appreciated this information!

So, I went to Lisbon at the end of last year for NYE (a few pics are here: [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]https://www.flickr.com/gp/146734945@N06/wV7Q1x[/SIZE])

I originally was going to do the entire trip in Spain but I couldn't find a flight I could book for free with points 'out' of Spain so I had to fly out of Lisbon. Now, I did have intentions of doing a Lisbon trip this year but since I was off for almost 2 weeks I spent the last 3.5 days in Lisbon to get a 'taste' of it.

I was pretty impressed

I mean, I had intentions of going back to Spain this year but now the plan instead is to do Portugal. And my plans was to do the Algarve region first, do a few days in Lisbon, and then end in Porto. I was combing through this forum some weeks ago because there was a post by someone a while back that had a beautiful photo of some place that was kindof northeastern of Lisbon...possibly below Porto (?) but I can't find it now. I really should have bookmarked that post because I want to visit that place. I just simply can't remember the name of the city. I remember the photo looked like it was overlooking a cliff type area with water on the left and housing on the right...anyways I totally digress.

So my original plan was to go Labor Day week. But now that is starting to feel a bit too soon and I may be looking at the beginning of October now instead. I am wondering however...is the water too cold in early October? I so don't want to miss out on a beach trip to Portugal by waiting but I need about another month to save up and get some more points together for a free flight.

Only thing is, because I went to Lisbon last year I thought maybe I should skip a visit to Portugal this year. I was starting to think to check out Greece instead. But that line of thinking seems a bit silly...there's so much of Portugal I haven't seen and the food was amazing so I think considering the flight duration and how much I liked it (and *loved* the food as well), I think going back and exploring other areas is the best next destination for me.

When are you planning to go?
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Whenever I'm mapping out a longer vacation, there are blocks of time that are pretty much 'find nice park; feed ducks in pond' because it's just not fun for us to feel like you always have to be on the go the whole time you're on vacation. It's not a waste of time; it's a chance to recharge for the next part of the adventure.
We do the same, but that is we are getting older and I am disabled.

Used to be one day in the middle of 7, then it was every two days on, take one day off. Now it's more like every other day is a rest day.

We find many beautiful spots in Waikiki Beach to "hang out with", but I admit to not being there in the high summer tourist season. So I don't know what you are currently dealing with.

I'd find a nice banyan tree to hang out under in the side without tourists taking pictures to hang out under.

Maybe at iolani palace.

Enjoy your self and don't think of a day wasted but a day to recharge.
Best of luck

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel