Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

So just a random question....

I flew from Atlanta to Kauai on June 28. Stayed there and flew from Kauai to Oahu on July 4. I'd never been to Kauai but I've been to Oahu twice before so this is my third time in Oahu. I wish someone would have told me how crazy beautiful Kauai was before I went...it literally ruined me coming back to Oahu lol. Don't get me wrong, I still like Waikiki area (which is where I'm staying) but after landing the night of the 4th and going from such a peaceful, serene and absolutely stunningly beautiful environment in Kauai to all of the loud kids, sirens and crowds in Waikiki I almost wanted to shed a tear that I didn't stay in Kauai for the whole trip. As a matter of fact, if my place in Waikiki was refundable I would have cancelled it and changed plans/stayed in Kauai the rest of the time.

With that said...on to my actual question...

I did do quite a bit in Kauai so I'm a bit tired. My first day in Waikiki I just walked around, ate and then had dinner with my brother who lives here in Honolulu. Today...I seriously just want to stay in for some reason. It's nice outside but I just want to have a meal and come back to my place and sleep most of the day. In my mind I am pushing myself to get out of my room because I don't want to 'waste' an entire day here, but on the other hand is it really a 'waste' if this is what I would rather be doing today? Practically nothing?

I do have plans to check out a new beach tomorrow, and then on the weekend my brother is taking me to some place called China Walls and around the North Shore area, so I do have some plans for the rest of my last 4 days here. I just don't think I've ever taken any vacation and not done anything on one of the vacation days outside of eating...I at least will go swimming and/or walking around and/or lying on the beach people watching/reading. But I've been on the beach almost every day and today I just feel so absolutely lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
You should check out Kualoa Ranch on the north Shore of Oahu. The setting is spectacular with green field and rugged mountains. Jurassic park was filmed there.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Whenever I'm mapping out a longer vacation, there are blocks of time that are pretty much 'find nice park; feed ducks in pond' because it's just not fun for us to feel like you always have to be on the go the whole time you're on vacation. It's not a waste of time; it's a chance to recharge for the next part of the adventure.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
The only way you can waste a vacation day is to spend it at work!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Kauai is one of my go-to vacation spots, I love the island, glad that you found this little hidden treasure and sad that you didn't get to spend more time there. That being said, like Aredhel said, you aren't wasting the day if you just lay around and rest up, that is what vacation is for!

Enjoy the rest of your time on Oahu and remember a lot of people would love to be there, it's still an enjoyable island and has it's unique charm.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Waikiki is the toilet of Oahu. Check out the Iolani Palace or visit Pearl Harbor and the Missouri.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Kauai is one of my go-to vacation spots, I love the island, glad that you found this little hidden treasure and sad that you didn't get to spend more time there. That being said, like Aredhel said, you aren't wasting the day if you just lay around and rest up, that is what vacation is for!

Enjoy the rest of your time on Oahu and remember a lot of people would love to be there, it's still an enjoyable island and has it's unique charm.
Thank you. I can't wait to go back to Kauai now!

I'm also wondering now what other beaches or islands I might like if I enjoyed Kauai. I have to plan another trip for the time off I have in September.

I have never been to the North Shore so I will check that out this weekend. I may go to Waimanalo (spelling?) beach which is on the east side of the island (I think) today. My brother lives here so he will take me around the North shore area this weekend.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
The North Shore is the closest that you can get to Kauai...well depending on the time of the year, the surf is pretty impressive for part of the year, but other then that it's very laid back, at least by Oahu standards.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
You probably would like Maui. It's kinda in between. More built up than Kauai, but not as much as Oahu. We went to Maui, then Kauai. And though I fully expected Kauai to be my favorite my wife prefered Maui and I have come to that as well.

Maui has so many beaches, restaurants, Lahaina town. Lots to do. And Kapalua, where we stay is quiter and nice. Great snorkeling on Maui is what really sold me.

Dave

Old 07-08-2017, 08:28 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I do kinda feel like doing nothing all day would be a waste of a day to me. But I'd never call it a waste to someone else because it's totally your prerogative and how you feel!!

Also, I certainly don't think you have to pack your itinerary with hourly activities. Often times I have half a day or more of doing nothing. But for me a full day of nothing would feel like a bit of a waste.

Enjoy HI!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel