U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM

815 posts, read 461,933 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me one way or another. Just one of things I expect to see in a hotel like packaged soap or the little beige colored ice bucket. I do, however, wonder if anyone reads them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 AM

9,254 posts, read 10,909,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
So you can continue to not read it. You exercise your right not to read it and those who want to read it can exercise their right to read it. And since they are usually in night stands anyway you don't have to worry about it burning your hands or leaping out and trying to convert you.
I've yet to burst into flames when I find it in the nightstand drawer. I usually do skim through whatever local tourist magazine is left in the room, nobody is holding a gun to my head to look at that either.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 AM

9,594 posts, read 17,174,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I don't think the Gideons' mission is to have them available to people who would have already downloaded the Bible on their smart phone. The goal is to reach people who would not normally read the Bible but are at the end of their rope and might find the Bible and read something uplifting in it that helps them.

Someone else mentioned, and I've read accounts of this happening too, that there have been people who came back to their rooms who were feeling hopeless or suicidal and started reading the Gideon Bible and it literally saved their lives. I think if this happened even once and one human life was saved then it is a compelling case for having them in hotel rooms. These Bibles are designed for just this sort of situation too. Just inside the cover they usually have a list with things like, "When you're feeling hopeless", "When you want to die", etc., etc. with references to specific Scriptures that address those feelings.

Whether you're a Christian or not, if these Bibles help anyone, then it is pretty selfish to think that they should be banned from all hotel rooms to fit your belief system. As others here said, just don't read it, problem solved. I am a Christian, but I have no problem with someone leaving a Koran, Book of Mormon, Hindu Scriptures, or any other Holy Book in a hotel room when the motive is to help someone in need or distress. That's a kind and thoughtful thing to do.
We had a Gideon visit our church one time to explain their mission and you hit it squarely on the head. The hotel has nothing to do with placing these Bibles b/c Gideon Int'l takes care of everything.

For those who didn't know, they encourage you to take them, a thing I remembered recently when I "stole" a Bible out of a hostel in Bolivia. The reason was b/c it had a side by side translation of Spanish and English and I didn't feel too bad about it b/c there were two in the drawer.

The main issue to keep in mind here though is that it's just there--they are not stuffing religion down your throat. They are not making you pray and they are not telling you what you should think. It's really low on the abrasiveness scale and even tho I"m a Christian I'm pretty sensitive to over-proselytizing--it drives me as crazy as it would any non-Christian.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:02 AM

3,732 posts, read 1,471,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Still creepy. Hotels aren't the place for it. If you want worship, go to a church.
If you want atheism, go to N Korea.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 AM

10,186 posts, read 7,785,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
If you want atheism, go to N Korea.
These guys have a religion in a way. They worship their supreme leader and believe he has some sort of powers. Heard of Cult of Personality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Agreed, they do have that right under our Constitution. If you don't like the Bible in your hotel room you don't have to read it, same as if a Christian found a Koran in their hotel room. Different strokes for different folks.
First off, I doubt that many Islamic-dominated countries would allow bibles in their hotel rooms. As such, I would react if I were to see Korans in Western hotel rooms, tbh. Yes, all religions are false, but I'm for justice and fairness, is all.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM

14,672 posts, read 10,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
even longer, Rocky Racoon found one when checking into his room, and that was probably in the 1800's
Every time I hear the term "Gideons' Bible," I think of that song. I'm pretty sure it's how I learned the phrase in the first place, as a kid.

Wasn't aware of the background of the tradition.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM

3,732 posts, read 1,471,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
These guys have a religion in a way. They worship their supreme leader and believe he has some sort of powers. Heard of Cult of Personality?

First off, I doubt that many Islamic-dominated countries would allow bibles in their hotel rooms. As such, I would react if I were to see Korans in Western hotel rooms, tbh. Yes, all religions are false, but I'm for justice and fairness, is all.
Atheism is a religion, Supreme court ruled on it.

Wherever a person places their ultimate reliance in life, that is their God.
To find the real God just consider what the ego despises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or