Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,889,277 times

Advertisements

Why do hotels still do this? Not all, but a lot. Who pays for these. Seems so odd to me. Who is Gideon anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,920,495 times
Who are they: https://www2.gideons.org/

Many Hotel Do it, It does not cost them anything, and some of the guest like it.

Gideon Pays for the Bibles,

Hotel would pay the (Very minor) cost of storing the "extras" and restocking them in room if they go "Missing".

Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM

19,375 posts, read 27,620,236 times
The hotels do not pay for these. They have been distributed for free for over 100 years by a charity Gideons International

They distribute bibles in many things, including schools and military. There has been some legal disputes and court cases about their distribution locations.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,290,936 times
It's creepy af, IMO

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,423,119 times
It's just a tradition that has been going on for awhile so they keep doing it. It's less and less every year and at some point they will be nearly gone.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The hotels do not pay for these. They have been distributed for free for over 100 years by a charity Gideons International

They distribute bibles in many things, including schools and military. There has been some legal disputes and court cases about their distribution locations.

even longer, Rocky Racoon found one when checking into his room, and that was probably in the 1800's

Old 07-08-2017, 01:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,429,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Why do hotels still do this? Not all, but a lot. Who pays for these. Seems so odd to me. Who is Gideon anyway
The hotels don't do it. Gideons International does and their association pays for it, not the hotel/motel or those of us who pay for the room. So goofy but the first thing I do in a room is look for it. LOL.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,264,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The hotels don't do it. Gideons International does and their association pays for it, not the hotel/motel or those of us who pay for the room. So goofy but the first thing I do in a room is look for it. LOL.
Me too! I also used to look for the phone book, weird, I know. Our kids and I used to play a silly game before they went to sleep where we would go through the phone book in our hotel room and find people with funny names. No more phone books in hotel rooms these days.

I have also found the Book of Mormon in all of my hotel rooms when I stayed anywhere in the Mountain West, particularly around SLC (duh) and Phoenix.

Last edited by canudigit; 07-08-2017 at 05:37 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Me too! I also used to look for the phone book, ...
I have also found the Book of Mormon in all of my hotel rooms when I stayed anywhere in the Mountain West, particularly around SLC (duh) and Phoenix.
Marriot Has LDS Ownership and often adds Book of Mormon.
Marriot Hotel | 20 companies with religious roots | Deseret News

You can also be greeted by a Koran in some countries.

The Gideon's have helped a lot of people out of a crisis / suicide.

That's HOPE... Not too creepy

I have come to respect businesses that continue to fight hard to stay true to their personal value set. In the USA it is truly a battle. In many more restrictive and controlled nations the businesses are free to express and promote their values (for the betterment of their employees and communities).

Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,264,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The Gideon's have helped a lot of people out of a crisis / suicide.

That's HOPE... Not too creepy

I have come to respect businesses that continue to fight hard to stay true to their personal value set. In the USA it is truly a battle. In many more restrictive and controlled nations the businesses are free to express and promote their values (for the betterment of their employees and communities).
Agreed, they do have that right under our Constitution. If you don't like the Bible in your hotel room you don't have to read it, same as if a Christian found a Koran in their hotel room. Different strokes for different folks.

A lot of those Gideon Bibles were donated by individuals who purchased them through the Gideons in memory of a loved one or just because. You can purchase them relatively inexpensively and they are then distributed overseas, to hotel rooms, or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel