U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 PM

11,125 posts, read 8,531,120 times

Advertisements

Try going to https://www.insuremytrip.com/

You can compare rates/coverage across multiple companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 AM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I have bought travel insurance for a few US trips, but they were expensive pre-paid trips (like rafting down the Grand Canyon) where I would have lost thousands of dollars if I'd had to cancel at the last minute. But those are the exceptions; on most US trips all I'd be out is the airfare and maybe the first night's hotel cost, and that's a loss I can bear.

It's medical issues outside of the US I mostly worry about. Since I don't want to have to raid my retirement savings or take out a second mortgage to pay the costs of an international vacation gone bad, I regard trip insurance for international travels as mandatory.
Aredhel, I'm getting tired of not being able to reply you! Such good advice.

Like charlygal, I use insurmytrip.com They make it easy to search for exactly what risk you are looking to cover, compare the costs and the ratings of each company.

A reminder: buy that insurance within ten days of booking the first thing of your trip (the plane ticket, the tour, the cruise, whatever comes FIRST). You'll have to accept exemptions for previously existing conditions if you wait.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A reminder: buy that insurance within ten days of booking the first thing of your trip (the plane ticket, the tour, the cruise, whatever comes FIRST). You'll have to accept exemptions for previously existing conditions if you wait.
This is a very important point! And if you don't know the final cost of the trip (or perhaps the exact dates) before that deadline, buy the insurance anyway. The company can always change the travel dates or increase the coverage amount later (for an additional fee, of course). But you want to get that pre-existing conditions waiver!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,139,278 times
I have used World Nomads and it came in handy. Once I ended up in the ER in South Carolina (living in Canada at the time), and the bill was $21,000. They paid the entire bill with nothing out of my pocket. Hospital took care of everything with only a phone call from me.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM

71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Anyone have a personal good experience with their purchased travel insurance? If so, which company do you recommend? Specifically for medical emergencies. I will travel later this year and taking an elderly relative with me also. Thanks.
I can give you two right off the top of my head: 1; when I was still an agent, about 5 years ago a good friend who always booked through my company had booked a cruise for herself, hubby and entire family. They were celebrating their 50th anniversary. only about 5 weeks prior to the sailing date, my friend was diagnosed with cancer and had to cancel. It took them no time to get a total refund, though they did have to fill out papers and get letters from her doctor.

The second time was more recently: My own travel agent had a client who was diagnosed with a heart problem only 24 hours prior to sailing. Although the policy stated complete cancellation has to take place more than 24 hours prior to the start of the vacation unless the insurers are on vacation at time the insurance company did make an exception and the clients got a complete refund except, of course the cost of the insurance. I don't know the name of the company in either case. It was the company the Travel agency always uses.

I had one less satisfactory experience but it wasn't a big deal. I have to see the doctor on a cruise due to knee injury or stiffness. When I returned home I called the insurance company just to be told they were only the second holder. They would only pay what medicare or my primary insurance didn't pay. To my surprise medicare doesn't pay for anything when out of the country. To make a long story short, our insurance company did pay the doctors visit and the meds. All with the exception of what would be our primary care office visit. I didn't bother to turn the small amount not covered over to to the travel insurance company. I guess I can't say I was unhappy with the insurance, it was just a lot of bother for a small amount.

I will add, I don't care whether you are traveling to Europe, on a cruise or whatever. Even if you are younger, I would never think of traveling without insurance. I am not talking about a road trip for a few days or weeks. I am talking about flight, cruising, leaving the company etc.

We just had a couple in our church. They are probably in their 60s and he does have cancer. They decided to take a cruise while he is still able to travel. Well he fell and broke his leg. This has nothing to do with the cancer. Anyway, Thank God they had insurance. He had to be air lifted back to the states.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:18 PM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I have used World Nomads and it came in handy. Once I ended up in the ER in South Carolina (living in Canada at the time), and the bill was $21,000. They paid the entire bill with nothing out of my pocket. Hospital took care of everything with only a phone call from me.
I have heard good things about World Nomads. Unfortunately, they will not insure anyone over the age of 69. No good for the old man I'm married to.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
We booked a cruise and are purchasing their travel insurance. It covers things like if we need to cancel due to illness or if the cruise is canceled for some reason, missing luggage, medical, etc. Since I'm traveling with 2 kids I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Anyone have a personal good experience with their purchased travel insurance? If so, which company do you recommend? Specifically for medical emergencies. I will travel later this year and taking an elderly relative with me also. Thanks.
I usually use the insurance company recommended by the travel agent. I have not traveled much yet and only would insure a trip that runs $2K and up per person. Most overseas trips are going to be in that range and travel within the US I would not worry about the medical insurance like you do overseas. It is especially true if you used a travel agent to make your reservations. All of those trips are pre-paid so accommodations are paid for in advance where if you were booking on your own that part of the expense is not paid directly.

Travel insurance will even help if someone in your immediate family has a medical emergency and you cannot travel or have to cut it short. Oh on my trip to Ecuador our travel agent Audley Travel uses TravelGuard. The price was better than my insurance company could give me for the same coverage by a lot.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
> Medicare does not cover medical expenses incurred while outside the US.

True. But some Medigap policies partially cover emergency care outside the US.

As a relatively healthy person I would feel comfortable with that coverage alone in Western Europe.

Once (quite some time ago) I had to go to an emergency room in Germany. They treated me, took my name and address, and sent me off. Several months later I got a bill in the mail. I think it was about $10. Don't remember for sure because it was small.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Travel insurance, you know the commercial for AMEX? Don't leave home without it? Same applies for travel insurance, especially if you are leaving the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel