U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a personal good experience with their purchased travel insurance? If so, which company do you recommend? Specifically for medical emergencies. I will travel later this year and taking an elderly relative with me also. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM

4,900 posts, read 9,659,628 times
JL, will you be travelling domestically or internationally? Have you looked into the cost of travel insurance? When we went to Italy last year, we found that the cost of travel insurance for anyone over 70 years old to be prohibitively expensive. We decided to chance it without insurance.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:14 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,145,583 times
I've had good experiences with Travelguard, Travelex, and Travel Safe. If you'd like help selecting the right policy for this trip, check out tripinsurance store.com. You can buy from them online, but they also have a real office you can call to get personalized advice.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:29 PM

165 posts, read 124,662 times
Yes, I have had a very positive experience with travel insurance. I regret that I don't remember what company it was, though. It happened that my husband was hospitalised the day before we were to leave for vacation. I called the claims number as soon as it became clear we would have to cancel our plans. The agent was compassionate and efficient. The claim form was emailed to me, I completed it and the medical personnel completed their part. I emailed it back, and we had a check within a week. What especially impressed me was that we are both tall so always pay the premiums for seats with more legroom, and the insurance company reimbursed those monies in addition to the base price of the tickets. I really didn't expect that. It was a substantial sum of money.

I'm a believer. For cheap, short jaunts I probably would not spring for insurance, but for big ticket vacations I would never go without it. Relatively, it's not a lot of money for the premium.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:29 PM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
JL, will you be travelling domestically or internationally? Have you looked into the cost of travel insurance? When we went to Italy last year, we found that the cost of travel insurance for anyone over 70 years old to be prohibitively expensive. We decided to chance it without insurance.
What did you consider as "prohibitively expensive" ?

As a 72 y/o, I went the the UK last Sept for 3 weeks. My cost for a very comprehensive medical and travel policy was $221. Thankfully I did not have to use it, but to me it was cheap "peace of mind", and was just part of the cost of the trip.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 PM

37,948 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Travel insurance? What kind? Why you think you need one? I never had any, and I travel quite a bit.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Travel insurance? What kind? Why you think you need one?
The OP said he's going to be traveling with an elderly relative. Medicare does not cover medical expenses incurred while outside the US. Many people who are not yet 65 have health insurance policies which don't offer international coverage, either. And even those policies which do generally don't cover medical evacuation back to the US (which can easily top $100,000 if evacuation from a remote destination is needed).

So if the OP is planning an international trip, an insurance policy which offers primary (not secondary) coverage of emergency medical expenses and medical evacuation is a wise purchase. (And I had a family member who used that coverage; the policy cost me a few hundred dollars but saved me thousands. Never think it can't happen to you!)

Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Travel insurance is a bonus when elder / (and younger)... especially covering cancellations / country evacuations / trips home to medical care. It is very cost effective. (Unless you are foreign based and traveling TO THE USA!!!! ) Many 'non-national' seniors can no longer come to USA as 'reasonable' HC systems REFUSE to cover USA expenses. Especially if pre-existing conditions. Even cancer in remission / likely not need care for that while on a 'vacation'.

We used Travel Insurance as primary for our one yr RTW, ~ $800 per 6 month policy (for 2 persons), or only about 7% of what our USA premiums would be for the same time frame (which would NOT cover us internationally) ). Claims required diligent records and WAITING, but they were covered.

World Nomads, tho I would shop deeper next time. (I only bought AFTER we had left and were in some dangerous spots and in potential of HC needs)

Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 AM

15,060 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The OP said he's going to be traveling with an elderly relative. Medicare does not cover medical expenses incurred while outside the US. Many people who are not yet 65 have health insurance policies which don't offer international coverage, either. And even those policies which do generally don't cover medical evacuation back to the US (which can easily top $100,000 if evacuation from a remote destination is needed).

So if the OP is planning an international trip, an insurance policy which offers primary (not secondary) coverage of emergency medical expenses and medical evacuation is a wise purchase. (And I had a family member who used that coverage; the policy cost me a few hundred dollars but saved me thousands. Never think it can't happen to you!)
EXACTLY THIS. We have used travel insurance for small things several times. We only purchase the type that covers medical emergencies, and only when we travel out of the USA (including cruises in the Carribean)

I don't give a damn if it covers lost baggage or trip delay - if we can afford to travel, we can afford those expenses. I care about evacuations and medical emergencies.

We have a good friend who contracted pneumonia in Zambia. Thank goodness he had travel insurance. They flew he and his wife to Capetown, covered 100% of his ten day hospital stay, then flew him AND AN RN back to the states in business class. His wife flew coach. I can't even imagine the expenses of all that.

Another acquaintance who had a heart attack on a cruise ship. Required helicopter evacuation with paramedics.. Cost was about $35k.

Damn straight I'm getting travel insurance for medical coverage!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 AM

I have bought travel insurance for a few US trips, but they were expensive pre-paid trips (like rafting down the Grand Canyon) where I would have lost thousands of dollars if I'd had to cancel at the last minute. But those are the exceptions; on most US trips all I'd be out is the airfare and maybe the first night's hotel cost, and that's a loss I can bear.

It's medical issues outside of the US I mostly worry about. Since I don't want to have to raid my retirement savings or take out a second mortgage to pay the costs of an international vacation gone bad, I regard trip insurance for international travels as mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel