U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,492,875 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC
Savannah GA
Charleston SC
Austin, TX
Richmond, VA
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM

852 posts, read 994,454 times
Cities I've visited and really enjoyed that aren't the top-tier marque touristy cities.

Asheville, NC
Charleston, SC
Austin, TX
Traverse City, MI
Grand Rapids / Holland, MI
Pittsburgh, PA
Grand Junction, CO
Flagstaff, AZ
Madison, WI
Louisville, KY

Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,780,971 times
Cleveland was really fun. I actually rented a house in Amish country and drove in during the days. Great food, sports, beach, parks, rock and roll HOF, cool farmers market/special groceries, craft beer, etc.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:03 AM

15,094 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
I'm planning to do Flagstaff over Christmas! I know a few people who just returned from Hot Springs, may have to check it out! Thanks!
You may very well have snow in Flagstaff during Christmas. And the roads are dangerous. Frankly, spring summer, and fall are MUCH better choices for that area.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
I liked Grand Junction, CO too.

Didn't put it down at first because we were there when it was more active than usual and I didn't know what was normal fun level there. But it's the intersection of the Colorado outdoorsy-cute downtown-beer and good food culture with Utah red rocks. Colorado National Monument doesn't have national park status for political reasons, not because it lacks merit, and it's right outside of town. Also an easy overnight trip to Moab from there.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 AM

852 posts, read 994,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I liked Grand Junction, CO too.

Didn't put it down at first because we were there when it was more active than usual and I didn't know what was normal fun level there. But it's the intersection of the Colorado outdoorsy-cute downtown-beer and good food culture with Utah red rocks. Colorado National Monument doesn't have national park status for political reasons, not because it lacks merit, and it's right outside of town. Also an easy overnight trip to Moab from there.
Yeah, I loved in it GJT. My wife and I hit it after a weeklong trip through the Utah parks. Flew into Vegas, and flew out of Grand Junction. Wished had another day to spend there.
We were there in early-November but during one of those weeks were it was getting below freezing at night but into the 60s during the day.

Regarding Flagstaff above, a year prior we hit up Flagstaff in early November and in the midst of a snowstorm. The town was iced over for 2-3 days but very pretty none the less.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 AM

78,918 posts, read 70,720,442 times
Quote:
I'm planning to do more travel within the United States and I'm looking for ideas. I'd like to check out some medium sized cities. I like less overwhelming places where its easy to meet people and relax! I like art, history, music, festivals, parks, and great food! Any ideas?!
This describes Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe was founded before the US was, so it oozes history. The city operates 5 museums, including a history museum, and themed art museums (Native American art, Folk Art, etc. ) There are art fairs almost every weekend, and in the summer, there are a couple of huge art markets that take over downtown, the annual Indian Market being the largest. There's also a summer ceremonial calendar in the Native communities outside of town, as well. In te early fall, tere's a festival marking Santa Fe's founding, that involve hispanic history reenactments. It's a city of art galleries, a city dedicated to art. Summer is opera season, also.

A note of caution, though--Santa Fe is expensive.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,565,366 times
Quote:
I'm planning to do more travel within the United States and I'm looking for ideas. I'd like to check out some medium sized cities. I like less overwhelming places where its easy to meet people and relax! I like art, history, music, festivals, parks, and great food! Any ideas?!
I always wanted to visit

Portland, OR
Salt Lake city, UT
Boise,ID

In Texas, Austin fits the bill perfectly.

I visited Cincy once and it had all the ingredients to be a great city. It had beautiful churches, parks and had a different semi urban feel.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,233,168 times
Burlington, Vermont

Nice little town on the shores of Lake Champlain. Vermont's Green mountains are about an hour away. It has a pedestrian street with lots of restaurants, there is hiking and biking around the lake. I am not sure if the water there is swimmable... It has a relaxed vibe overall. It does get really cold in winter but it is a lot of fun if the lake freezes over and people start walking on ice...

Old 07-11-2017, 08:32 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,002,945 times
Gatlinburg, TN

https://www.gatlinburg.com/

Myrtle Beach, SC

Myrtle Beach SC: Myrtle Beach Hotels, Resorts, Attractions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or